Laptop Computers

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Both of those are horrid for the price, are you in canada or something?? Ryzen 7 for gaming is kinda meh but 1230 for a i5-9300 is equally meh

I'm not in Canada, I'm just not up to date with what's considered a good laptop in 2020. How about this one? People keep mentioning Legion, and it has similar stats to the two I mentioned with a better processor.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've owned 2 of the more recent Legions and they are my top choice for something you can game on and take to work without it raising eyebrows. Also as i said i love having most usb and sockets in the rear and not off dangling in the sides so its another benefit. I believe my gf Alienware also does it but id never buy another Alienware again.

Specwise for price these are really good laptops

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a new 4500u or 4700u laptop? Looking for a good screen more than anything, ideally either 16gb or 8 that is single stick with an empty slot. I'd prefer not to overspend, the vast majority of the gaming that will be done on it will be PoE over GeForce Now. I considered a ~$1200 model like one of the Asus Tuf series but honestly I don't trust any laptop to run PoE well in all situations even with the Vulkan renderer. Besides PoE about all I'll use it for is web browsing and streaming / h.264-5 video. I'd consider going as far down as even a 3200u but I assume all those ones have really shitty screens.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Flex 5 14 since it's easily available (4500 at Amazon, 4700 at Costco but that seems like overkill to me). Only 62% sRGB sounds like a major con though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop 120Hz AMD Ryzen 7-4800H 8GB RAM 512GB SSD GTX 1650 4GB - AMD Ryzen 7-4800H Octa-core - 120Hz Refresh Rate - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 - Legion Ultimate $879

Lenovo Legion

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a new 4500u or 4700u laptop? Looking for a good screen more than anything, ideally either 16gb or 8 that is single stick with an empty slot. I'd prefer not to overspend, the vast majority of the gaming that will be done on it will be PoE over GeForce Now. I considered a ~$1200 model like one of the Asus Tuf series but honestly I don't trust any laptop to run PoE well in all situations even with the Vulkan renderer. Besides PoE about all I'll use it for is web browsing and streaming / h.264-5 video. I'd consider going as far down as even a 3200u but I assume all those ones have really shitty screens.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Flex 5 14 since it's easily available (4500 at Amazon, 4700 at Costco but that seems like overkill to me). Only 62% sRGB sounds like a major con though.

The new Omen 15 might be another option if you have any issues buying Lenovo. Supposedly the therms are very good. 72% sRGB NTSC which apparently correlates with 99% sRGB.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The new Omen 15 might be another option if you have any issues buying Lenovo. Supposedly the therms are very good. 72% sRGB.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Omen now too, along with the HP Envy x360 4700U since Best Buy has it on sale for 750 and it's in stock locally. That's probably what I'll end up getting, as I won't keep a display with even one dead pixel and it would be less hassle to return (assuming they don't have some retarded China virus policy in effect still). Only hesitation is the sRGB again, Best Buy is only selling the 250 nit + 60% one, not the 400 nit + 100% upgrade.

Last edited:

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Any decent gaming laptops out there that come with screens smaller than 15” and support a docking bay? I have a $1200 budget at the office to buy a new work laptop of my choice, but would like something that isn’t huge. All the Lenovo’s only start at 15”.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Any decent gaming laptops out there that come with screens smaller than 15” and support a docking bay? I have a $1200 budget at the office to buy a new work laptop of my choice, but would like something that isn’t huge. All the Lenovo’s only start at 15”.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I needed a new labtop for work and wound up just gwtting a new gaming laptop since it was onsale for 750. Wicked good deal at that price

10300h cpu
1660ti
8gb ddr4 3000hz
32gb optane
512 ssd
144hz display at 1080

Prob gonna replace my old gaming pc with its ryzen 1400 and rx580. Def a very good deal for that price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I picked up an Asus G14:

Grabbed it about a month ago and it has been a fantastic little laptop to slap down on a tv tray and do some gaming on the couch. Turn off the boost mode and set the fans to silent and it is whisper quiet without getting too hot. First laptop that doesn't annoy the wife when I'm playing beside her.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just bought the lower end model off Amazon for 1k on company dime to use as new work PC and will slap an extra 8gb into her to get the 16gb without the fancier video card. How’s the battery life for non gaming

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Battery life has been great when just working on excel spreadsheets with it.

Just make sure you check your options for when the GPU kicks in. I set mine up to only run off onboard graphics unless it is plugged in.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I ended up getting the Legion Y540 laptop after all. It's really powerful and can handle just about everything with flying colors. More powerful than my desktop even, and for $1300 it was a solid deal.

Two issues:

-NES emulation doesn't work (wtf), at least Nestopia. Couldn't find any fix for it and switched to a different emulator which means I can't access any of my old save states, though regular saves are fine. This is a pretty minor deal over all, just weird that my super-computer can handle everything except an NES emulator. Looked up the problem and other people with Y540 have the same issue.

-The battery life is terrible, probably the worst of any laptop I've ever had. I'd put the battery life at about 1 hour unplugged, roughly. A little less if the brightness is turned up, a little more if it's turned down. Could probably get this better by fiddling with settings, or maybe mine just has a bad battery.

As for the keyboard debate I was having earlier in this (or maybe a different) thread I ended up going with

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I ended up getting the Legion Y540 laptop after all. It's really powerful and can handle just about everything with flying colors. More powerful than my desktop even, and for $1300 it was a solid deal.

Two issues:

-NES emulation doesn't work (wtf), at least Nestopia. Couldn't find any fix for it and switched to a different emulator which means I can't access any of my old save states, though regular saves are fine. This is a pretty minor deal over all, just weird that my super-computer can handle everything except an NES emulator. Looked up the problem and other people with Y540 have the same issue.

-The battery life is terrible, probably the worst of any laptop I've ever had. I'd put the battery life at about 1 hour unplugged, roughly. A little less if the brightness is turned up, a little more if it's turned down. Could probably get this better by fiddling with settings, or maybe mine just has a bad battery.

As for the keyboard debate I was having earlier in this (or maybe a different) thread I ended up going with

What config?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
laptop specs.

32 GB RAM, 6 GB video RAM, Intel i7 processor, 1 TB HD + 1 TB SSD. The only thing I don't like besides the short battery life is that it has 3 USB slots (I'm used to laptops with 4)

15 inch monitor, backlit keyboard.

Giant power brick...wonder if this thing just gobbles up power and that's why the battery runs out so fast.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Think there is a type c in the rear - i used a hub to avoid anything going to the side myself.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What sites you guys use to find laptops these days?

I used to use sites like pricewatch.com and techbargains.com but that was a long time ago and i was wondering if there is anything better.

looking for a business laptop: i7, quad core, 16gb ram, a SSD, preferably at least 320 gigs, windows OS and a battery life of 6+ hours. i dont need the latest and the greatest, so im trying to slide in somewhere around $500-$750

wont be used for gaming: only work and internet browsing, so no need for a video card