Laptop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Whats with the Lenovo Y510p offering an SSD but only a 24GB one?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Hmm, little bit of a quandary. You are right in that Haswell is the way to go, but your requirements are a little contradictory on the grad school/gaming end. You could get a powerful but portable computer, but then you would probably pay quite a bit for it. For grad school, do you intend to take hand-written notes? Would you want something with a stylus? What, more specifically, is your price range?
No I'll just be typing notes and using it for research and papers, so there's no special requirement there. It's somewhat contradictory to want a laptop that can game that is also thin and portable and has long battery life, but it seems like Haswell would allow all of those things, so now I'm looking to get them all.

Any idea when the chips with nothing but the Intel HD5200 will come out?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
No I'll just be typing notes and using it for research and papers, so there's no special requirement there. It's somewhat contradictory to want a laptop that can game that is also thin and portable and has long battery life, but it seems like Haswell would allow all of those things, so now I'm looking to get them all.

Any idea when the chips with nothing but the Intel HD5200 will come out?
You are absolutely right that you want a Haswell notebook. If money isn't a big issue I would personally recommend one of the i5 versions of the Asus Zenbook Infinity when they are released (probably within a couple of months). It is basically a Macbook air competitor but with windows and SLIGHTLY cheaper (I think). They are super-thin and ultra portable but should be powerful enough for gaming on. Downside is it would probably set you back about a $1000 dependent on which model you get.

If that is too much I can probably track something down in your price range, just need a more specific target. Right now there isn't a whole lot to choose from on the ultrabook end but a ton more models should be rolling out this summer.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Are there any Haswell laptops out yet that rely on the integrated gpu? The only ones I can find are ultra performance ones that have a dedicated GPU. I'm kind of thinking about buying a new laptop, and if the haswell integrated gpu can almost compete with higher end dedicated gpu mixed with the massive battery increase, that might be just what I'm looking for.
https://www.system76.com/

^^^ these will apparently have Iris...available for order later this month.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Apple calls them fusion drives. They're being put to use a lot. Its a happy medium of cost and performance. You get decent space, decent performance in contrast to paying way more and having less space but getting tremendous performance.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Dedicated graphics, at least Nvidia are not a bad thing. With Optimus, they're graphics switching technology. The laptop primarily uses the CPUs graphics and only switches to the dedicated GPU for software you choose, like games. It's the best of both worlds.

Haswell's gpu is defintely a big step up for intel graphics, but its still a pretty big step down from a real graphics card.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Any recommendations for a new laptop that is going to be used for light gaming (nothing graphic intense, possibly indie type games), mostly web browsing, watching netflix, browser based games, etc. I'm looking in a $500 price range. Haven't laptop shopped since I bought my last one 4 years ago so any help is appreciated.

Something like this catches my eye because it seems simple enough, though I could go higher priced then that. Just wondering if that is worth the price or if I could do better.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-...productDetails

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Decided to order up a IdeaPad y510p, came a couple days ago. Sending it back. Win 8 is complete shit, will never use it on any machine I own, if ever a day comes I can't rebuild/build a desktop on win 7 until MS comes down to reality I will will not being using an OS from them, nor pirating at this point. The track pad is complete garbage as well.(pretty sure all PC laptops track pads are shit but I use a macbook for work so perhaps I am spoiled)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
For 1K i decided the keep the laptop. It is in parts at this point, will put it back together over the weekend.

Rune_sl

shitlord
Been considering getting this ASUS G75VW that was mentioned in the start of the thread. My old 300$ gateway laptop is slowly dying.

It's pretty cheap now, since it's a refurbished model, but this will still be over double what I've ever spent on any electronic device. The exchange only policy from newegg kinda scares me off the deal, but given the ludicrous amount of moving around the country I do I've always wanted a laptop like this.

Anybody have any recommendations either way? The sale ends Monday, still considering whether it's worth the risk of bricking out on me like that review at the bottom says.

ASUS G75VW

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Any recommendations for a new laptop that is going to be used for light gaming (nothing graphic intense, possibly indie type games), mostly web browsing, watching netflix, browser based games, etc. I'm looking in a $500 price range. Haven't laptop shopped since I bought my last one 4 years ago so any help is appreciated.

Something like this catches my eye because it seems simple enough, though I could go higher priced then that. Just wondering if that is worth the price or if I could do better.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-...productDetails
What's the verdict on this? I was looking at it too oddly enough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been considering getting this ASUS G75VW that was mentioned in the start of the thread. My old 300$ gateway laptop is slowly dying.

It's pretty cheap now, since it's a refurbished model, but this will still be over double what I've ever spent on any electronic device. The exchange only policy from newegg kinda scares me off the deal, but given the ludicrous amount of moving around the country I do I've always wanted a laptop like this.

Anybody have any recommendations either way? The sale ends Monday, still considering whether it's worth the risk of bricking out on me like that review at the bottom says.

ASUS G75VW
I can almost guarantee this guy did something he wasn't supposed to, resetting the BIOS to default shouldn't brick a PC - and I've flashed the BIOS on my ASUS G73 many times with no issues. I've even used custom BIOS ROMs.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So I've had a laptop connected to my TV for a while now serving as a Plex client. Today it randomly started flaking out, and the screen goes scrambled with a bunch of colors. This happens whether it's connected to the tv or not. I can get to Windows, but it will scramble again for no reason after a while, or just randomly restart. It's an Asus UL30A-X4 running Windows 7.

I'm worried it might be the integrated graphics, but it seems odd that it would let me do things in safe mode with impunity, and even just sit with nothing going on without a problem. It's only when I try doing stuff in chrome or loading plex that it flakes out. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 now and see if that helps.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'm worried it might be the integrated graphics, but it seems odd that it would let me do things in safe mode with impunity, and even just sit with nothing going on without a problem. It's only when I try doing stuff in chrome or loading plex that it flakes out. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 7 now and see if that helps.
Entirely possible that it simply isn't running hot enough to display any artifacts when you aren't doing anything with it (or when it's in safe mode, which means it isn't loading the driver anyway and isn't trying to do much work). You should try to run something like FurMark to see if it only happens when the GPU is under stress.