Lasik Eye Surgery

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just got a call from the LASIK place I am getting my procedure done at. They had an opening this week that I can take. Going to go through with it as they had projected an actual scheduled time of February 2016. Going to get my dominant eye done to start and then follow up with the second sometime next year when it is fully healed.

Should be interesting the difference in procedures. I had the 'flap' version done around 12 years ago and this is an enhancement done via PRK.

Good heads up on the Shampoo, I would have suffered the same fate. I probably still will.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Still loving the Lasik, best money I've ever spent I think. Dryness is going away pretty quickly and can look at a monitor all day without issues now (only a 1.5 weeks in).

However... I wish I knew about ICL before I got Lasik. Basically an internal contact lens that is inserted through a small hole in the iris. Vision corrections without any issues of a flap, nor the long recovery of PRK. If you ever need adjustments, they take it out and can place a more powerful lens in. Only downside is it is a good deal more expensive than Lasik or PRK

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I had lasik almost 10 years ago. Still 100% satisfied. Sure my vision isn't PERFECT, but it is really good, and I don't have to fuck around with glasses or anything else ever again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Well, at least until you're old balls and have to wear reading glasses. Not much lasik can do for that.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No icl people available in my city but i found someone in Columbus that says it's 3k per eye. I could definitely go for that, reversible, no downtime, and no dry eye concerns sound great. My corneas limit me to prk apparently and I did not like description of the recovery and the duration

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I wear glasses when I'm driving and it's dusk/night time. Plus any time it's snowing or raining. Otherwise I focus on the windshield as opposed to looking through it at the road. I'm farsighted like that.

Anyway, my eyes seem to be getting worse and worse lately. They're normally "good enough" for everyday situations, but it feels like I need to turn to my glasses more and more often to see things. Fortunately I can see things very close incredibly well. Like if I'm drawing or reading a blueprint.

Anyway, I signed up for a free appointment with a Lasik guy to see if I'm a candidate. This guy does "custom" lasik, which I think is just a buzz word. It seems that ALL lasik would be custom. This guy charges $4500 for both eyes. My appointment is on the 30th, so I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: I just called my eye doctor. I last got an eye exam back in 2013. My eyes are laughably better than most of you, but it still annoys me that I "need" glasses at times.
Right eye is -1.25. Left is -1.5. At least that's what it was 2 years ago.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I wear glasses when I'm driving and it's dusk/night time. Plus any time it's snowing or raining. Otherwise I focus on the windshield as opposed to looking through it at the road. I'm farsighted like that.

Anyway, my eyes seem to be getting worse and worse lately. They're normally "good enough" for everyday situations, but it feels like I need to turn to my glasses more and more often to see things. Fortunately I can see things very close incredibly well. Like if I'm drawing or reading a blueprint.

Anyway, I signed up for a free appointment with a Lasik guy to see if I'm a candidate. This guy does "custom" lasik, which I think is just a buzz word. It seems that ALL lasik would be custom. This guy charges $4500 for both eyes. My appointment is on the 30th, so I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: I just called my eye doctor. I last got an eye exam back in 2013. My eyes are laughably better than most of you, but it still annoys me that I "need" glasses at times.
Right eye is -1.25. Left is -1.5. At least that's what it was 2 years ago.
Geez... That is indeed a mild prescription, but being able to see perfectly clear again is worth it.

That price is a little high for that prescription. Do you have an astigmatism?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That was the first person I spoke to. His price is high due to "custom" lasik, whatever that is. After I have the free meeting with the guy and inform myself on the process, I'll seek out cheaper options. I'm sure my mild perscription would allow me to get one of the really inexpensive Lasik procedures that is advertised.

Picasso3

I called cleveland and columbus and it seemed to be about $1300 an eye for custom lasik. What all that included i'm not 100%, but i'd say you can save 1k pretty easily.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, that $4500 price was through Wills Eye Hospital of Philadelphia. That's definitely the regions best eye place. They took care of me both times that I had Optic Neuritis. But then again, that's like going to a brain surgeon because you have a pulled muscle. Kind of overkill.

ubiquitrips

Got my procedure done yesterday afternoon. It was just my left eye to start. My rides fell through so I ended up just Ubering to the clinic and home. Overall, I feel like the appointment took 30 minutes in and out. The actual procedure probably took 5 minutes tops. I am not sure what the procedure 'looked' like when I got LASIK, but this time the eye getting surgery was seeing a purplish fiery surface of the sun type image while they did their thing. Was pretty neat.

They gave me my Tylenol 3 prescription and sent me on my way. Honestly, I could have probably driven myself to this and back home if I didn't accept their Valium. I felt almost completely fine. When I got home I just took some Zzzquill and went to bed for a majority of the evening. I woke up once and put in my eye drops, then went back to bed. There was no discomfort at all.

When I woke up this morning for my follow up appointment, again, no discomfort. I just kept putting in my drops and went to my check in at the office. They said the eye is healing up nicely and sent me on my way 5 minutes later. Right now they said I am good to drive if I feel fine and do not take the Tylenol 3, which I still haven't used anyway.

I am kind of waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. I encountered a lot of doom and gloom "oh you will be so uncomfortable and in so much pain" stories online and from folks I knew. Since I had LASIK last time and PRK this time I just assumed it was a bigger difference. We shall see. I sit here typing this and, while my vision is blurry in that eye, there is no real discomfort and certainly no pain.

I think getting one eye done at a time was a good decision. Even worst case scenario I could throw on an eye patch or something and still be mostly functional. I probably still wear an eye patch for a bit at work just so I don't strain my eye too much sitting at a computer all day.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Got my procedure done yesterday afternoon. It was just my left eye to start. My rides fell through so I ended up just Ubering to the clinic and home. Overall, I feel like the appointment took 30 minutes in and out. The actual procedure probably took 5 minutes tops. I am not sure what the procedure 'looked' like when I got LASIK, but this time the eye getting surgery was seeing a purplish fiery surface of the sun type image while they did their thing. Was pretty neat.

They gave me my Tylenol 3 prescription and sent me on my way. Honestly, I could have probably driven myself to this and back home if I didn't accept their Valium. I felt almost completely fine. When I got home I just took some Zzzquill and went to bed for a majority of the evening. I woke up once and put in my eye drops, then went back to bed. There was no discomfort at all.

When I woke up this morning for my follow up appointment, again, no discomfort. I just kept putting in my drops and went to my check in at the office. They said the eye is healing up nicely and sent me on my way 5 minutes later. Right now they said I am good to drive if I feel fine and do not take the Tylenol 3, which I still haven't used anyway.

I am kind of waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. I encountered a lot of doom and gloom "oh you will be so uncomfortable and in so much pain" stories online and from folks I knew. Since I had LASIK last time and PRK this time I just assumed it was a bigger difference. We shall see. I sit here typing this and, while my vision is blurry in that eye, there is no real discomfort and certainly no pain.

I think getting one eye done at a time was a good decision. Even worst case scenario I could throw on an eye patch or something and still be mostly functional. I probably still wear an eye patch for a bit at work just so I don't strain my eye too much sitting at a computer all day.
The first 2 hours after my LASIK sucked, was about it. Went to sleep and woke up and was able to see and no discomfort anymore. The only discomfort I had following (and to this day, but getting lesser each passing day) is really bad dry-eye when I wake up in the morning.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I had the regular lasik done about 8 years ago. Still 20/15 in both eyes. I don't regret it one bit.

I had my then gf drive me and did both eyes on the same day. Came home and slept. The only discomfort I had was my eyes were swollen a bit but I had prednisone drops to reduce the swelling and the regular eye drops. I wish I'd have done it sooner.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
It sounds like ICL would benefit me more as I was not a candidate for Lasik when I checked about four years ago -- the doctor would only perform PRK. I like the idea of being able to change to a stronger prescription down the line if necessary.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had lasik done about 3ish years ago. They were fine for the first hour, after that they burned for about 6 hours, I wish I could have slept through the healing process, but the pain was too rough, I had gotten a good nights sleep before hand, and then had my proceedure at like 10am, I think I laid in bed until like 5-6pm at which point I finally fell asleep and slept until like 3am, and was fine after that, I just couldn't stop crying/fall asleep because my eyes stung so bad if I tried to open them, but if I kept them shut, it was much more mild. I was amazed at how quickly I could see high quality though, I went from 20/70 to 20/15 (and now I'm still slightly above 20/20)

ubiquitrips

The bandage contact was removed today. Still going strong on the no issues bandwagon. The worst shape my eye has been is still at the level of 'mild discomfort' and that is remedied by more lubricating drops. The antibiotic drop stings a little more going directly on the eye. Vision started at 20/70 before the procedure and was 20/50 today. Over the next several weeks that is supposed to improve and the haziness should go away. I spoke with another recent PRK patient at the clinic today and he had no discomfort either. It was his next day follow up.

Picasso3

scheduled to go to the big city of columbus to get this done in march, probably going to be PRK (3800 total) or ICL (7600 total). Supposedly i'll need 3 days there and then a 1 week followup.

Echuta

I had Lasik done 11 years ago and no regrets. It's not the most comfortable procedure, but it was waaaay less intrusive than I thought it would be. I went from 20/200 to 20/20. 11 years later I do notice that stuff very far away has a little bit of blurriness and my depth perception has lessened, but I would still do again. My procedure took 20 minutes and after a 4 hour nap I was fine. Halo effect lasted about 2 weeks.