Laptop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The surface 4 and beyond have touchpads on par with MacBooks imo - It just feels "right"

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a small collection of thinkpads going back to the T60, my current work laptop is the T460, and the one I use around the house most is my T450s.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Budget preferably less than $1500 since I just spent 2k on PC and barely even use that.

I want a gaming laptop that is light for around the house and decent for travel. EQ is going to be pretty much it. Any recommendations?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Budget preferably less than $1500 since I just spent 2k on PC and barely even use that.

I want a gaming laptop that is light for around the house and decent for travel. EQ is going to be pretty much it. Any recommendations?

Probably overkill but the Amazon price came in below your budget.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean if you guys have something you like I’ll spend the money. I just don’t want a tank for a laptop. Light is key. I like that one prod may just get 1080 for GPU.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
It had good reviews on the BestBuy site, and at 5.5 lbs. is not bad for a gaming laptop. I suspect for what you’d want it’s either Asus ROG or the Lenovo gaming line.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Acer Predator Helios 300 is a good one to look at. I like mine quite a bit

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still liking the Predator?

I'm going to be buying a "gaming" laptop in the next few months, will likely just be used for wow classic / EQ but also would be nice to be able to run whatever "new" mmo's i feel like etc. without worrying about settings and stuff. I'm trying to keep myself under $1000 and the Acer predator helios 300 just dropped below it on amazon and seems to have great reviews from my random googling.

Other options? probably looking anywhere in the $500-1000 range and basically like i said main games it'll run (if not only) are EQ and WoW (mainly classic but maybe live some), so I don't need a ton of computer just want something that's smooth at max settings in a full raid without overheating etc.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Indeed, still rocking the Helios. After using it for a year and zero issues I would buy another without hesitation. Since it is 1080p the 1060 in it is perfect.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
jooka jooka how does it “feel”? I haven’t seen one in person but the other acer I’ve seen feel kind of flimsy plastic compared to like asus and MSi cases to me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It took me a bit to get used to it. I wouldn't say it is flimsy but not the most solid feeling laptop either.

Siliconemelons

Okay with my new work transition I am getting a new 15" MacBook Pro... I am determined to use OS-X as my daily driver OS as 95% of the staff and faculty are all Mac users...

With that my wife is starting to be sad about her piddly surface pro 2... it works fine... except we are both planning on playing WoW classic... that poor thing has something funky with it and it just sucks at WoW... it was fine when we both played Wrath but now, I do not know why- it just sucks no matter what we do to it.

I have some old HP EliteBook from my current job I can play WoW on no problem on pleab settings- and the new MacBook I am getting has the discrete ATI GPU, so I am sure it will be fine.

How are the built in Intel UHD video cards now days in most of the i3-5 variants? I guess I am looking to get her a decent new laptop, most likely a 2-in-1 or maybe a new surface.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I ran current WoW on a 2015 MacBook Pro which has Intel Iris Pro. Outside raids it was fine but the FPS around a lot of people was 15-20 so raiding was a no go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Looking for a laptop around the $500 range as honestly i don't expect it to survive the next year (industrial environment). 15", SSD, more than two USB ports, SD card slot are the only real requirements. A real serial port would be the icing. I'd prefer something with a graphics card over chipset graphics. Maybe that's old thinking but i haven't had to buy a laptop in several years, work usually supplied one.

I'm currently looking at this. Thoughts?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Ended up getting the Acer. It's a great laptop for what it is: good horsepower and options crammed in a $500 laptop. Sacrifices had to be made.

It's no modern thin and light. Think late 00' standard clamshell with a 15". A little lighter and a battery you can actually count on. And by count on i mean i've been using it on battery daily for 8+ hours with more left in the tank. Browsing, Excel and Word, VLC, some light Fusion360, and my work software. This thing is faster and more responsive then you;d think for a $500 laptop thanks to an 8th gen Core i5, 8GB of RAM, and an m.2 SSD. Underneath is an upgrade bay that's simple and accessible. An empty RAM slot, m.2 SSD right next to it, and an open SSD bay.

Geforce MX150 graphics card! Okay maybe it won't run Cyberpunk2077. Fine. Civ6 and PoE? Sure.

Full backlit keyboard with numberpad that's pretty comfortable to type on. Touchpad is accurate and responsive. Did i say numberpad? 2 USB-3, 1 USB-2, 1 USB-C, HDMI, VGA (for those old projectors some people refuse to give up), SD card, and a DVD burner (remember those?). Bluetooth is a nice touch for a laptop this cheap as well, have my mouse paired because fuck using a touchpad if i don't have to.

Sacrifices had to be made:
-Plastic is thin and bendy in spots. Doesn't feel cheap just...thin
-screen is a bit dim. It's very livable and maybe i'm just blinded by my 27" 144hz IPS at home.
-256gb main disk. Workable if you don't need to store much. m.2 though! and an empty SSD bay waiting for that terrabyte drive!
-big....when compared to today's laptops with narrow keys, no numberpad, no bezels.....

I like it.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are there any new top line gaming laptops coming out this year?

I want to spend 2.5-3.5k on a new laptop. The Asus ROG Zephyrus GX701 Gets great reviews but I hate not having a hardline for the internet. The Asus ROG G703GI does have the connector and so I am leaning towards it. Fortunately weight is not that big of a deal for me, and I usually just plug in when I play and so battery life not a factor either. I would wait a few more months if new hardware based laptops, or better deals on the high end existing ones are coming. Cyber Monday could have deals but most of the deals tend towards the lower ends models.

Any advice is welcome.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was reading about this Predator Triton 900 yesterday. It is pretty fucking beastly if you want to spend the $$$$

Predator_Triton_900_KSP_10.jpg

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Moderately dumb question:

Is my 2018 MacBook Pro 15’ going to be able to 40 man raid in WoW classic?

i7
16gig ram
Ssd
Amd 555 4gb video

I assumed the answer was yes but I’ll be on fucking WoW classic website in the dressing room and the web page complains it’s using too much memory. I had 6-7 pages open the other day going through WoW shit and I thought the computer was going to melt to death.

Is there some ram differential between web load and gaming load? I don’t know anything about that.

Concerned.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
not sure about the video card but 16 gb should be more than plenty to run any game. 16 gb is pretty much the standard in gaming machines. Might be something else fucked with the laptop or something though.