Knights of the Zodiac (2023)

Goatface

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Knights of the Zodiac (2023)

Tagline: Go beyond your destiny.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Tomek Baginski

Cast: Mackenyu, Famke Janssen, Madison Iseman, Diego Tinoco, Mark Dacascos, Nick Stahl, Sean Bean, Godfrey Gao, Caitlin M Hutson, Kaylan Teague

Release: 2023-04-27

Plot: When a headstrong street orphan, Seiya, in search of his abducted sister unwittingly taps into hidden powers, he discovers he might be the only person alive who can protect a reincarnated goddess, sent to watch over humanity. Can he let his past go and embrace his destiny to become a Knight of the Zodiac?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fuck it, I'll watch it. This is exactly the sort of cheese I want on a weekend night with some alcohol.

• 3Like
  • 2Great Review
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if this were manga accurate, sean bean would have found the reincarnation of the goddess athena(the blond) in greece, and in order to protect her w/ saints(knights) he fathered over 100 orphans (every mother is listed as an accidental death) and put them in an orphanage he founded, even tho they are all his kids, he's basically nick cannon.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Umm, this is a live action version of Saint Seiya based on the description. Saint Seiya is a shonen manga/anime that has been made, remade, and expanded on since the 80s.

Edit: Watched the trailer, 100% Saint Seiya. Anime adaptations to live action usually do not spark joy.

Szlia

Somehow, this found its way to a theater near me. Probably because the serie was very popular in the european countries that showed a lot of anime on TV in the '80s and '90s (Italy, Spain, France).

You have to wonder what people are thinking when they create movies like this. When you dig out such an old, beloved and extremely successful franchise, why do writers in charge of the adaptation think they can somehow be more clever than the original writers? This film follows a number of plot points of its source material, but it adds things that are completely out of place. Here: humor, technology and an uninteresting antagonist. So, watching the movie two things are clear: it is not good and it is not the Knights of the Zodiac.

Also, a good 50% of the aura of the TV show comes from the orchestral music of Seiji Yokoyama. The style is a bit dated, but it is iconic and memorable and without it, the nostalgia machine cannot work. Yokoyama died a few years ago, but you could use pre-existing material or at least try and do something in the same style. Without it, again, it is not the Knights of the Zodiac.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fuck it, I'll watch it. This is exactly the sort of cheese I want on a weekend night with some alcohol.
Shit. I watched the trailer just now, and thought almost exactly this same thing...only to find out I said it already a couple months ago.
Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Somehow, this found its way to a theater near me. Probably because the serie was very popular in the european countries that showed a lot of anime on TV in the '80s and '90s (Italy, Spain, France).

You have to wonder what people are thinking when they create movies like this. When you dig out such an old, beloved and extremely successful franchise, why do writers in charge of the adaptation think they can somehow be more clever than the original writers? This film follows a number of plot points of its source material, but it adds things that are completely out of place. Here: humor, technology and an uninteresting antagonist. So, watching the movie two things are clear: it is not good and it is not the Knights of the Zodiac.

Also, a good 50% of the aura of the TV show comes from the orchestral music of Seiji Yokoyama. The style is a bit dated, but it is iconic and memorable and without it, the nostalgia machine cannot work. Yokoyama died a few years ago, but you could use pre-existing material or at least try and do something in the same style. Without it, again, it is not the Knights of the Zodiac.

yea, new stuff is garbage, look at this junk as ass ryu sei ken from omega, no feels

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to say this is IMDB 4/10 bad, but yeah. It ain't great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database