KOTOR Reboot

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
So how do we not already have an RDR2/GTA5 reskin with Star Wars in KOTOR era? Huge fucking open world campaign where you pick what type of SW character you want to be and then a huge online component with tons of stuff to do in perpetuity? Fuck, they could do it with WH40k also and I would pay full price.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
because star wars is an anomaly. no one knows what the audience wants, including the audience. so the people in charge are put in charge specifically in a risk assessment capacity and end up making products by committee. but because know one knows what anyone actually wants out of star wars, it ends up just being a giant waste of everyone's time and the product that gets put out is so devoid of actual soul that it does nothing for the brand. except, it's an anomaly. so SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE loves it and buys it/watches it so many times that the higher ups think it just needs to be tweaked a little.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It was also hard as fuck. Those SNES StarWars games were so unforgiving

Yeah the SNES Star Wars games were harder than Souls back in their day. I was obsessed with them for a while in 1993-1995. Actually Super Empire Strikes back is the reason I even got into Star Wars to begin with, since it prompted me to go back and watch all of the movies. Previously I'd only seen Return of the Jedi as a (young) kid and didn't understand it without the context of the previous movies. So in late 1993 I got pretty obsessed with Super Empire, then went back and watched all the movies. Super Star Wars and Super Return of the Jedi were also great games, but like the movies, Super Empire is probably the best of the 3 games. Or maybe it's just my nostalgia talking.

Lately I've been trying to get into Jedi: Fallen Order, but I can't seem to get into it the way I got into old Star Wars games.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So how do we not already have an RDR2/GTA5 reskin with Star Wars in KOTOR era? Huge fucking open world campaign where you pick what type of SW character you want to be and then a huge online component with tons of stuff to do in perpetuity? Fuck, they could do it with WH40k also and I would pay full price.

Currently it is because Disney owns the IP and they are risk adverse. On top of that, the suits probably don't understand gaming. So, they will only give rights to AAA studios who talk the same suit language (hence EA having almost total control).

While Rockstar (Take-Two) is AAA and might be able to pitch Disney, I doubt they would want to give Disney a huge chunk of the profits, when they can just make a GTA 6, and have it all.

WH40k, on the other hand, is more likely to see a wide selection of games, as they are as loose with licenses as Lucas Arts was in the 90s. Unfortunately, this can be a turn off for some quality game studios, as they may feel the IP is tainted by bad games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Amod Amod Can we have rumor removed from thread title, since it’s no longer a rumor? :D

• 1Like

Caliane

can you also remove KOTOR, since its no longer Kotor, and now going to be some other game wearing Kotor as a husk?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lol

"why do you want to work on KOTOR"
"its NOT my favorite star wars game"
"you're hired!!"

Unfuckingbelievable.. it's like they are purposefully destroying Star Wars in every genre.

This game is DOA.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
It was also hard as fuck. Those SNES StarWars games were so unforgiving
Super Empire Strikes back. those damn bats and spikes
1631562937476.png

• 1Repost
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
because star wars is an anomaly. no one knows what the audience wants, including the audience. so the people in charge are put in charge specifically in a risk assessment capacity and end up making products by committee. but because know one knows what anyone actually wants out of star wars, it ends up just being a giant waste of everyone's time and the product that gets put out is so devoid of actual soul that it does nothing for the brand. except, it's an anomaly. so SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE loves it and buys it/watches it so many times that the higher ups think it just needs to be tweaked a little.
Bzzt wrong. Favreau and Filoni know exactly what people want in star wars.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

do they? or is it just that everyone else is just THAT incompetent that anything else is a godsend? i mean, don't get me wrong i like clone wars and mando as much as everyone else, but i was here watching mando with everyone else and the most consistent comment made by everyone is that mando is slow and has a lot of filler. also that the last episode was awesome.

• 1Picard

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Exactly. It's like if they hire people who have a life long passion for the IP, they can do magical things. But no they went full fucking hollywood on the IP. These people don't like Star Wars. They like the commentary that surrounds it.

• 1Like

Caeden

s
do they? or is it just that everyone else is just THAT incompetent that anything else is a godsend? i mean, don't get me wrong i like clone wars and mando as much as everyone else, but i was here watching mando with everyone else and the most consistent comment made by everyone is that mando is slow and has a lot of filler. also that the last episode was awesome.
reminds me of the honest trailer for mandalorian where the dude says our expectations for live action Star Wars have fallen so low that basic competency looks like the face of God.

I’m becoming cautiously optimistic about this which still boils down to letting other people be the guinea pigs before I give dollars. I’ve seen some statements by others involved that say flat out don’t change the iconic story. I still don’t get why you need a writer then, particularly that hack. I also do not trust the guy leading it. He/him in his Twitter bio and his retweets tells me he loves to subvert a good expectation. That said, corporate may force their hand (hah) on keeping this faithful.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did demon souls have a writer who didn’t like demon souls or patriarchy’s?
She just said KOTOR was not her favorite, not that she didn't like it, but let's not let facts get in the way of your narrative.

KOTOR is a great game, yet not even close to my favorite Star Wars game.

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
She just said KOTOR was not her favorite, not that she didn't like it, but let's not let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Meh read her tweets. She hates the guys who play Star Wars. There will be annoying SJW shit in it so she can show her hipster friends how she fought the patriarchy and won. Never mind it will hurt sales. What she will do will be the same as someone who doesn’t like the game, it was the tldr version of the difference between this and the ds remake.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

For a few years, almost a decade now actually, Disney wanted to be a bit more hands off on Star Wars while they consolidated Marvel and worked on parks/entertainment/D+ so they made an exclusive deal with EA, where EA would be the only publisher allowed to make Star Wars games.

EA unfortunately has gone through a cycle where they believed only GAAS/microtransaction games will make "enough" money, so they have shit canned like... 3 or 4? star wars, open world games because they didn't think they would make enough money. It took the success of Apex (f2p) and Jedi Fallen Order (single player, no mtx) and all the massive worldwide pushback on GAAS for EA to flip yet again and "believe" in single player games again.

Fortunately as well Disney is more hands on Star Wars now and has signed other publishing deals, there are at least 6 star wars games in development currently at other studios including:

- Jedi Fallen Order 2
- KOTOR remake
- possible High Republic game, being worked on by Zenimax (Elder Scrolls Online)
- Battlefront 3 by DICE
- Mandalorian open world game in development
- another open world Star Wars game in development by Massive/Ubisoft, the company/team that did Division

plus the usual Lego games and rumors of maybe a Force Unleashed 3. Either way, the exclusive EA deal is over now and other pubs are free to pitch ideas to Disney/Lucas.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The way she says it without offering any discussion makes it look like she's just doing it to troll, be edgy, attempt at bad humor. It just comes off as prude and sanctimonious and totally fits the narrative of why the fuck is she writing the story.

She's 100% the typical TLJ/new trilogy fan that could give a fuck less about the movie and just enjoys the narrative of being on the "woke" side of criticism for the film and loves to troll anybody with a different opinion.

You know if some women hating incel had a public profile and wrote all this shit no company would touch them with an international sub contract.

• 1Like