Laptop Computers

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm partial to Android tablets, you can use a mouse/keyboard with those unlike an iPad you can only use a keyboard.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is a Chromebook easily capable of doing those things?

Definitely.

I have a chromebook I use all the time for web surfing. I have a tablet that collects dust on the end table in the living room. If you ever have to type anything the tablet can kiss my ass, might as well use the phone and if you're going to hook up a keyboard and mouse, you're better off with an actual laptop IMO. The things you're talking about can be done very well on a chromebook and they are extremely secure and almost impossible to fuck up.

Oldbased

> Than U
Why not consider an iPad or Android tablet, battery life would be far better too?
For multiple reasons it really is between a windows 10 laptop 15.6" or larger or Chromebook. She has a iPhone 6s she refuses to learn how to use other than to text/call and I have multiple tablets all over she doesn't use either including 10" Fires for book/video streaming. Her current N5050 Dell was a Windows 7 machine that didn't handle the conversion to windows10 over a year ago well at all and this latest update the past month the artisan or whatever mass update made it worse. That and keys and built in mouse are and have been screwing up, I can sense her frustrations. I think she is a bit jealous of my relationship to the tablets anyways where I replaced hands free Alexa command to woman. Woman, play soft jazz. Woman, read me a book, woman, find me the nearest food and so forth. I even put some skills on it to allow it to talk to the cats. She is not amused.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

loudgas

I have a few google minis around the house but really wishing I went the Alexa route instead.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
I second the Chromebook. Can do all those things easily, updates are essentially automated. My chromebook is 3 years old and still fast enough for my needs. I think the only reason I would want a tablet over it is strictly if I'm going to be watching something for an extended amount of time. Otherwise having the keyboard to browse random things is the way to go IMO.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As the tech support for my friends and family, I always suggest a chromebook for anyone needing a basic internet machine. They're hard to fuck up and that makes my life a lot easier.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone got a recommendation on something I could get to play wow on while travelling? Id need to raid so probably like an i5 and 1050 ideally. Not looking for the beefiest rig ever created

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like

loudgas

Anyone got a recommendation on something I could get to play wow on while travelling? Id need to raid so probably like an i5 and 1050 ideally. Not looking for the beefiest rig ever created

Probably overkill but thought of you when I saw this...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If money we're no object haha. Looking for something for travel .I'll check out what you guys linked when I can

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
so I can get an Asus with a 1080 16mb of ram and a 256 ssd.
OR
msi with a 1070 with 32 mb of ram a 1tb ssd.
Both are about 1800USD.

Any thoughts on the value of the 1080 vs 1070?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
the 1070 will be fine for 1080p in my opinion. if you ever want to push higher than that tho you will be pushing it to its limits.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Anyone have an Acer Predator 300 or a Dell Inspiron 7577? I want a cheaper gaming laptop since I am going to be doing a little traveling and some house sitting soon and looking for some input. Those are the two I am kind of going back and forth on. The biggest difference really is one has the gtx 1060 and the other is the gtx 1060 MaxQ. I know the straight GTX 1060 is better, but I have no experience with Acer. I have a Dell Inspiron 13 2in1 but it cant run games for shit. Its perfect for me to surf and watch movies and stuff on and I've never had any issues with it.

Also anyone have any experience with a CyberpowerPC laptop?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So my wife wanted to keep her old mans i3 Dell I got him like a year before he died. The problem was she never used it because it was dog slow. So just this week I went out and surprised her and got her an ssd, did an image copy and installed it on new drive. LOL, the difference is night and day. Its like a new laptop. I could not even believe it myself.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have an Acer Predator 300 or a Dell Inspiron 7577? I want a cheaper gaming laptop since I am going to be doing a little traveling and some house sitting soon and looking for some input. Those are the two I am kind of going back and forth on. The biggest difference really is one has the gtx 1060 and the other is the gtx 1060 MaxQ. I know the straight GTX 1060 is better, but I have no experience with Acer. I have a Dell Inspiron 13 2in1 but it cant run games for shit. Its perfect for me to surf and watch movies and stuff on and I've never had any issues with it.

Also anyone have any experience with a CyberpowerPC laptop?

My Zenbook was feeling pretty dated so ordered this Acer this morning:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Acer+Predator+Helios+300

Will post up my thought about it once I get it setup and use it for a few days.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users