Knives Out (2019)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The SJW stuff is sprinkled here and there enough to elicit a few eyerolls, but certainly not enough to taint the whole movie like so many others today do. They do make fun of the daughter and her expensive “sjw degree” and “crypto Marxist feminism” to be fair.
Movie was decent enough 7/10 for me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I still didn’t find the SJW element as heavy handed as some movies I’ve hated as a result of it.

Linda (Jamie Lee Curtis) built her own business from the ground up — she only needed a $1,000,000 loan from her daddy to do it (Trump reference). Joni (Toni Collette) is basically a glorified Instagram influencer, and that’s probably working out great. Linda’s husband Richard (Don Johnson) is cheating on her. Even worse: He’s a Trump supporter. Walt’s teenage son Jacob (Jaeden Martell) may be the only other self-identified Republican in the family, but he’s basically a mini Ben Shapiro. And it’s not like the rest of the family are doing all that much to separate themselves from MAGA politics. They tell Marta that she’s ‘part of the family,’ but when it comes to splitting up Harlan’s will, well, things are going to get complicated. Let’s just say that the ‘I would have voted for Obama for a third term’ energy is strong with this crowd, every single member of which feels like they deserve what’s coming to them. And do they — they just don’t know what that is yet.

No?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The SJW stuff is sprinkled here and there enough to elicit a few eyerolls, but certainly not enough to taint the whole movie like so many others today do. They do make fun of the daughter and her expensive “sjw degree” and “crypto Marxist feminism” to be fair.
Movie was decent enough 7/10 for me

Those are the only 2 things and those scenes happen so fast that you can barely catch them.

I'm almost certain they were inserted so that the cast and director can have plausible deniability when they claim that this isnt a slam on Trump and his supporters.

The main headliners are all vocal Trump haters: Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon

And certainly others are picking up on it as well

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The SJW shit knocks a few points off, but otherwise it's a solid murder mystery film. Everyone in the family is portrayed as a piece of shit, even the crypto-Marxist feminist.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
hqdefault.jpg
Jamie Lee Curtis in this movie looks like a character with no chin from a MadTV skit.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Those are the only 2 things and those scenes happen so fast that you can barely catch them.

I'm almost certain they were inserted so that the cast and director can have plausible deniability when they claim that this isnt a slam on Trump and his supporters.

The main headliners are all vocal Trump haters: Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon

And certainly others are picking up on it as well

Yeah there's no doubt it's there, but it doesn't permeate the entire movie nor define the characters themselves throughout the show. It's basically isolated to the initial family meet up for the most part, and even then imho Don Johnson and co despite being the "assholes" put up a fair argument about "legal immigrants". It could have sadly been representative of any family political debate in this day and age.

Does it take a shot at Trump and white men? Sure, but unlike lots of stuff out there today, we aren't constantly micro-dosed on social justice messaging throughout the whole movie. I think the only other moment where I felt I was being programmed is when Shannon at the end tries to blackmail Marta over the fact that her mom was an illegal.

Maybe I'm becoming desensitized due to the deluge of SJW trash out there, but this was fairly tame compared to a lot of the other hamfisted SJW garbage coming out.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Yeah there's no doubt it's there, but it doesn't permeate the entire movie nor define the characters themselves throughout the show. It's basically isolated to the initial family meet up for the most part, and even then imho Don Johnson and co despite being the "assholes" put up a fair argument about "legal immigrants". It could have sadly been representative of any family political debate in this day and age.

Does it take a shot at Trump and white men? Sure, but unlike lots of stuff out there today, we aren't constantly micro-dosed on social justice messaging throughout the whole movie. I think the only other moment where I felt I was being programmed is when Shannon at the end tries to blackmail Marta over the fact that her mom was an illegal.

Maybe I'm becoming desensitized due to the deluge of SJW trash out there, but this was fairly tame compared to a lot of the other hamfisted SJW garbage coming out.

That’s pretty much my feelings on it.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

They finally broke Frenzied Wombat Frenzied Wombat down.

spronk

FPS noob
shall we share a kombucha (fair trade sourced) and discuss our internalized misogyny and transphobia

honestly at this point if a movie doesn't have a tranny i consider it an automatic 6/10

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
shall we share a kombucha (fair trade sourced) and discuss our internalized misogyny and transphobia

honestly at this point if a movie doesn't have a tranny i consider it an automatic 6/10

Yeah I just realized there was no LGBT presence in this movie. What total bigoted bullshit. Changing my rating from 7/10 to 5/10

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I really liked this, southern accent Daniel Craig alone was worth the price of a ticket.

• 1Solidarity

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just saw it. No surprise that the discussion here is about a sprinkling of alt-right and SJW jokes (protip: both sides got good-natured ribbing). Some of you really are the snowflakes you claim to loathe.

6/10. Fun to look at and a few good dark laughs but definitely way too long. Way too much telling instead of showing, especially at the end during the final whodunit monologue.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Politics aside I simply refused to see anything that Rian Johnson has any involvement in after the last Star Wars movie. All other arguments are Superfluous at this point.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Caliane

Politics aside I simply refused to see anything that Rian Johnson has any involvement in after the last Star Wars movie. All other arguments are Superfluous at this point.
and lets be clear. Looper was a giant piece of shit too. I have no idea why the hell that turd is so high on rotten tomatoes.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Looper was a prime example of a good concept for a movie that turned out to be covered in rivers of shit. JGL, Daniels, and Blunt tried their best but a mangled script, a shitty director, and the fucking bring-down that is Willis fucked it up beyond being enjoyable.

Szlia

This movie is bad on many levels. The main offenders for me are:

- Most characters are very poorly written. On one hand you have a bunch of uninteresting, unfunny caricatures, on the other you have that undefined mess that is Craig's character.
- The core of the plot should have been the nurse trying to sabotage the investigation from the inside. The film has a whole three scenes of that and they are not even very good. Just imagine the scene with the footsteps in the mud if you had Peter Sellers acting and Blake Edwards directing or, in a totally different style, Stephen Chow at the helm or even Gore Verbinski. It could be hilarious, but here they just got a pity smile out of me.

spronk

FPS noob
Rian Johnson has the same problem M Night Shamalamadingdong has, he keeps trying to do his "shtick" instead of focusing on writing a good story. His shtick is constantly to "subvert tropes", and thats the main focus of Knives Out - subverting the classic murder mystery tropes of the brilliant but eccentric detective, the femme fatale, the rich quirky family, the elderly rich guy who has a million enemies, the incompetent cops, etc, etc. The entire movie is trying to put new spins on that instead of letting an organic story build out of "what happens when the servants are in conflict with their masters".

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
6.5/10, maybe 7/10? Decent, but nothing special here. Solid little Agatha Christie-Murder Mystery family watch.