Laptop Computers

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Farcry5 played well, but Mass Effect Andromeda looks and plays fantastic. I am finding it runs hot, after a solid hour of Farcry the cpu temp peaked around 91c and the gpu up to 77c. I was kinda surprised to see the difference since they are basically sitting next to each other. These temps were while I was using a notebook cooler at full speed too.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Having the weirdest issue lately, mostly just annoying. My touchpad 2 finger scrolling will just stop working on chrome pages. Mostly on this site but also on a few others. If I switch tabs then switch back to here it works again. I've disabled all extension/apps, tried incognito mode with no luck.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Looking for recommendations for a laptop to have at work that I will connect to my mobile hotspot for gaymes. Mostly I play older MMOs such as vanilla wow eq2 LOTRO and that sort of stuff so dont need the specs to be insane but would like them decent incase I feel like loading up a newer single player game.
Don't really have a price in mind as Im more looking to see specs and then decide how much I Would need to spend. Thanks

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Looking for recommendations for a laptop to have at work that I will connect to my mobile hotspot for gaymes. Mostly I play older MMOs such as vanilla wow eq2 LOTRO and that sort of stuff so dont need the specs to be insane but would like them decent incase I feel like loading up a newer single player game.
Don't really have a price in mind as Im more looking to see specs and then decide how much I Would need to spend. Thanks
Acer - Nitro 5 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX... 191114456491 | eBay

Use code PERFECTDAY at checkout for 15% discount.

Is this laptop great? Its got a 1050ti so its "meh" at best. Will it play older games easily? Fuck yeah. Is it dirt cheap? Fuck yeah.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Would it be worth it to get the geek squad insurance or no.

I assumed not but I haven't had a laptop in forever not sure how durable they make them now

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Would it be worth it to get the geek squad insurance or no.

I assumed not but I haven't had a laptop in forever not sure how durable they make them now

Probably only worth it for the accidental damage coverage. And that’s if you expect to drop it/etc.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was literally going to buy the previous gen Y530 the same day I saw my aver helios 300 on sale and bought it. This latest gen looks great! That game shouldnt be sluggish at all, maybe driver related.

To my fellow Acer Helios 300 brethren has anyone tried using the type-c port to output to a monitor? I suspect it is gen1 usb3.1 so may not have the capability, but I think there are newer bits in the later manufactured models, as an example mine came equipped with an nvme pcie m.2 as opposed to the m.2 sata I have seen listed in other specs and reviews.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Absolute noob question... I bought Legion Y530 | 15-inch Gaming Laptop | Lenovo US at the beginning of the year for working from home as well as casual gaming. Didn't plan to play anything highly intensive on it. However, playing Pillars of Eternity 2 on it seems to be RIDICULOUSLY slow... should that be the case?
Depends on which build you got, no?
One of them is with a 5400 spinner alone (jesus). I'd plug in an Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 for windoze and games and never look back. Maybe get 16GB ram down the road. Hopefully you got the 1050 TI and not the regular 1050?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, I'm going back to school and I need a new computer. I was thinking of a laptop....but have never owned one. I've always been strictly a desktop person as I enjoy gaming, though I don't play as much as I used to, I do enjoy (and miss) getting a new game and cranking up the settings on it. The only thing in the pipeline right now I can think of for PC I'm interested in is Fallout.

I enjoy my multi monitor set up too...and I know I can still do that (well with one additional)...anyways, would I be happy with a laptop you guys think? I don't plan on getting anything insane...maybe one with a 1050 or a 1060 in it. To put this in perspective my old desk top is running a 760.

Edit: one thing I'm worried about it the keyboard...they always seem so flat on laptops, do you get used to that when you've typed on a regular keyboard for forever?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Going to school requires computing power only for very specific majors. And even then, it's probably not necessary. Get a chromebook and use the money saved to get a decent PC at home.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’m not at home a lot, I go to my parents a lot on weekends when I’d be able to game...hence why I was leaning towards a laptop.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So you want something to game on? That all depends on how much you want to spend.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Don't know what your budget is, but I grabbed this one then added a 1 TB drive to it. Plays everything I like just fine. Keyboard definitely gets some getting used to. I always use a laptop cooling pad with it while I am gaming, its gets pretty warm.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Are one of those cooling pads pretty needed for gaming?

The keyboard difference is one of my worries for sure.

And I say that one on amazon too, basically I want a 1050/60 with 16gb ram and 1tb HD, a couple I saw had additional 250ssd’s as well.

$1200-1400 would be my max ceiling.

I just worry about the change I guess, it’s a lot of money for something I’ve never done I guess.

Are the 17inch displays super bulky?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I was worried that I’d miss out on the two inches, even though my wife also assured me there’s not a noticeable difference in enjoyment.

*cough*

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users