Knives Out (2019)

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched it about a month ago. It's a good one, but expected better, especially considering the great cast. Well, I managed to laugh at least.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This is getting a sequel/prequel focusing on Craig's character.

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
This legitimately felt like a complete waste of so much talent. I still feel like there has to be more to this story because the basic premise is so fucking stupid that it's breaking my mind.
How can a nurse that can subconsciously distinguish two different clear liquids based on viscosity not understand that her patient isn't experiencing any of the symptoms of giving him 33 times his dose of morphine? Wouldn't he just be rendered instantly unconscious or barely be able to function instead of calmly walking around and piecing together a murder alibi? She's seen him under the effects of 3mg of morphine and I assume she would recognize what he's like when he's under the effects of none

Is the gist of this movie that he just wanted to kill himself in the most convoluted way possible and Ana de Armas is a fucking idiot?

I was thinking that this was going to end up being an unreliable narrator story and I think that I was giving it too much credit. Rian Johnson writes like a little kid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
This legitimately felt like a complete waste of so much talent. I still feel like there has to be more to this story because the basic premise is so fucking stupid that it's breaking my mind.
How can a nurse that can subconsciously distinguish two different clear liquids based on viscosity not understand that her patient isn't experiencing any of the symptoms of giving him 33 times his dose of morphine? Wouldn't he just be rendered instantly unconscious or barely be able to function instead of calmly walking around and piecing together a murder alibi? She's seen him under the effects of 3mg of morphine and I assume she would recognize what he's like when he's under the effects of none

Is the gist of this movie that he just wanted to kill himself in the most convoluted way possible and Ana de Armas is a fucking idiot?

I was thinking that this was going to end up being an unreliable narrator story and I think that I was giving it too much credit. Rian Johnson writes like a little kid.

I watched this with someone in medicine and they immediately complained about how inaccurate this was, ha.

Rogean

Trakanon Raider
Just watched this and had to mention this somewhere:

They went through the trouble to get Ransom to confess at the end because they feel they wouldn't get him with a murder charge otherwise. The writers forgot to take into account the fact that Massachusetts is an all-party state. Everyone in a conversation needs to be aware that it's being recorded, otherwise it's not admissible in court and the person recording is committing a Felony (The State Trooper, who should know the law...)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I watched this with someone in medicine and they immediately complained about how inaccurate this was, ha.

Yeah that part is really ridiculous. First of all the Toradol dose was wrong, the standard dose of Toradol for analgesia is 15mg IV push, although people who don't know the newer research that shows it has a ceiling efficacy of around 10mg will still order it at 30mg IV push. Even the standard IM dose was 60mg, but the patient was getting it in an IV not as a shot in his muscles. The 100mg is a retarded dose.

Morphine comes in small vials, our hospital typically has them in 4mg vials so that becomes our standard dose, but if it was 5mg vials it would be 5mg. I've never seen a vial bigger than 10mg, but I did google search and found a vial showing 1000mg of morphine? I guess that would be if the patient is on patient controlled analgesia pump on the floor, or maybe for pharmacy to do mix it? But the idea she could draw up 100mg from a standard vial seems ridiculous. But I know nothing about what sized vials of morphine they would give a home health nurse, etc. And the patient would be prescribed morphine tablets or other oral pain meds instead of having a picc line just to get outpatient pain meds that all have oral options. And the idea that anyone could tell the difference is laughable.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I thought this was "decent"? Really, I just enjoyed it because of Armas. Jesus, she is so incredibly hot. Perfection in 2049.

spronk

FPS noob
I loved her in BR2049 but thought she was pretty boring in this movie, but I guess the character is supposed to be so I dunno

If you really enjoyed this movie check out Bad Times at the El Royale, it released in 2018 but I just got around to watching it last weekend. The first 2/3'ds of the movie is fantastic and slow but very cool / mystery driven. I'm not sure which is a better murder mystery movie, Knives Out or El Royale. I'd probably give the nod to Knives Out for wrapping up better but El Royale was more atmospheric. It stars Jeff Bridges, Chris Hemsworth (Thor), and Jon Hamm.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I loved her in BR2049 but thought she was pretty boring in this movie, but I guess the character is supposed to be so I dunno

If you really enjoyed this movie check out Bad Times at the El Royale, it released in 2018 but I just got around to watching it last weekend. The first 2/3'ds of the movie is fantastic and slow but very cool / mystery driven. I'm not sure which is a better murder mystery movie, Knives Out or El Royale. I'd probably give the nod to Knives Out for wrapping up better but El Royale was more atmospheric. It stars Jeff Bridges, Chris Hemsworth (Thor), and Jon Hamm.
Check out Ready or Not if you haven't already.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This was entertaining enough. My only complaints was “you have ten minutes until you feel any effects” did not seem right to me at all. Maybe if it was pills. I also did not like Craig’s accent at all. It sounded like he was trying to do a bad impression of Kevin Spacey in House of cards. If he was going for Kentuckian backwoods he was way off.

Will check out Ready or Not next, it looked more up my alley but the wife didn’t want to watch gore.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah ready or not is amazing, Happy Death Day (1 & 2) are also really fun in the same vibe. None of the 3 are super gory or jump-scary, a few gory moments but overall pretty tame compared to the crazy horror movies. The lead chick for Ready or Not also looks exactly like Margot Robbie, its nuts

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
yeah ready or not is amazing, Happy Death Day (1 & 2) are also really fun in the same vibe. None of the 3 are super gory or jump-scary, a few gory moments but overall pretty tame compared to the crazy horror movies. The lead chick for Ready or Not also looks exactly like Margot Robbie, its nuts

I had to stop thr movie and double check to make sure it wasn't haha.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was entertaining enough. My only complaints was “you have ten minutes until you feel any effects” did not seem right to me at all. Maybe if it was pills. I also did not like Craig’s accent at all. It sounded like he was trying to do a bad impression of Kevin Spacey in House of cards. If he was going for Kentuckian backwoods he was way off.

Will check out Ready or Not next, it looked more up my alley but the wife didn’t want to watch gore.
Just watch the lesbian bath scene. That's the only part that matters.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This over after 45 minutes, so it's like watching a really long episode where you're just waiting for it to finish. Still, I didn't hate it. Craig's accent is trash, not sure if that's intentional. There's a lot of shitty people doing sorta shitty, mostly selfish shit. Fuck pretty much everyone in the film. A lot of talent for a hard lower tier movie. But that's probably the only reason I watched it with Rian Fuckson at the helm.

I just wish they'd make True Lies available on Movies Anywhere, ya fucks!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Morphine comes in small vials, our hospital typically has them in 4mg vials so that becomes our standard dose, but if it was 5mg vials it would be 5mg. I've never seen a vial bigger than 10mg, but I did google search and found a vial showing 1000mg of morphine? I guess that would be if the patient is on patient controlled analgesia pump on the floor, or maybe for pharmacy to do mix it? But the idea she could draw up 100mg from a standard vial seems ridiculous. But I know nothing about what sized vials of morphine they would give a home health nurse, etc. And the patient would be prescribed morphine tablets or other oral pain meds instead of having a picc line just to get outpatient pain meds that all have oral options. And the idea that anyone could tell the difference is laughable.

What is your procedure on drawing? Are you using a filter needle to draw from glass?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Craig's accent is trash, not sure if that's intentional.

The Last Jedi says, yeah, its intentional.

Del Toro tried to shift the blame for the accent onto himself, but it sounded like damage control. Ultimately Rian Johnson has final say on that.

We've already seen one movie Rian wrote and directed where a character had a completely made up terrible accent. Saying we aren't sure if its intentional or not at this point seems dubious.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
A Mexican replaces a white family in America. Very subtle. Eat shit.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What is your procedure on drawing? Are you using a filter needle to draw from glass?

I've never seen a nurse at a hospital I work with use a glass top vial for morphine. They all are the little membrane tops that you penetrate with a needle. Some of our other narcotics (dilaudid) come in those 1mg things that you can put into some kind of weird syringe to push on the patient. I don't know the details because I'm not a nurse and we never learned that shit in school. When I do central lines I have the glass top lidocaine vials and I just break the top, the fill needle has a filter on it. It's baked into the kit so we can't fuck up. Still just seems arcane. Just give me a small membrane top lidocaine vial.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've never seen a nurse at a hospital I work with use a glass top vial for morphine. They all are the little membrane tops that you penetrate with a needle. Some of our other narcotics (dilaudid) come in those 1mg things that you can put into some kind of weird syringe to push on the patient. I don't know the details because I'm not a nurse and we never learned that shit in school. When I do central lines I have the glass top lidocaine vials and I just break the top, the fill needle has a filter on it. It's baked into the kit so we can't fuck up. Still just seems arcane. Just give me a small membrane top lidocaine vial.
my man w/ the almost 2 months response, sounds like youre a medical guy, i really hope it's not in the ER george clooney.