Laptop Computers

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You looking for a setup that will power 2 external monitors, or just 1 external + the laptops built-in screen?
2 external and if possible with the laptop closed, I'm pretty sure you can do this but I've never tried or seen it done.

Hekotat

Excellent!

rrr_img_41942.jpg

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Or you can get a 20$ docking station for said laptop which all have dual external screen support. I boughtthisfor 25$ from ebay (no charger). Does what you want and much more.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Any modern laptop had both HDMI and VGA out. Plug one into each monitor. Success.

Well the laptop I previously ordered ended up going back for shitty wireless so I'm in the market for something again. It was 13.3 inches and I think I would like something bigger. I was looking through haswell laptops and even though it has been anther month there are still hardly any out?

Searching for:
1600x900 or better screen
Haswell Processor
15ish inch screen and I come up with almost nothing.

Am I doing it wrong?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So I picked up the Lenovo y510p on a sale. Just one question, why does it have 2 graphics drivers? I have Windows 8 and I thought that switchable graphics is not available on W8. How do I even know which is getting used if I have them both?

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
price went down onsamsung ativ book 9 plus(worst name ever) on amazon, from 1399 to 1199.

Some reviews saying the 3200x1800 screen causes weird scaling issues in unsupported software, like photoshop and other 3rd party things. Still in for one, should be arriving on the 12th.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has anyone played with the new Macbook Air? I want something thin and light (13") that's packing the new Haswell chips. I looked at the Acer S7, and while it was kind of nice, I wasn't really liking the gorilla glass lid and super sharp edges on it.

I've read that the MBA is likely the "best" ultrabook right now, as you can run Windows on it, and the hardware is about the best you can buy currently. I'm also thinking I like the idea of their warranty, as it covers accidental damage, and I'm a clumsy fucker.

Edit: I should note, my price-range runs to about $2200-2300 with all the bells and whistles.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
the samsungbook9plus will be upgradeable to a 256gb ssd and an i7 haz processor in the "near future", probably a few months, and I would peg that around ~$1800 or so. If they roll out fixes to software scaling issues on the pixelpacked display, I would choose it over a macbook. Squaretrade has some good warranties on accidental damage for any kind of laptop/electronic.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I was holding out for a Haswell Macbook Pro to be announced last night but it wasn't, so I'll prolly get the MBA 13" as well Mageling.

To be honest the only "upgrades" i'm expecting for the the new Macbook Pro is thunderbolt 2 aka 4k displays...and I wouldn't buy a 4k display, or really use Thunderbolt..so I guess the Air is good as.

Goonsquad Officer
So looking for advice.

I want a laptop or tablet + hard button keyboard. Roughly the equivalent of surface pro.

I want windows 8 (real version, not RT)
hard keyboard with buttons on it. I'm fucking with a friend's windows surface RT. RT is retarded (why would you launch windows minus it's strength in software)
ability to play some games. I hear surface pro can run civ V. that's roughly my aim so I can play turn based, moderate games. no need to play the latest 3d super games.

USB ports, Bluetooth connections (for mouse at work).

I Don't actually care if the top separates from the keyboard, and become a tablet. touch interface annoys me more than is a convenience really. though I wouldn't mind touch, and wouldn't mind if the screen flipped.

the felt-pad keyboard and touch screen typing makes me want to galge my eyes out. I can use my cel phone for that shit.

I'm not going for light and small form, it can be heavy, but being roughly the screen size of the surface would do me fine. work may get grouchy if I throw down a fat power book, but everyone fucks with tablets.

tl;dr, I want something like a surface pro, but I am not fixated on having a 'tablet' with a removable keyboard. I suspect there is a cheaper product that will deliver what I want.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I impulse purchased an ASUS G46V yesterday. Am I making good choices? y/n

Hekotat

God dammit, looks like I'm going to have to buy ANOTHER Chromebook with the Haswell chip when they launch.

bho

any quick advice - considering acer s7 i7 version, acer s7 i5 version, samsung ativ book 9 plus, or samsung ativ book 9 regular. Any thoughts?

bho

by the way, using it for work on the road (mainly excel, outlook, web browsing) and travel (watching 720p TV/movies). would be nice to play some games (ffxiv, league) at low/med settings but not critical. battery life important.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
When will apple put a decent screen on the Air? I dig the design, albeit it's not up to 2013 ultrabook standards, no touch. But that low resolution screen is a deal breaker for me. Same reason the ipad mini is a nogo yet. Looking at a Lenovo U330 touch or something similar. Any suggestions for a $1K'ish ultrabook with a decent screen?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I impulse purchased an ASUS G46V yesterday. Am I making good choices? y/n
This laptop hasn't made a very good impression. First day I notice the trackpad is a little screwy. Not always clicking the links I tap. Then the audio doesn't work when coming out of sleep. Now I noticed one of the cursor keys is physically broken.

I could prolly fix the audio and maybe the trackpad, but gimme a break man! Still haven't decided if I'm going to return for refund or replace.