Laptop Computers

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's basically what I was looking for, except with Ryzen 4500U or 4700U because AMD stomps Intel at this point. I also demand a 100% sRGB/72% NTSC display which in the end made me give up for now since the only option besides buying Chinese shit off Banggood or whatever is the HP Envy x360 13.3" model and that thing is nearly as much as a full-on gaming laptop.

If you're willing to accept a shittier display, my best advice would be to go directly to HP and find a model you like. Pick the CPU and display you want (don't fall for the "1000 nit" BS, those are privacy displays that are as bad or worse than the 250 nit options even with privacy mode off because it's a coating that is never really "off"), then remove everything else. You'll save something like $230 just getting rid of Windows 10, which you can easily get a key off Ebay for less than $10, and by going with base RAM and SSD you can save a lot more by opening it up and upgrading it to 16GB and 500GB-1TB yourself. Just make sure the thing offers an option for 16GB with dual channel RAM so that you know there's actually 2 slots inside. Downside is it probably won't ship until the end of August at the earliest.

If you don't want to tinker, then I doubt you're getting anything in that price range with those specs (even settling for Intel). Laptop supply is almost as bad as consoles and guns right now, and I don't see there being much in the way of 'back-to-school' sales this year.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
i bought a surface book 3 because i was severely disappointed in my ipad. any tips, thoughts, or otherwise discouraging information i should know about this thing?

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless you absolutely require the exact specs and dont care about money the best bet is look at all the various sellers and keep an eye out for sales. That pavillion gaming 16 i got last week from best buy costs over 1.1k if bought at that config from hp vs the 750 i paid.

I also got my sister a nice cheap model from Staples of all places. $350 For an I3 10th gen ice lake cpu 8gb ram and ssd. Its on sale vs 470 reg price.

Im really happy with the pavillion gaming so far. There are no reviews online for it so maybe i will post one.

But i wanted to mention the Optane andSSD combo as its new and unusual. Apparently intel sells these together and the ssd and optane are on the same card. Its basically an intel 660p ssd with a higher end optane.

The performance is excellent as a general ssd. But Intel says its best when really slamming it with tons of windows and processess. My experience is this is very true. I opened a dozen web pages, agame, and some huge work datasets that devour ram and store. Even like this every program opened super fast and ive just never seen a computer perform this well under stress like this ssd does.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I could never recommend buying an HP anything. Terrible support if you ever have to call in for anything. Surface Pros are nice, but even better are Surface Books!

Vorph

Unless you absolutely require the exact specs and dont care about money the best bet is look at all the various sellers and keep an eye out for sales. That pavillion gaming 16 i got last week from best buy costs over 1.1k if bought at that config from hp vs the 750 i paid.
Yeah, the only way I'd buy direct is with the trick I mentioned above. If you want something right away instead of sitting around hoping for Slickdeals or whatever to send a notification, find a model where they will let you delete Windows entirely and it will knock over $200 off the price.

I could never recommend buying an HP anything. Terrible support if you ever have to call in for anything. Surface Pros are nice, but even better are Surface Books!
Never had to deal with their service so I can't speak to that. I've bought a few of their business PCs and one laptop for companies I work for and I took it to be a good sign that none have required hardware service.

Only major company I would absolutely never buy from is Lenovo. Fuck them and their retarded soldered RAM.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking for something quiet yet powerful. Am I hoping for too much or is there something out there that performs well but doesn't sound like Airwolf lifting off? Preferably sub $1.5k

Was looking at the Asus TUF and Strix but the latter along with the Zephyrus are meant to run fairly hot and make a racket.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just ordered an XPS 13 with the new Tiger Lake processor and "Xe" graphics. This will be mainly a computer I can just relax on the couch with or take with me when I fly a handful of times a year, but from what I'm reading this is a gigantic step up from the past for ultrabooks. I really am not buying this to game on frequently whatsoever, but it certainly seems like I could do so now. Looks like I won't get it for a few weeks though. Got the i7 one, 16gb of RAM, 512gb SSD, $1600.

Overwatch was playable at 1080p on Ultra (averaging 89fps) and Epic (averaging 59fps). Let that sink in — a system with integrated graphics is running Overwatch, on its highest possible settings, at almost 60fps. That system beat the 4800U, which only managed 46fps on Ultra, and the 1065G7, which didn’t even pass 65fps on low settings in Engadget’s testing. Incidentally, this is also bad news for Nvidia — with integrated graphics like this available, there’s no reason anyone needs to pay for an entry-level GPU like the MX350.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My wife's old macbook air is on it's last legs so bought her a new laptop (Dell XPS 13) with the Core i5-1135G7 and Xe graphics - thing is a freaking beast. I can't believe something this small, light and portable can play so many games. She's all pissy because I'm playing WOW on it and it plays it great. It wasn't even that $ either (like $1200) so I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Build quality is excellent as well, just as good as any macbook we've owned.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Need a new laptop for work.

I have firefox open with multiple tabs, chrome with our CRM and several other tabs. Outlook, a softphone client.

Don't really follow hardware/tech anymore and trying to understand the Intel/AMD naming conventions gives me a headache.

Anything i5 and up should be ok, right?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

or

Wondering if the Ryzen 5-4600h is worth going over over a 5-4500u

Won't be using it for games, unless my desktop were to blow - and I only play wow classic

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
CyberPowerPC laptops are nice for the price. Had one for 4 years and zero problems:

Friend asked about buying a Dell recently and the prices terrible comparatively for the hardware you get.

Also wait till Black Friday / Cyber Monday. They always have awesome deals.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Been reading more and more about Apple's new M1 chip. It's pretty insane how good they are turning out to be. I'm not ready to buy one yet but I can see getting one down the road to replace my hachintosh

Fucker

Log Wizard
Been reading more and more about Apple's new M1 chip. It's pretty insane how good they are turning out to be. I'm not ready to buy one yet but I can see getting one down the road to replace my hachintosh
I grabbed a Mackbook Air M1 to replace my Dell XPS. XPS was an okay machine, but it always felt pokey and working it made the fans go like mad. The M1 is almost 2x faster in Cinebench R23 than my Dell, and it is faster than my 4790K dekstop by a lot...all while being fanless and sipping power. Macbook also has better screen and is a lot lighter and doesn't wreck the battery in 4 hours.

Demand must be huge. Ship date was supposed to be this week and slipped to who knows.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Apple's success with the M1 is stirring up rumors that Microsoft and Google will be developing there own ARM chips now as well. Intel and AMD(not as much) is gonna get hammered if so.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Apple's success with the M1 is stirring up rumors that Microsoft and Google will be developing there own ARM chips now as well. Intel and AMD(not as much) is gonna get hammered if so.

M1 has nothing to do with it. They are looking at Amazon's Graviton2 cpu which absolutely destroys Intel in cloud compute.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can anyone recommend a decent lower end prebuilt laptop for gaming? For playing WoW on a TV. Buddy asked me and I don’t pay attention to laptops so really no idea. Under $700.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need a new laptop for work.

I have firefox open with multiple tabs, chrome with our CRM and several other tabs. Outlook, a softphone client.

Don't really follow hardware/tech anymore and trying to understand the Intel/AMD naming conventions gives me a headache.

Anything i5 and up should be ok, right?

the best worklaptop will always be a thinkpad.

You can get them hella cheap too if you dont mind an auction version from an office liquidator.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Can anyone recommend a decent lower end prebuilt laptop for gaming? For playing WoW on a TV. Buddy asked me and I don’t pay attention to laptops so really no idea. Under $700.

Crone

ASUS Laptops debuted at CES are looking pretty hot! Better thermals, and for the first time in a while it has new CPUs and GPUs at the same time! Will be coming with the new Ryzen chips, with new 30 series GPUs. Considering this route instead of a full computer rebuild.