Laptop Computers

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, it arrived today and was DOA. The screen turned on, but nothing would boot and it just stayed white. I called MSI and they said RMA it, so it's on it's way back to Newegg. Despite my 10+ year customer history, they have to receive the old one and "test" it for defects before they can get a new one to me in the mail. That's pretty annoying.

It's just bad luck, and RMA'd products happen. I'm just bummed because I was super excited.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but I ordered a refurbished ASUS laptop from newegg and it arrived broken this week too, didn't ship with any kind of bubblewrap or anything either... first thing I've received broken from newegg ever, but got RMA'ing is such a pain in the ass, my issue wasn't as obvious, the video card could not perform any kind of acceleration, so no games were playable and youtube would cause it to crash, but it actually booted to the desktop no problem.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking for a little advice. Want to get either a very portable laptop or tablet. I generally prefer a keyboard to screen typing. I really don't need to game just want a quick bootup and responsiveness. Will use it for general web surf, fantasy sports, checking message boards and whatnot. Anyone have any advice on something not too expensive that will be good out of the box?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=34-314-074

I bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FapAMgodPT8ANQwhen it was on sale for 220, and absolutely love it. Based on the reviews, seems like it's built quite a bit better than the ACER, I don't own the Acer, but I could see having a sturdy well constructed metal case / keyboard / battery being worth an extra 50

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=34-314-074

I bought

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FapAMgodPT8ANQwhen it was on sale for 220, and absolutely love it. Based on the reviews, seems like it's built quite a bit better than the ACER, I don't own the Acer, but I could see having a sturdy well constructed metal case / keyboard / battery being worth an extra 50
Hilarious you posted that i bought the Samsung one same day i posted and after a few days it's great. Exactly what i wanted, though i'm still getting used to no mouse and don't know how to save pics.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Everyone who ever does fresh windows installs should have this site bookmarked:

http://ninite.com/

someone posted it here in the tech forum a while back, I can't remember who, but that site is a godsend.
That would be me good sir, and yes Ninite fucking rocks.

PS if you are looking for Flash updaters from Ninite just PM me. I have copies of them
Note for people who don't know, you can use the download from Ninite to update the programs as well. I had a tech savvy friend who didn't know this but you just rerun it once a week and it'll update everything for you. Also note utorrent is a fucking pain lately with how often they update.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Speaking of things that fucking rock, do you guys have any suggestions for a $500-600~ laptop that has a Haswell CPU running it? This would mainly be used to do spreadsheet and Word processing at work but I'd also like it to be able to play WoW and LoL at medium settings well and CS:GO on at least low settings.

Thoughts? I'm just starting to look now but figured I'd snag ya'lls opinion too as you seem to be more on the up and up when it comes to laptops.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here is the *only* Laptop on Newegg that has a Haswell CPU that is less than $800 in price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314150

It's a pain in the ass to search for them, you basically can't search by CPU generation, so you have to do an advanced search by GPU, the Intel HD 4400, 4600, and 5000 GPUs are all integrated Haswell GPUs

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Christ you beat me to the punch, I just did that exact search and I damn near gave up because of how stupid it was.

So scratch that idea, obviously that laptop wouldn't be anyone's top choice (just guessing seeing as that is the only one that fits my parameters). How about up to $750? Going back through the thread really kicking myself for missing that Y510P deal on SlickDeals a short while back. That machine is nice, holy shit!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Christ you beat me to the punch, I just did that exact search and I damn near gave up because of how stupid it was.

So scratch that idea, obviously that laptop wouldn't be anyone's top choice (just guessing seeing as that is the only one that fits my parameters). How about up to $750? Going back through the thread really kicking myself for missing that Y510P deal on SlickDeals a short while back. That machine is nice, holy shit!
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...arnesnoblegold

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Yea I never did give a real review on the y510p I got. Bullet points:

-1080p screen is awesome, esp compared to my 1330x7xx old laptop
-Matte screen (from lenovo.com) is nice. Actually nicer than glossy imo
-After lots of headaches from various modifications (installing ssd/win7/buying caddy for old hdd to replace DVD drive, buying DVD external case, the trackpad is a piece of shit until you mod it), things are up and running great. Boot time from shutdown is <10 seconds, usually ~5 seconds. It demolishes PoE, Bioshock Infinite (medium settings). Trackpad is great once you go to semantic's website and install new drivers over the ones that come with. Set dead zone on pad so buttons don't move the mouse. The only negative is that when you hold ctrl (like to ctrl+click a link to open a new tab), the dead zone disappears for some reason. Ctrl+clicking is useless.
-It's probably too big to take to classes. I'll confirm/deny next week, but almost undoubtedly too big. It's the 15.6 size, not the weight. It's not that heavy or even thick. I'll probably use my 13.3 old laptop and dropbox for class notes. It will, however, be fine for office use where I'll do most of my writing.
-Battery life is shit. My old laptop is designed for battery life with an 8 cell and hybrid graphics. 8+ hours real world unless watching a movie. This one is 3 if it's lucky, but usually 2. Why don't laptops use 8 cell batteries? My 13.3 ultrathin UL30VT can, why can't a 15.6?
-It gets hot during heavy gaming, even with a laptop riser w/ fan below it.
-Holy shit 1080 resolution makes everything tiny & I can see everything.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
My GS-70 just got here. It's wicked fast but I am having a hard time acclimating to Windows 8. It's super fucking weird having to relearn an OS to this degree.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
-After lots of headaches from various modifications (installing ssd/win7/buying caddy for old hdd to replace DVD drive, buying DVD external case
You did it wrong. Shoulda bought an mSata SSD, could've installed it along side HDD in its current location, and left DVD in.

-Battery life is shit. My old laptop is designed for battery life with an 8 cell and hybrid graphics. 8+ hours real world unless watching a movie. This one is 3 if it's lucky, but usually 2. Why don't laptops use 8 cell batteries? My 13.3 ultrathin UL30VT can, why can't a 15.6?
How is your optimus configured? My Sandybridge based Y470 get 4-6 hours websurfing, and watching movies. Games will push it down to 1-1.5hrs. Your system with Haswell should get really good battery life, far better then mine. I wouldn't rely on the automatic game detection. Set the video card to be off unless certain .exe's are running. Then add all your game .exe's to that list. If you play Minecraft or other Java based games you also need to add the Java .exe for them to get full acceleration.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
External dvd adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00274HQY0/
HDD caddy:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIUQYA/

The dvd external adaptor is quite cheap and flimsy, but it does the job. I tend to think paying like $15 more and getting a real external DVD/RW that's better built would be better.

The HDD caddy is great. It's a little tricky getting the plastic bits off the DVD drive & onto the caddy (so it fits & locks as it should), but it functions great, and the DVD face plate fits perfectly on the caddy, so the laptop doesn't suffer any aesthetic problems.

I'm continuing to encounter stupid problems and knocking them out. The most recent one is my tiny travel mouse won't plug & play. Windows "can't find driver." It's a god damn mouse, what the fuck. I can't even find a driver online, so the mouse is now useless. Other than that, I'm loving the laptop now. The trackpad is great, with the one downside being that holding ctrl will make the "dead zone" of the buttons go away. I can't get over how much better the screen is compared to my old laptop. I was transferring files today and the old screen just looks flat out terrible. It looks blurry almost.

Anyone recommend a case to carry it in? Not a bag, just something to protect it when moving. I like the cases all the Apple people have, just a soft cover to provide a little protection.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone recommend a case to carry it in? Not a bag, just something to protect it when moving. I like the cases all the Apple people have, just a soft cover to provide a little protection.
Those soft covers provide scratch protection nothing else. You need a laptop bag with a laptop compartment with a foam edge for actual impact protection.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got the Samsung SSD installed into my y510p, its like a whole different laptop. Just need a HDD caddy for the 1TB drive now. Starting to like it more and more. Will be a decent gaming system for while I am in Malaysia.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Is SSD caching worth it? Not a big SSD to actually store stuff on, but just for caching. Seems to be semi-popular but I can't find any information on it being worth the trouble.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Are there any laptops out there that can run a dual monitor setup for a decent price? Just looking for the cheapest route, no games just office use.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You looking for a setup that will power 2 external monitors, or just 1 external + the laptops built-in screen?