Ladysmith Black Mambazo School of Music

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Exactly. I don't listen to any music after 1999. It's not music, its just computer, algorithmic generated bs with crappy lyrics. I watched a documentary of a dude showing that, with the advent of some music software in the early aughts, all commercial music these days pretty much uses some computer formula that doesn't allow deviation or improvisation.

When people mention a current singer or band, I legit have no idea who they are. I used to listen to the oldies station here, but they actually stopped playing real oldies and now just play 80's and 90's stuff. I like that music, but there were already 2 stations that play classic rock versus oldies so now I just download to or stream music from my phone. I hate commercials anyway.
You won't hear them on the radio, but go check out Home Free on YouTube. If you have Spotify, they are on there also. Actual singing talent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Exactly. I don't listen to any music after 1999. It's not music, its just computer, algorithmic generated bs with crappy lyrics. I watched a documentary of a dude showing that, with the advent of some music software in the early aughts, all commercial music these days pretty much uses some computer formula that doesn't allow deviation or improvisation.

When people mention a current singer or band, I legit have no idea who they are. I used to listen to the oldies station here, but they actually stopped playing real oldies and now just play 80's and 90's stuff. I like that music, but there were already 2 stations that play classic rock versus oldies so now I just download to or stream music from my phone. I hate commercials anyway.
I don't want to derail this further, but you should check out the Sound City documentary. It's partly about the location itself, but there's a good amount about the equipment they used. It was completely analog, and they spend a good amount of time discussing the transition music had to digital and how it fucking ruined everything.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

yeah you're talking about this

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If it wasn't for slavery the only music black people would have ever been known for was whatever they make in the jungles of Africa.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whiile the above video does suck, you cannot discount the talent blacks gave to music. From shit like blues--->rock-----> jazz and soul which was pretty much invented by blacks, and even rap that all turned to gagster thuggeery bullshit, thats one thing you cannot take away from blacks, their musical talent. Not to even menntion the many many masters in their respective musical instruments over the past decades and the iconic voices they also gave us.

Nothing can compare to the music of Europe's glorious past. Like the tannhauser overture.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As much as I love dogpiling on Manessa, he is actually right about the music stuff. Africans got a head start, simply by existing first, but never got past the banging on shit and simple repetitive chant harmonies. Greeks had scales worked out, along with basic time signatures and structure, and Africa was still doing its bang shit and chant crap. Fast forward to the Baroque era and most of the science behind how music works, including the holy grail the circle of fifths, has been worked out and there are almost 100 refined instruments, with complex pieces with intricate rhythms and time signatures. Meanwhile, africa is still banking rocks and chanting. Then white guys started making actual musical instruments available and tought them the 4 bar blues pattern and the gave up the stick banging finally.

Every major black music innovation (and there were some GREAT black musicians from the Ink Spots all the way to MJ himself) based their work on music that had already been ironed out by the Europeans well before them. Jazz is just vaudeville music retooled. Rock and Roll is just pulled from Rockabilly and Blue Grass music of the day. Even the chain gang spirituals were adapted from exiting old timey gospel songs. Hip Hop is an evolution of an evolution of commercialized pop songs. And of course, rap music is dominated by white guys doing a lot of the writing, being sampled, or flat out doing it themselves (Beastie Boys being the largest example of this). And rap has degenerated into ghetto dick waving shit more and more, requiring zero fucking skill beyond being a mysogynist drug abusing douchebag. While there have been black musicians that have excelled (Ink Spots, Fats Domino, Stevie Wonder, MJ, ect) they are rare and you can nearly always find a white group that did the same thing better or longer (MJ being the one major exception). I laugh every time Elvis gets accused of ripping off black culture, because he was pulling from the same blue grass rockabilly source material the early black rock musicians did (and Buddy Holly beat them both to the punch). Mowtown is the closest they ever came to a truely innovative sound of their own, but again Creedence Clearwater Revival and doo wop groups were doing a ton of that shit well before Mowtown caught fire. Its the noble savage myth all over again.

And in the modern era, there is no question, but honestly no one is making much in the way of good music these days. And further more, most of the time for most musicians, no matter their skin color, its always the jewish producer mixing the shit and cutting the deals that make or break the act. Collaberative groups are virtually absent in the black music world, except for a few thug rap groups (of which public enemy was the most successful). Show me the fucking black version of the Beatles, The Eagles, Queen, Beach Boys, or any other of a host of different groups that had decade or more long careers with vast libraries of music. Show me a black composer with even half of the output of John Williams, Danny Elfman, or James Horner. They don't exist. Frankly, neither do the Asian or Indian groups. There is System of Down, so score one for the Armenians I guess.

Music as we know it, science, structure, art, and form, was began with the greeks, passed down through the German and French (and some Russians like Mussorgskyi) and exported from there. Some amazing black musicians added a few wrinkles here and there, but they didn't invent shit. If whitey had not come along, they would still be banging rocks together and chanting about lions and shit.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ. All this talk about "music these days" reads like a giant thread of message written by my fucking grandparents. Get over yourselves, boomers - holy fuck. There is plenty of good music out there.

I'd argue the only genres really suffering right now are probably rock music and country. Both are trying way too hard to incorporate "pop" elements and they are worse off for it. There have been a few standout albums, but they're becoming more and more rare.

People bitching about hip-hop being total shit are a bunch of fucking white-breads who never liked the genre in the first place. People like Joyner Lucas and Kendrick Lamar are talented as shit - their bars are ridiculous. Kendrick's "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is probably the best rap album in the last 15-20 years. Lil Wayne's last album was great and the production value for his "Mona Lisa" song is some of the best shit I've heard since probably Dre's 2001 album.

• 2Like
  • 2Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
To say that without the European influence and instruments, Africans would have been still banging rocks, well it is true. But that is never the question in terms of human development, it is not what you can do without the tools, it is what you can do with the tools, what determines your success.

Music is a product of the tools you have, and when Africans learned to use the tools created in Europe to create music, they created whole new genres of music that is universally beloved.

My home country has a very broad and rich musical history, in fact (im biased of course) it is the best musically speaking amongst the Caribbean country, and even the USA.

For me, music is a talent that requires a good voice and a band playing it. I don't consider electronic "music" any good, because the machine is performing it, not a human. I guess you can equate it with a writer and an actor. Except the actor is a robot who is always perfect, so the writer starts calling himself the "actor" because it has a higher status than being a writer.

A lot of music nowadays it is just a bunch of composers writing for machines that do not make mistakes, and that is not the same as a human playing an instrument. I don't consider avvici a musician by any stretch, or any of the modern DJ that spins discs

Anyways back to the topic.

Even with the myopic look expressed by our local white potatoes, the black race, does goes toe to toe with the rest of them in terms of musical quality, and of creating sounds and rhythms that are universally appreciated. And I have to call it the black race, because in reality must of this people are of mixed races.

I'm not going to speak about blues and stuff, because I'm not that knowledgeable of them, but for a lot traditionally Cuban Rhythms, people of mixed races have been involved on them. This guy created a dancing genre and unique sound that went around the world.

original mambo #5

Also this guy

1621361678711.png

Created what the world danced to as the cha cha cha.

But with everything, people are good at what they do, and those individuals spent their entire lives perfecting their craft.

• 1Seriously?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Maps n Stuff
Intredasting indeed! It's almost like people keep records of things that happen and can compile data based on those things that happen!

As much as I love dogpiling on Manessa, he is actually right about the music stuff.
You thought I was kidding when I said I wrote a symphony, and yet.....

Shitlord... I'm right about soooo much more than just "the music stuff" btw. See, I don't hate you. He doesn't either. He loves you Phaz. Get right.

Nothing can compare to the music of Europe's glorious past. Like the tannhauser overture.
That glorious B on the clarinets and horns in unison rising to the E... warm golden hues.

Jesus Christ. All this talk about "music these days"
You really have 0 clue what you're talking about and I'm not trying to be mean. Just being honest.

There is plenty of good music out there.
...and again, all opinions are valid, and yet, behind the veil of ignorance, a C rises to a higher G... a perfect fifth... harmony.... balance...

Music is the harmony of the spheres. Mahler was tapped into this, a Jew btw... His 8th Symphony is the most inspired work I've ever heard... it's like angels were literally sitting on his shoulders as he was writing it. You just have to trust me on this one, but whatever... eta till some 78 IQ poster comes along and ruins my post~

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Intredasting indeed! It's almost like people keep records of things that happen and can compile data based on those things that happen!

You thought I was kidding when I said I wrote a symphony, and yet.....

Shitlord... I'm right about soooo much more than just "the music stuff" btw. See, I don't hate you. He doesn't either. He loves you Phaz. Get right.

That glorious B on the clarinets and horns in unison rising to the E... warm golden hues.

You really have 0 clue what you're talking about and I'm not trying to be mean. Just being honest.

...and again, all opinions are valid, and yet, behind the veil of ignorance, a C rises to a higher G... a perfect fifth... harmony.... balance...

Music is the harmony of the spheres. Mahler was tapped into this, a Jew btw... His 8th Symphony is the most inspired work I've ever heard... it's like angels were literally sitting on his shoulders as he was writing it. You just have to trust me on this one, but whatever... eta till some 78 IQ poster comes along and ruins my post~
I don’t really interact with you much but your posting style makes me want to....

1621364374741.gif

There’s another that grates on me too. They add winkies to every fucking post.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Jesus Christ. All this talk about "music these days" reads like a giant thread of message written by my fucking grandparents. Get over yourselves, boomers - holy fuck. There is plenty of good music out there.

I'd argue the only genres really suffering right now are probably rock music and country. Both are trying way too hard to incorporate "pop" elements and they are worse off for it. There have been a few standout albums, but they're becoming more and more rare.

People bitching about hip-hop being total shit are a bunch of fucking white-breads who never liked the genre in the first place. People like Joyner Lucas and Kendrick Lamar are talented as shit - their bars are ridiculous. Kendrick's "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is probably the best rap album in the last 15-20 years. Lil Wayne's last album was great and the production value for his "Mona Lisa" song is some of the best shit I've heard since probably Dre's 2001 album.
for me, "music these days", is in the last 20+ years. i was still in my 20s when music started turning to shit. before that i could enjoy music with musical instruments, singing and talent ranging back hundreds of years.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lil Wayne's last album was great and the production value for his "Mona Lisa" song is some of the best shit I've heard since probably Dre's 2001 album.
I went to listen to this song since I had never heard of it.
When you thought the live is going to be an hour.. : TheWeeknd

• 13Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 14 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Imagine thinking anything Lil Wayne has ever touched could possibly compare to 2001.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider

This explains so much about the rest of your idiotic postings across this board.

• 3Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

For me, this is as much about age, as anything else.

New bands are still making music that you would probably like, it is just incredibly difficult to find them. All the mainstream pop is what pop has always been, mostly shit with a few catchy but shallow tunes.

As I grow older, I'm just not all that much into music anymore, outside of traveling in my car. When my car's SSD holds ~4000 songs, it's hard to work up enough motivation to go find anything new.

Regardless, I have found new music, here and there. Here is an example of a young band that channels the Rock and Blues of Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin, Rush, Cream, and even a bit of Queen:
Greta Van Fleet

I think they have all of there songs, so far, on YouTube. They have more popular songs, but I don't really care to watch videos of the band dancing around like Freddy Mercury.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think this is as much about age, as anything else.

New bands are still making music that you would probably like, it is just incredibly difficult to find them. All the mainstream pop is what pop has always been, mostly shit with a few catchy but shallow tunes.

As I grow older, I'm just not all that much into music anymore, outside of traveling in my car. When my car's SSD holds ~4000 songs, it's hard to work up enough motivation to go find anything new.

Regardless, I have found new music, here and there. Here is an example of a young band that channels the Rock and Blues of Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin, Rush, Cream, and even a bit of Queen:
Greta Van Fleet

I think they have all of there songs, so far, on YouTube. They have more popular songs, but I don't really care to watch videos of the band dancing around like Freddy Mercury.

This is true. I find custom streaming service channels will turn me onto new stuff since I’m too busy the seek it out. Greta Van Fleet made it onto my recent rotation.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
for me, "music these days", is in the last 20+ years. i was still in my 20s when music started turning to shit. before that i could enjoy music with musical instruments, singing and talent ranging back hundreds of years.
Yeah, I remember my dad bitching and saying, "This shit fucking sucks.." when I put in my Ten and Superunknown cassettes. And he remembers his dad yelling at him to "turn that shit down!!" when he threw on Van Halen and Led Zeppelin.

You have become your parents. That's fine, just recognize it for what it is.