Labyrinth...rebooted.

Sterling

El Presidente
They were working on a Dark Crystal sequel for awhile, not sure what happened with that. Probly ran out of money.
They really need to just leave the Henson stuff alone. The new version of The Muppet Show is kind of mediocre and I'm going to guess that these movies likely will be as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
Is Henson productions actually writing that show tho? I think that's the biggest difference.

His kids still run the Henson workshop tho, and they've done some good stuff such as Farscape and Mirror Mask.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
They were closer, but still way off.

I liked both versions of Dune, but my favorite is still the directors cut of Lynch's version. It just feels like the more complete film, and has the best performances.

And yes I've read the books so don't start in with that shit. The first Dune reads like the fucking Bible which is what Hebert was influenced by.

Yeah. Lynch tried to make a Cecil DeMille style Dune. Which is exactly what a dune movie should be. But Lynch didn't quite get there.

Dune is one that I could tolerate being redone. Lynch's is ok, he manages to get some of the feel of Dune in it, but it's really not very good. But really the political climate of it isn't going to be right for another 50 years. The Fremen were Al Queda.

I mean Dune (the original book) is basically an ISIS recruitment pamphlet. I really like it (the first one, even the second, then it went to shit) but it is what it is.

Cybsled

Hensons sold the Muppets to Disney. The new Muppet show isn't them.

AFAIK they really only held onto Farscape, Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. Lynch tried to make a Cecil DeMille style Dune. Which is exactly what a dune movie should be. But Lynch didn't quite get there.

Dune is one that I could tolerate being redone. Lynch's is ok, he manages to get some of the feel of Dune in it, but it's really not very good. But really the political climate of it isn't going to be right for another 50 years. The Fremen were Al Queda.

I mean Dune (the original book) is basically an ISIS recruitment pamphlet. I really like it (the first one, even the second, then it went to shit) but it is what it is.
You missed the point, sir. BIG TIME.

I just don't even...

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, that's the problem with Lynch. He's so arty and vague that you can endlessly argue what "the point" is. He intentionally crafts his work that way for that effect. And I like that about Lynch, it's a real strength and it's very hard to accomplish and he did it beautifully and masterfully.

But Herbert's Dune (the book) had a very particular theme and point. That shit was pure and mainlined and not subtle, and if a reader isn't sure what the point was after reading Herbert's original they probably just need to read it again and slower. Lynch wasn't the best fit for that, it's a real mismatch. It's why Lynch had to do so much rewriting. Like I say, it's not that Lynch's Dune is terrible... it's not terrible. It's just not really Dune. But there are parts of it where he manages to capture Dune.

Which is another reason it was a mismatch. Lynch's personality is too strong for that movie. Dune needs a director who will be a vessel and let Herbert shine through. But that's a trick too, it couldn't be someone with a weak vision. It has to be someone with a strong vision and a mastery of the medium like Lynch has... but the ability to stand out of the way of the source material and not feel like they need to inject themselves into it. Dune is more than strong enough to stand on its own.

Lynch is an original artist. He's a one man band. A Dune remake needs the best cover band / studio musician you can find. But since we'll never get that... ehh... lynch's isn't theworst. It's just not that great. Would have been a better movie without the Dune references, if he'd just gone ahead and made his own Desert Religion Epic.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Better, but still, why? The world isn't exactly crying out for more Labyrinth. Make something original, you fucks.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Better, but still, why? The world isn't exactly crying out for more Labyrinth. Make something original, you fucks.

I go to the theater and watch classics when they have them. Labyrinth was the only the only I've seen sold out and filled. Ended up sitting in the front row looking straight up for 90 minutes.

Only benefit was telling my GF terrible 80's

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Don't get me wrong, I love Labyrinth and all the Henson movies. But remake? We all know they'll fuck it up.