Laptop Computers

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Well those scratch & dents were gone within a couple hours. Are those typically seriously dented up, or are we talking minor scuffs here and there? The laptop in question had everything this one I'm listing below has, with the exception of having the older gen processor instead of Haswel. It was $650, however.

Anyway, I'm really looking to pull the trigger on a laptop in the next week or 2. Time is ticking to school starting, and while I wanted an ultrabook with Haswell and at least a 650 gfx card, it's not looking like that's gonna be an option for the next few weeks. So now I'm looking at a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p. Here are specs for $950.

- Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
- Operating system
Windows 8 64
- Display
15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
- Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
- Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
- Hard Drive
1TB 5400 RPM
- Optical Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
- Network Card
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
- Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
- Warranty
One year
- Battery
6 Cell Lithium-Ion

Then I would buy a 256gb SSD, put it in the main HDD spot, move the 1TB HDD into the ultrabay, and buy an external case for the optical drive. What do you guys think? My biggest worry is weight. I would like a fairly lightweight and thin(ish) laptop for grad school. I also want decent battery life. Is this thing big and clunky? I looks fairly thick, but not too bad. Also, the display doesn't mention a build in camera. I assume all laptops nowadays have a build in webcam, but I want to be sure.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm lookin at a new laptop and 99% of them come with Windows 8, which I have tried and really don't like. I've been out of the game for a while, so I gotta ask, is it still really easy to use a pirated copy of Windows? Specifically, Windows 7.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been using the same copy of win 7 ultimate pirated into like 5 computers so far. It's pretty easy. If you don't want to use a pirated version you could even call and say you changed hardware and your installation broke and they'll give you a new key.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Wonder what they mean by "depending on Windows version" for qHD+. Hopefully that doesn't mean Win8 only.

Looks pretty sweet. No prices though?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I need a new laptop pretty badly. My work laptop was purchased in 2010, and near constant usage has definitely started to take its toll. That being said, what are some decent models to be keeping an eye on? I need a relatively powerful machine; my daily usage can range anywhere from testing builds of Unreal to spreadsheet work to video editing. In the past I've had good luck choosing from gaming-style laptops since they tended to have higher graphics capabilities, but I'm not opposed to a business machine if it can do what I need. I'm not planning on spending much time gaming with it.

The ads for the new MSI GS70 caught my eye. I like the portability and the specs are pretty sweet.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I pulled the trigger on the y510p I had been eying. it's on slick deals for like 780 and I couldnt pass that up. Also ordered a samsung 256gb ssd to swap in and will be pirating a win7 copy to replace win 8 that comes with. Im still concerned with size and portability for classes but hopefully it'll be fine

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I pulled the trigger on the y510p I had been eying. it's on slick deals for like 780 and I couldnt pass that up. Also ordered a samsung 256gb ssd to swap in and will be pirating a win7 copy to replace win 8 that comes with. Im still concerned with size and portability for classes but hopefully it'll be fine
Ha! I was about to post that deal.

I'm looking for something lighter/more portable or I'd be all over that y510p deal. 6.4 lbs is just too much for me. Looking for something with haswell + non shit screen + under 5 lbs is pretty much my only criteria. I guess I'd also like to spend under 800 or so. Does this even exist? I feel like it would in a month, but haswell laptops are still coming out and I need it now. ugh.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */" is a beyond shitty screen. Sorry to tell you this Zolek, but you won't find what you're looking for that price unless you go refurbished or we have very different ideas on what a non-shit screen looks like (a minimum of 1600x900 IPS from my point of view).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
gogu

rrr_img_39822.jpg

1366x768 is exactly what I'm looking to avoid, and yeah I'm realizing what I want isn't realistic with more looking around since I don't know shit about laptops. I don't need this machine to game, I just need it to have non shit battery life and a non shit screen so I can haul it around at school.

what about this (I realize this is nothing like what I asked for before):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231125

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
If the Y510p isn't small or portable enough get the Y410p. I've got a Y470, the 14" form factor for a gaming machine was why I originally bought it. The 14" or 13.3" are excellent sizes for a mobile, but still usable full time laptop. 15.6" is too clunky to move around, and 12" is too small for heavy usage.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Kinda tempted to get a surface pro 128, down to 809 now with student discount. Can't really beat it for the specs + stylus which is important to me. But i am so hesitant to get a gen 3 after seeing the haswell reviews for MBair with like literally double battery life from last gen =/