Laptop Computers

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
lmao, oops.

see what i mean by not paying attention to this stuff anymore?

seriously though i even looked to make sure it was 2400 mhz :wompwomp:

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
lmao, oops.

see what i mean by not paying attention to this stuff anymore?

seriously though i even looked to make sure it was 2400 mhz :wompwomp:

Your laptop also has a slot for the new SSD form factor. Look at a Samsung 970 Evo. That way you can still use your hard drive for some bulk storage, and get higher SSD performance vs the 2.5” drive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Looks like it doesn't have an SSD, that would be quite an upgrade. 8GB ram should be enough, but while you add an SSD or replace the hard drive, you could add another 8GB stick.

GAME CHANGER

Like whole different laptop now. Super fast.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Awesome! What SSD did you go with? Did you upgrade the ram as well?

I did the Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB. I replaced the 5400 rpm drive, instead of adding a smaller SSD
also tossed in another 8 gb stick of ram

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I did the Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB. I replaced the 5400 rpm drive, instead of adding a smaller SSD
also tossed in another 8 gb stick of ram

Nice, you should have enough mileage out of that laptop now, you’ll probably need a new battery before it’s time to get a new laptop.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Any thoughts on Samsung 860 QVO vs EVO for an elderly T440 Thinkpad, regulard SSD size? Replacing a 128gb shit ssd. It has a slot for an m2 2242 drive for storage / games, but it's poorly ventilated (under battery).

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Any thoughts on Samsung 860 QVO vs EVO for an elderly T440 Thinkpad, regulard SSD size? Replacing a 128gb shit ssd. It has a slot for an m2 2242 drive for storage / games, but it's poorly ventilated (under battery).

If it’s for regular light use, ie web browsing and normal desktop use, QVO should be fine.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Copped that new new 16 mbp. Lovin it as my dev machine.

Still way overpriced so fuck you Apple.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

you need sodimms, your laptop came with 4gb and they added another 4gb in the extra slot, so you can upgrade in pairs

you can do 16
Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4SFD824A

or just go all out 32

Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD824A

your laptop also has an empty m.2 slot for ssd upgrade

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4 or just choose 500 or 1tb however you want to get baller.

oops was looking at old post, eh maybe this helps

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
For anyone in the Market for a low to midrange laptop start keeping any eye out for AMD offerings. Performance vs price is ridiculous and the integrated graphics are on par with low level dedicated graphics cards.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any upper-mid range laptop that is the hotness atm? Looking for something for dev/gaming while at wor, and trying to slack on research because time is at a premium.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any laptop that has bluetooth should be able to do that. I use a bluetooth speaker with my surface all the time.

Do you know if it's possible to push audio from a laptop with bluetooth to a PC with a bluetooth receiver to play audio through that? All the info I can find online involves phones or bluetooth speakers.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would certainly think it should be possible. Whether there is an easy way to do it is another matter. I don't know anything off the top of my head.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
is Windows 10 advanced enough that a laptop with one HDMI output and a splitter can effectively have three unique screens worth of desktop workspace? or is technology still "dumb" enough that the splitter can at best just duplicate a display?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Any upper-mid range laptop that is the hotness atm? Looking for something for dev/gaming while at wor, and trying to slack on research because time is at a premium.

Making the following assumptions:
  • Don't know your preferred monitor size, so going with 15".
  • Also don't know what you consider "upper-mid range", so going with a $1500ish budget.
  • Assuming you want something that looks professional for work (i.e. no xtreme gamerz aggressive edges, RGB, etc.)

XPS 15 or UX550GE.

• 1Like

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
is Windows 10 advanced enough that a laptop with one HDMI output and a splitter can effectively have three unique screens worth of desktop workspace? or is technology still "dumb" enough that the splitter can at best just duplicate a display?

It’s pretty common for laptops to connect to a dock with a single cable, usb c, to output to 3 monitors, receive power, usb peripherals, and Ethernet. If you’re wondering did Microsoft magically make splitter dongles perform beyond their intended functionality, no.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Making the following assumptions:
  • Don't know your preferred monitor size, so going with 15".
  • Also don't know what you consider "upper-mid range", so going with a $1500ish budget.
  • Assuming you want something that looks professional for work (i.e. no xtreme gamerz aggressive edges, RGB, etc.)

XPS 15 or UX550GE.

Yeah, sorry. I should have put more info in there. Was a lazy attempt and I assumed I wouldn't get a response. Much appreciated mi amigo. Domo arigato!

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It’s pretty common for laptops to connect to a dock with a single cable, usb c, to output to 3 monitors, receive power, usb peripherals, and Ethernet. If you’re wondering did Microsoft magically make splitter dongles perform beyond their intended functionality, no.

ah cool, yeah USB-C makes sense as a solution, thanks man. figured the solution was something fairly simple, but i was having a hard time phrasing a google search to get an answer.