Knock at the Cabin (2023)

Szlia

Saw that the other day as the resident Shyamalan apologist. I didn't read the book (wasn't aware it was one), so I can't comment on the changes he made when writing the screenplay. It's cleanly directed, but lacks the occasional moments of brilliance Shyamalan sometimes provide. It's competently acted, with Bautista giving a very commendable performance. The problem is that the basic idea is too dumb to create tension and too sterile to allow the situation or the characters to evolve. Still, for a film where not much happens, the pacing is done well enough to carry us through without boredom (that results in a 100 minutes affair in stark contrast with many overlong films). It's just... dull.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
God what a complete waste of time.

I can suspend disbelief for movies but this whole movie was so fucking unrealistic it drove me insane.

Fuck this movie, don't waste your time.

1. It's 2023. The house has a landline. Of course it doesn't work.
  2. They show a little bit of the family's background and the whole "Always together" thing. Then when Angry Father finally gets a hold of the gun he doesn't shoot the bitch right off the bangle and then doesn't shoot the main baddy even though he literally gets a chance to with a clean shot almost immediately. If this was any man with a family he loved that was being attacked by delusional psychopaths (like he thought they were) he would have shot them both dead immediately.
  3. Sort of related to point #1 but how is the TV getting a broadcast signal to MULTIPLE stations if they're so remote? Is the TV on wifi/streaming? If that is the case why aren't the cellphones they have capable of making a call over WiFi? Fuck you.
  4. I'm fine with a little mixing up the races, LGBTQBBQAIRBNBLMNOP+, sexes, etc but the whole "u GuIz ArE jUsT aFtEr Us CaUsE wErE gAy!" thing made the entire premise feel completely forced. 100% pandering. It added nothing to the story and fuck you Hollywood for doing this bullshit.
  5. Same thing with the cleft lip. Why? So Bautista could say "Oooo I don't have any visible scars, I'm scarred on the inside bro. I'm so sad!"
  6. Outside of like 2-3 lines the entire fucking movie is the same conversation over and over again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
That is a pretty harsh take, but I am also in the camp of mindlessly throwing my money at Shyamalan hoping to see bits and pieces of the old days. Also in the camp of not knowing there was a book.

Overall I think it is worth a watch. I have a couple of base metrics for feeling like a film is decent. The first two are 'Did I use my phone while watching it?' (No) and 'Did I pause it to go to the restroom?' (Yes). I like Bautista, I think he is making a good go at acting. I think having a gorilla with tattoos as a 2nd grade teacher is also comical. The other three were a bit of a miss / forgettable.

The problem for me is there was no twist, no Shyamalan, it was just a movie. I hope 'discovering' they were the 4 horsemen wasn't considered the twist. Wanting to know the decision they made did keep my attention though. I really didn't expect them to start offing each other.

#1 / #3 - My immersion was too deep to care about those. #1 made enough sense to me but you are right in that #3 would then not make sense.

#2 - I took this more as he didn't think they were full on delusional psychopaths by that point. There was enough doubt in his mind and killing people is hard. While he wasn't as onboard as Daddy Jesus, he seemed to be slowly saying and disbelieving just to convince himself.

#4 - They were pulling at a thread with this being a group of people used by Rupert for a bigoted hate crime vs. end of days but that fell off quick. The twist that could have been. The guidance counselor bit in the beginning tickled me a bit.

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
I saw it just because it was Shyamalan, but I agree the premise of the movie is very flawed.

The people who show up at the Cabin just really should have a more convincing angle of attack. World's gonna end? You'd think they could organize something more compelling and convincing than showing up looking like an archetypal suicide cult.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
give a faggot a gun and target literally 6inches away and...
e02e29a32649b3d28327d25b5199fb29.jpg

did she activate blm power?

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
i thought entire movie was stupid and predictale . and never did care if the suicide squad was telling truth or not

• 1Garbage

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I heard someone bitching about the movie at dinner. Is the movie really about a gay couple being perfect and that's why they were chosen or somthing along those lines lol

I rewatched the trailer and now can only think of Modern family couple being in the cabin

300.modern.ls.11812.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I heard someone bitching about the movie at dinner. Is the movie really about a gay couple being perfect and that's why they were chosen or somthing along those lines lol

I rewatched the trailer and now can only think of Modern family couple being in the cabin

View attachment 460910
their love for each other is the purest thing in the world

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Zzen

Potato del Grande
This is genuinely the worst piece of cinema I have ever seen.

Holy fucking shit.

• 3Worf
  • 1Great Review
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was dragged into seeing this without knowing a single thing about it, even who was in it.

Judgment of the movie aside and just thinking about the premise, if you were Bautista, what would your strategy be in order to survive? Biggest thing he didn't do was not let the TV run constantly after the plagues started, given how it appeared they had some pre-made video they were just repeating instead of it being live TV, and that would be less likely the more video they had. But really, I can't think of anything that would work given that there was no real evidence of the apocalypse before Bautista died and lightning started pouring down.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Signs was good.
Signs was retarded. Look I give him credit for getting Great performances out of actors, and he shoots beautiful films, but water melts the aliens?

Understand the deeper theme was lost of faith, and regaining it, but God damn. I haven't seen that movie in a long time but if I remember I think they aliens were coming to eat people, which are predominantly made of water. I'm sure the movie was discussed ad nauseam when it came out but, it's far from a good movie.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is Unbreakable the only good Shamalamalon movie?

I was all in until Lady in the Water., that was the first miss. I think Unbreakable was his peak. I liked 6th Sense, Signs, and The Village. After that point the only things I liked were in the same universe, Split / Glass, but nothing matches Unbreakable for me.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Devil was solid as well.

I remember reading something that implied M Night hated some deal he had with Sony, and that out of spite he started making hilariously bad movies out of spite? Starting with The Happening I believe.

Old article probably from 10+ years ago. I think it's fair to say guy is just a weird enigma. He'll do Unbreakable, Signs, and the Sixth Sense and then dogshit - then Split then these latest movies.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Is Unbreakable the only good Shamalamalon movie?
Devil was good. Sixth Sense was good.

I also love Signs besides the fact the aliens being killed by water is mega retarded.

I also kind of like Lady in The Water but I treat it like a fantasy film. I fully understand why most people hate it.