Lasik Eye Surgery

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
I had ICL almost 9 years ago with touch-up Lasik. They gave me a happy pill that dissolves under the tongue (Valium?) just before I went in. I was awake, but really didn't give a shit during the procedure - despite being super anxious going into it. As mentioned above, dry eyes and halos at night for a month or so, then everything is great. No discomfort at any point. 20/400 corrected to 20/15.

My first eye exam after the initial post-op checkups was last year for a driver's license renewal - vision is still 20/20. I would have no problem going in for another lasik touch-up if necessary, though.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Always been interested but never looked into it. I can't tolerate eye drops so i fear spazzing during a procedure.

Was kinda hoping now that it's been out a long time it's only gotten better and cheaper. Any idea if good insurance usually would partially cover?

If not what kind of costs these days

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

I got your back or your front, whichever you need since you'll be blind. Wait...30 minutes? I'm too late.

i got prk so i am still not recovered, asshoe

custom prk was 3k even in columbus, no insurance involved. Lasik was similar prices, only ICL is expensive (2x).

Procedure was easy peasy and I'm pretty squeamish, its only like 5 minutes. You're crazy not to get lasik if you're a good candidate and somewhat blind (i was -5.50)

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Man, I thought my -5.25 was bad.

Glad to hear it went OK. Almost 10 years later, my wife and I both still talk about how awesome it is to not worry about contacts or glasses.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So what makes a good candidate? I'm -3.00 / -2.75 with a VERY slight astigmatism.

Picasso3

Corneal thickness which they'll tell you at consult. -3 is a good start because they don't have to burn off as much thickness the less fucked up you are.

They can fix your stiggmertism too

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe I'll look into it next year. I just bought a years worth of daily wear contacts(please don't shame me).

Picasso3

Spend the time to get it set up so you can pay for it with fsa or hsa monies and go for it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Maybe I'll look into it next year. I just bought a years worth of daily wear contacts(please don't shame me).

I wouldn't put it off because of that. Find some homeless guy and graciously bestow the daily wears unto him for positive Karma - enjoy your augmented eyeballs one year sooner. Queue Elton John "Circle of Life".

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Had Lasik 100% laser done yesterday, god damn did my eyes burn for 6 or so hours afterwards, was like some one rubbed CS gas directly into my eyeballs. Have the halo effects now but all the pain is gone and I can see without glasses.

Once I fully heal I will check back in.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The halo effects are where halos of varying intensities appear over SJWs' heads depending on how much virtue they've signaled, right?

Shit am I in the right thread?

My correction is something like -1.25, I barely need anything; really just use glasses for night driving, watching movies/tv for best detail, and if I'm needing to look over someone's shoulder at work or watching a presentation in a meeting or something. I think there's an extremely slight stiggermatism in there, I forget, haven't really had an eye exam in forever. My eyes have been static at this level for 20 years.

Thoughts on if I should consider Lasik? I wouldn't mind not needing glasses at all, even though it's just a slight inconvenience right now.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Had Lasik 100% laser done yesterday, god damn did my eyes burn for 6 or so hours afterwards, was like some one rubbed CS gas directly into my eyeballs. Have the halo effects now but all the pain is gone and I can see without glasses.

Once I fully heal I will check back in.

The drive after was the worst of it all by far. The numbing drops start wearing off and then your eyes start going into damage-repair mode causing your eyes to not only burn like the fiery inferno but water like the Niagara Falls. Popped my sleeping pill as soon as I got into the car and started kicking in right as we pulled into the drive-way. Woke up many hours later able to see crystal clear, just had slight light sensitivity for a day or two.

Still the best decision of my life... I was at a -6.25, so it was incredible being able to see without anymore extra aides (contacts or glasses). Only issue I have still is minor dry eyes at work (I sit infront of a computer all day) and minor light sensitivity that really only affects me when there is snow on the ground. Kind-of strange, but if it is sunny and with snow on the ground my eyes water badly, this especially sucks when driving to work. Sunglasses fix it, so I think it has to do with the large amount of light reflections from the sun and snow. As stated, this is the ONLY time I have any reaction to light.

In the discussion of the flap, my sister is an Optometrist and we've had discussions regarding the flap and whatnot before I had my procdure done and it basically comes down to a few (1-3) every hundred-thousand procedures where someone has a flap dislodgement. That flap isn't going anywhere for the average person.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I was -8.5 in both eyes before I had LASIK done a few years ago. I've suffered from extreme dry eye ever since. I'm literally using artificial tears every 15 to 30 minutes on bad days. However, I just started a new eye drop medication named 'Xidra' which has helped tremendously.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The drive after was the worst of it all by far. The numbing drops start wearing off and then your eyes start going into damage-repair mode causing your eyes to not only burn like the fiery inferno but water like the Niagara Falls. Popped my sleeping pill as soon as I got into the car and started kicking in right as we pulled into the drive-way. Woke up many hours later able to see crystal clear, just had slight light sensitivity for a day or two.

I've never heard of a reputable place letting a patient drive them self home after LASIK. Did you fake them out or something?

I've had it done twice, once to go from -3.50/-3.50 to 20/18 in 2005 and a touch up to go from 20/40 back to 20/18 a decade later. I'm part of the low percentage of patients that had deterioration after the initial procedure. Anyways, both times the surgery was between 6am - 7am on a Friday morning. Had to have someone with you to drive you home. Gave you 20mg of Xanax under the tongue 30 minutes before the surgery, surgery took a few minutes per eye, then into a cold, dark room for an hour to ensure no complications immediately post surgery. After that, I was driven home and was asleep the rest of the day waking up a few times to drink, pee, and put numbing drops in my eyes since they burned like there was acid in them. Woke up the next day with no issues both times and never had any additional issues with either surgery. Best decision I've ever made in my life.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I've never heard of a reputable place letting a patient drive them self home after LASIK. Did you fake them out or something?

I've had it done twice, once to go from -3.50/-3.50 to 20/18 in 2005 and a touch up to go from 20/40 back to 20/18 a decade later. I'm part of the low percentage of patients that had deterioration after the initial procedure. Anyways, both times the surgery was between 6am - 7am on a Friday morning. Had to have someone with you to drive you home. Gave you 20mg of Xanax under the tongue 30 minutes before the surgery, surgery took a few minutes per eye, then into a cold, dark room for an hour to ensure no complications immediately post surgery. After that, I was driven home and was asleep the rest of the day waking up a few times to drink, pee, and put numbing drops in my eyes since they burned like there was acid in them. Woke up the next day with no issues both times and never had any additional issues with either surgery. Best decision I've ever made in my life.

Of course I didn't drive home. I couldn't imagine even trying to with the watery eyes, burning, and light sensitivity (I had to put something over my face because any light was super intense right after the procedure for me).

I was -8.5 in both eyes before I had LASIK done a few years ago. I've suffered from extreme dry eye ever since. I'm literally using artificial tears every 15 to 30 minutes on bad days. However, I just started a new eye drop medication named 'Xidra' which has helped tremendously.

Have you tried Punctal plugs to help your dry eyes? If not, talk to your optometrist and have them done, may help a lot (really helped a coworker of mine).

Last edited: