Laptop Computers

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I have the pro 3 i5. I agree the keyboard is bad but it's not too bad. For gaming, I'd go with the pro 3 over the xps 13 due to the fact it has active cooling. The xps 13 and all that use that chipset are all passively cooled so when doing anything intensive, performance just randomly throttles down.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
so now I'm looking at Yoga Pro 3 14", turns out I get a good discount from work. anyone? Price is almost to good to not try.

Chaotic_sl

shitlord
Any suggestions for a strictly on the go "gaming" laptop? I don't really play any super intense games, mostly strategy and simulation games that aren't too intense. Not too concerned with maximum settings and fps , but I do want to be able to play anything.
Has to be light, portable, good battery life, has to be able to sit on my lap without setting me on fire. SSD a plus. 13-16". Dedicated GPU. A high quality screen is a must.

Looked at the dell xps 13 / alienware 13, budget around $1000. Played with the HP spectre at best buy as well, liked the way that felt.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Any suggestions for a strictly on the go "gaming" laptop? I don't really play any super intense games, mostly strategy and simulation games that aren't too intense. Not too concerned with maximum settings and fps , but I do want to be able to play anything.
Has to be light, portable, good battery life, has to be able to sit on my lap without setting me on fire. SSD a plus. 13-16". Dedicated GPU. A high quality screen is a must.

Looked at the dell xps 13 / alienware 13, budget around $1000. Played with the HP spectre at best buy as well, liked the way that felt.
This is the laptop I bought a few months ago and I've been very happy with it -MSI GE 62. I play X-Com, League of Legends, EU4, CK2, Civilization V, Borderlands Pre-Sequel, etc all at max settings without any lag or issues. Its pretty light at ~6lbs, the screen is great, and really doesn't overheat. I can't speak much to the battery life, since mine is always plugged in, but reviews on the battery life on this seems standard for a laptop with a gtx965M.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So I think I hit the limitation on my chromebook. I cannot get vmware or virtual box to work properly and I need it for a class. Looks like I am in the market, even though I didn't want to buy until next year. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much but I want a nice screen and screaming performance.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I'm strongly considering picking up a Surface Pro 4. Played around with the Pro 3 and thought it was pretty appealing... will be nice to see what kind of improvements they have coming (new processor should help with performance and battery). Also has a pretty cool docking station that would make it easy to connect to a dual-screen setup to work on one system rather than try and keep many synchronized. Supposed to come out in early October.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am looking at the Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241. Cheap, powerful, decent reviews, but only integrateddy graphics. Not like I game much anymore anyway, but still.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
So I think I hit the limitation on my chromebook. I cannot get vmware or virtual box to work properly and I need it for a class. Looks like I am in the market, even though I didn't want to buy until next year. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much but I want a nice screen and screaming performance.
Dell XPS 13 is a nice notebook. Screen is beautiful. Good price but the chipset is passively cooled so it will throttle.

I'd personally recommend the Surface Pro 3. I know the 4 is around the corner, but the 4is rumored to be passively cooled as well. The Pro 3 has bit locker encryption via the bios as well as built in hardware virtualization capabilities. Pretty sweet piece of kit. I have the i5 128gb model.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love my XPS13. Best Dell laptop I have seen in a long time. My only gripe is the stupid webcam is placed in the lower left corner. Skype cam up my fucking nose isn't so great.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I needed a second (and cheap) laptop for the house, so I bought this Asus laptop from Amazon for $349. What makes this one stand out is that it has a 1080p screen. Most cheap laptops have shitty 1366x768 screens, which are a crime against humanity. It also ships with Windows 10, a Broadwell i3, 4GB, 500gb, Intel HD 5500 graphics, DVD, etc. I replaced the spinner with an SSD and now the thing flies.

Amazon.com: ASUS F555LA-AB31 15.6-inch Full-HD Laptop (Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD) with Windows 10: Computers Accessories

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Speaking of shitty 1366x768 screens, anyone know a way to reduce the scaling below 100% in Windows 10 so that I can at least make some decent use of that tiny screen? I have an Alienware M11xR3 and nothing better to do with it at this point than use it for work/courses. I found a registry hack for Windows Vista/7 that did the trick back then, but it's been patched in 8/8.1/10.

Yeah, it's a tiny screen, but I have good eyesight. At least, until I use this thing too much.

Edit: "Run Linux" is an acceptable answer, but I'd rather not go there unless I have to.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Have you seen the newLG Gram?

Now I want something like that for 600 USD
smile.png

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Dell just refreshed the XPS 15 with the super-thin bezel that the 13" version has, along with Skylake. Looks like a decent machine.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm thinking of buying a laptop for the first time in 5 years. I have no idea what to look for in a laptop any more. I'm aiming for a mid-range 15" machine that has a capacity to play some games (i.e. has an nvidia gfx card). But what should one look for, and avoid in laptops these days? Are there models I need to avoid like the plague? Features to look out for?