Lance Armstrong To Confess?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I find the rage so many people to have for him more entertaining then i feel outrage over everything he's done.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's just celebrity schadenfreude. Any time something bad happens to a famous person there is a certain group who's going to line up and cheer about it.

Cycling is a bit like Nascar in that it's boring as shit to watch if you don't understand the team dynamics. The year Floyd Landis won I actually took a couple hours off work to watch the whole stage and was on the edge of my seat for half of it, but I totally get why someone who only sees the sport casually would think it was the most boring thing imaginable. I pretty much feel the same way about Nascar, it's just cars going in a circle, but I know from cycling that I would probably get into it more if I knew the drivers and teams and learned more about the strategy involved.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nascar really is just cars going in a circle though. I'm not a big car racing fan, but I do have to admit that the smaller amateur races are much more interesting. Indy car races are also pretty neat. I bet Nascar was a lot more interesting back in the 50's and 60's when they were using home-built hotrods, dirt tracks or beach tracks, and gallons of bourbon for fuel. It's just so corporate now. They don't have mechanics, they have technicians.

As for Lance, I saw he was gonna do an Oprah interview and thought, "Welp. I guess Lance is gonna ask Saint Oprah to forgive him." The only question is will he SAY he did it all for the cancerkids or will he only imply it?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's just celebrity schadenfreude. Any time something bad happens to a famous person there is a certain group who's going to line up and cheer about it.
This is generally true. However, people have a reason to cheer that Lance gets some comeuppance. He went out of his way to fuck anyone who dared to tell the truth about his means to success.

The guy is really a living paradox. He and his foundation have done a ton for cancer patients and his victories are impressive given that we know damn near every top contender was using PEDs (hence the field was basically level). If he wasn't such a colossal douchebag in his personal affairs, I think he would get the Andy Pettitte treatment.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is generally true. However, people have a reason to cheer that Lance gets some comeuppance. He went out of his way to fuck anyone who dared to tell the truth about his means to success.
Kind of. I don't really buy the "It's not that he did it, it's that he LIED". You have to lie, if you were in a position where you had to choose to tell a lie or lose your entire career and means of income, you would lie too. No doper has ever come forward or admitted what he was doing while his career was still at stake unless he was caught 100% and most of them don't even admit it then (Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis). Lance being Lance he defended himself perhaps more aggressively than was absolutely necessary, but even that doesn't strike me as especially unusual.

Shad_sl

shitlord
The thing is, every single athlete who cheat like Armstrong (apparently) did, deserves the hate Armstrong is getting. Just banning someone for participating in competitions for a year so so, after which they can go right back and dot it all over is hardly effective. If people want see less cheating in sport there has to be no second chances, no forgiveness and no excuses really.

Its a shame this reaction only occurs because they guy is more famous than your average athlete.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lance being Lance he defended himself perhaps more aggressively than was absolutely necessary, but even that doesn't strike me as especially unusual.
A matter of opinion, I suppose. I think he was an over-the-top prick that used his fame and wealth to stomp on less fortunate people who told the truth. It's par for the course in PED cases, but that doesn't make it ok. From what I've read, Armstrong really went the extra mile to screw people. Suing for slander in favorable venues (ironically winning judgements against people speaking truth), pressuring his sponsors into blackballing people, outright threatening them verbally, using his pull to end their careers, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's not that he did it, it's that he lied". It's neither. It's that he went medieval on tattlers out of spite. I could care less that he did it or that he lied, it's now common knowledge PEDs and blood doping are as common as energy bars in cycling, so I'd say his accomplishments still stand as impressive feats. Just issue the categorical denial and have Nike pay off the USADA to sweep it under the rug again. OK, I really have no proof Nike paid off the USADA.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, have you ever been telling the truth and had someone call you a liar to your face? If so, you know how absolutely infuriating that is. Now multiply that by a million and you have what Armstrong was doing to people. Not only that but take it a step further and have him sue and have his minions who think he's god threaten your safety. Calling him an asshole is redundant but the fact that he's always been a raging asshole only makes people want him to pay even more.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I don't have any rage, I just don't understand why it's such a big story. It was clear he did it years ago, it was public knowledge he was a dick, this shouldn't be remotely surprising. Why are people acting like this is utterly shocking when he's been a prick his entire life and he happened to beat cancer?

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No rage here. As has been pointed out though, numerous times this guy went after people, sued them and won. Had he just denied it, lied about it I don't think it would be near as bad as it is now. Big story, yes, but I think on the level what Arod went through. Arod lied about peds repeatedly, was eventually busted, never went to the lengths LA has.

Also,
Did I just stick up for Arod..... Christ

Hakot_sl

shitlord
Care-meter reads a full 0, anyone with half of a brain and the internet new this shit years ago. The dumbass should've just kept his mouth shut.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And.. Dee-licious

rrr_img_9558.jpg

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
so what did he say? i didn't watch and really don't care to... just want the long and the skinny.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
There was a documentary posted back on FoH on the old thread that really shows what a douche he was to other people which cost them there livelihood over his lies. This is why I think not only does he need to lose his fortune but spend some time getting to know some prisoners. Guy really was just a complete douche to people over this shit and he deserves his just deserts.

I've yet to see the interview yet either.