Laptop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
so i just fixed this girl's laptop by switching out her hard drive with the hard drive from my old laptop and formatting it. is there any software out there that i could use to analyze the old, busted hard drive and possibly find some nude pics? let me know.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Isolinux/Hirens might have the tools you need, is Recuva just a more user friendly version of microscope ?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Isolinux/Hirens might have the tools you need, its Recuva just a more user friendly version of microscope ?
It's worked for me on drives that weren't completely far gone, that's all I know.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Run Spinrite on it and then chkdisk.

It'll prolly come back to life and be bootable too, if not you'll at least be able to browse the drive as a slave.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I think my dad actually has one of those lying around somewhere. Along with his slide rule, 100 lb oscilloscope and teletype.
Man I'd love to grab an old teletype terminal. Been wanting to do something like this for a while;

rrr_img_9969.jpg

Don't want to spend the $100 shipping people want to get them on ebay though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
is there any sort of SATA to USB cord I could use? dont really feel like opening up the nerdslayer for this.

groovy_and_sl

shitlord
I need some advice.

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and have gotten stuck between 2 options. What I want is a reasonably portable (and by that I mean it can fit into a backpack and survive being taken to campus) laptop I can do some reasonable gaming on. I'd like an i7 as I will be using it for work as well, and matlab and other data analysis software seems to be pretty processer dependent. It'd be nice if it wasn't really flashy as well.

First is the lenovo Y500. I'd buy the extra 650m off the lenovo website bringing the total up to 1200ish. The ultrabay seems useful, and I have read good things about the 650m SLI.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...A012D9B20ED2FB
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...0&Code=0C22235

Second is a Sager/Clevo. I'm looking at this one:http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-...25-p-4340.htmlMy brother bought one from xotic and had a good experience, so that's where I'd probably buy it from. Price ends up very similar to the lenovo, around 1200 bucks

Any reason I should go for one over the other? Or any other options in this range that I spaced on? Thanks

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have any suggestions for something to buy to replace Mom's computer? I was thinking of a cheap Chromebook since she has wifi and 4GB of ram should be fast enough for her. As well as being ChromeOS which might go a decent way towards virus infection calls late in the night. Any other suggestions? Tablets might also be a good idea but shes mostly an oldschool keyboard user.

As for her background she is just your standard 50 yr old mother. Can browse the net but the most complicated thing she is doing is Facebook. I am planning on installing dropbox so photos we regularly take of the kids can be dropped there and once we teach her where to go she can look forward to updates without any hassle as well as any important documents/files we might want to drop.

Probably also going look into some kind of online cloud backup system for when she eventually does the thing most parents do..

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can anybody explain the purpose of Google's new Chromebook Pixel? I admit I haven't used a chromebook, but why would one want to buy a $1200 laptop whose OS is entirely dependent on being connected to the internet? If you're going to spend $1200 why on earth would one rather buy this than a Win8 hybrid / ultrabook / surface?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/c...ixel-hands-on/

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Maybe for the kickass display (2560x1700) ? You don't have many choices if you're looking for a high dpi laptop. There's the macbook pro and this new chromebook. I don't think there's any other notebook with over 1920x1080 resolution.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's the thing though, what do you do with that kickass display? Browse websites? You can't game on it, can't do anything productivity wise like photoshop where that resolution might be nice. I'm a HUGE google fan(own many android devices, a Nexus tablet, use Chrome, gmail, google docs regularly etc) and I think the Pixel is the most useless piece of hardware I've ever seen.

A $1200 web browser? Fucking come on, what are you thinking Google?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
A $1200 Chromium tablet with a keyboard, pretty much. No idea what they're thinking. Unless it's somehow haxable to run Ubuntu (a la ChrUbuntu) which would make it somewhat useful, why bother?

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have any suggestions for something to buy to replace Mom's computer? I was thinking of a cheap Chromebook since she has wifi and 4GB of ram should be fast enough for her. As well as being ChromeOS which might go a decent way towards virus infection calls late in the night. Any other suggestions? Tablets might also be a good idea but shes mostly an oldschool keyboard user.

As for her background she is just your standard 50 yr old mother. Can browse the net but the most complicated thing she is doing is Facebook. I am planning on installing dropbox so photos we regularly take of the kids can be dropped there and once we teach her where to go she can look forward to updates without any hassle as well as any important documents/files we might want to drop.

Probably also going look into some kind of online cloud backup system for when she eventually does the thing most parents do..
Chrome book is really limited I would just wait for Best Buy to get there cheap laptops in and buy one for 230-250$

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I personally love my Chromebook, but I only expect it to surf and take notes on Drive and it does both of these things fantastically. Well worth the 250. I can't think of anything else someone's parents would need.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Quick question here.

I have an Asus G73JH from several years ago. Up until late-2012 it was great, then shit just started fucking up. The touchpad I had to manually fix, and now it doesn't work at all. If I touch it (even when disabled) it shorts out and turns off my computer. My input for the power brick is fucked, sometimes works. Battery is completely gone ($150-200). A bunch of keys keep popping off ($~90). I'm torn between fixing it or buying a new laptop.

If I bought a new laptop, which series is the best in the $1500-2000 range? Is ASUS still the top contender with the G75? Perhaps a MSI or Saiger? This is a purely gaming laptop. My desktop PC is great, but I am often travelling for school and work so I bring the beast with me. Portability or battery life is not an issue. Just want a beast of a laptop.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The Asus G75 is impressive for its cost. I had a G75VW for a while until I had my Alienware fixed under warranty instead (which they weren't going to do at first). Had the opportunity to extend the warranty not presented itself, I'd still have the G75. It was a really sweet laptop.

If you can, go for the better video card (670GTX mobility if I remember right). It makes a fair amount of difference.