Laptop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Kinda tempted to get a surface pro 128, down to 809 now with student discount. Can't really beat it for the specs + stylus which is important to me. But i am so hesitant to get a gen 3 after seeing the haswell reviews for MBair with like literally double battery life from last gen =/
Just don't do it. There will be a surface pro 2 not that far off.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
3rded, getting any kind of Ultrabook without Haswell is just plain silly. The Surface Pro was released on October 26, 2012... which means the second version will likely be out some time in the next 4 months (hopefully). I am sorely tempted to get one myself, and if I wasn't already building a new desktop I probably would.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wasn't a big fan of my girlfriend's surface pro, the keyboard felt really flimsy/crappy and Windows 8 blows donkey balls. I'm somewhat surprised so many of you want/have them. Was I missing something?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
So my laptop is failing... bought an Asus g75 from newegg, but it was defective... getting it RMA'ed...

purchased a samsung chromebook because it was cheap and would let me browse and surf and whatnot... I'm in love with it. Love the size for surfing from in bed at night... not so small that I can't put it on a desk and type comfortably with it either.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So ended up getting the surface pro lol, this last weekend was tax free here in MA so with student discount + other shit I ended up with the tablet + keyboard for about 870.

I know haswell refresh will prolly be out soonish but I am moving to england in like two weeks and the pro there is like 799 pounds so like 50%+ more than what I paid for it, figure worst case I can sell it over there and break even.

If win 8.1 is good and haswell increases battery life to like 10 hours like it should the next gen pro is gonna be pretty beast so it still pains me a bit that I couldn't wait.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Just ordered a the GS70 Stealth for my new laptop at work. Looking forward to its arrival on Friday.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
My Lenovo y510p just arrived today. It is massive compared to my 13.3 old laptop. Installed the SSD with a few headaches and now it's up and running. Just imported my firefox profile and trying to remember other essentials. Do we have a place on this forum somewhere that has recommendations for new installs? Not just the programs to reinstall..I can figure that out. But tips similar to transfering firefox profiles, etc?

I'm still messing around with it, but will post a few thoughts on it once everything is up and running

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Everyone who ever does fresh windows installs should have this site bookmarked:

http://ninite.com/

someone posted it here in the tech forum a while back, I can't remember who, but that site is a godsend.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I wasn't a big fan of my girlfriend's surface pro, the keyboard felt really flimsy/crappy and Windows 8 blows donkey balls. I'm somewhat surprised so many of you want/have them. Was I missing something?
I don't have one but my co-worker does and it is pretty awesome. I don't mind the touch-cover (the smaller/cheaper one), but if you don't like it you can always get the more traditional feeling type-cover instead (with actual key travel).

And windows 8 is a good OS in general, but on a touch device is is downright awesome.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
So ended up getting the surface pro lol, this last weekend was tax free here in MA so with student discount + other shit I ended up with the tablet + keyboard for about 870.

I know haswell refresh will prolly be out soonish but I am moving to england in like two weeks and the pro there is like 799 pounds so like 50%+ more than what I paid for it, figure worst case I can sell it over there and break even.

If win 8.1 is good and haswell increases battery life to like 10 hours like it should the next gen pro is gonna be pretty beast so it still pains me a bit that I couldn't wait.
Cool, let us know how you like it (I might pick up a Pro 2). You really should have waited, the next one could be out as soon as October and you just have a family member ship it to you open as a "used" item or a "gift". I've had that done several times. But yea, you can always sell it there, and even if you take a little hit on it the price difference might make up the bulk of that.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Everyone who ever does fresh windows installs should have this site bookmarked:

http://ninite.com/

someone posted it here in the tech forum a while back, I can't remember who, but that site is a godsend.
Handy. Does Ninite install itself as well or is it just an executable that installs the other binaries for you?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Theres no "ninite" software install. It's just an executable batch installer that grabs all the programs you specify and installs them on your PC. Very minimalist, and awesome. It doesn't install anything that monitors for updates, or that tries to install adware/toolbars or any crap like that. It's good stuff.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Theres no "ninite" software install. It's just an executable batch installer that grabs all the programs you specify and installs them on your PC. Very minimalist, and awesome. It doesn't install anything that monitors for updates, or that tries to install adware/toolbars or any crap like that. It's good stuff.
Fabulous. Will use.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Just ordered a the GS70 Stealth for my new laptop at work. Looking forward to its arrival on Friday.
Well, it arrived today and was DOA. The screen turned on, but nothing would boot and it just stayed white. I called MSI and they said RMA it, so it's on it's way back to Newegg. Despite my 10+ year customer history, they have to receive the old one and "test" it for defects before they can get a new one to me in the mail. That's pretty annoying.

It's just bad luck, and RMA'd products happen. I'm just bummed because I was super excited.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Looking for a little advice. Want to get either a very portable laptop or tablet. I generally prefer a keyboard to screen typing. I really don't need to game just want a quick bootup and responsiveness. Will use it for general web surf, fantasy sports, checking message boards and whatnot. Anyone have any advice on something not too expensive that will be good out of the box?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So got my surface yesterday. So far I like it a bit strange getting used to win8 since I never used it before. Definitely not as intuitive as ios lol. The form factor is great and the device itself seems well built. I imagine it would feel alot more natural to someone who has been using win8 for awhile. Don't have the keyboard yet so will update later with how that is.