Lasik Eye Surgery

Achtung

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Every year or so I read a thread about LASIK (like this one!) in the hope that something has developed. My issue is that while my vision is somewhat weak, my main problem is astigmatism. I get pretty rough astigmatism headaches if I don't wear glasses. Seems like LASIK for astigmatism has been "experimental" for several years that that it still hasn't reached the point that I am comfortable with it. The thought of something going wrong is kinda terrifying and I need the procedure to be totally mainstream and tested on a zillion other people before I get comfortable with it. Will check back again in 2015!

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Custom LASIK is good at preventing astigmatism from getting worse as well as preventing night vision problems because it actually measures your eye, instead of just shaping it to some stock size. Obviously I'm not a dr, but you're never going to get one of them to 100% guarantee a procedure, just like you'll never find a truth telling lawyer.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I barely qualified for LASIK when I did it 10 years ago. In fact, my appointment was for PRK, but the doc looked at the charts one more time and said fuck it. Not scary at all o_O

The procedure was absolutely painless. They put drops in to numb your eyes, then it just felt like my eyes were suction cupped open, and I was at the bottom of a pool looking at a red light on the surface.

The one thing I would do different is not pay for the lifetime guarantee. The place snuck in a mandatory annual 'eye exam' requirement with them only for 100$ or it gets cancelled.

10 years on, my right eye is still sharp but my left is getting a bit fuzzy. I can fudge eye exams still by squinting.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Why did you go with PRK over lasik?
Went in and the dr took another look during prep and thought that would be the better route. I had known I qualified for it from the get go, and the only reason I didn't go with it was because I hate contact lenses. Also the cornea is stronger then it would be after lasik with the same results as lasik. There's no scarring or chance for something to happen to the flap, however, until it heals you have to be careful of infection (no gym for a week, no rubbing your eyes, etc). Healing does take longer though. I got surgery Friday, went in today to get the protective contacts out and was told my eyes aren't quite ready yet. So hopefully Wednesday. My vision kind of bounces between extremely blurry/hazy to somewhat blurry/hazy right now, but when my eyes aren't blurry/hazy I can already tell my long distance vision is vastly improved. I still really hate contacts though and was REALLY fucking disappointed I couldn't get these fucks out today.

moontayle

Golden Squire
My wife did PRK and for about a month it was kind of dicey as the eyes healed. However, at the one month appointment she was cleared with 20/20 vision and from everything I hear about PRK it's only going to get better. That first week was rough. Our bedroom is pretty dark since I work nights and sleep during the day, mostly just electronic lights, but even those bothered her.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just so you guys know, both PRK and Lasik can lower the quality of vision. I did PRK and while my right eye is near perfect, my left eye has some minor issues. It's not enough to affect my daily life and most of the time I don't notice it, but there are risks of major complications. As rare as they are you have to consider them before doing eye surgery.

Honey Badger_sl

shitlord
Had PRK done, best surgery in the world ever.. even if my eyes were .005% off I would instantly have it done again. It is life changing. You are crazy not get this done, CRAZY

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had PRK done, best surgery in the world ever.. even if my eyes were .005% off I would instantly have it done again. It is life changing. You are crazy not get this done, CRAZY
I agree. The minor annoyance in my left eye is so minor I don't really notice it unless my eyes are really dry. I've had constant headaches more than half my life due to glasses.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
let me throw in my experience. Get the fucking surgery if glasses bother you even slightly. A life without them is 9000% better. I was legally blind without glasses, and now my vision is close to 20/20. Im not perfect and i'd still do it again in a heartbeat.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just want to get some basic info but is the average cost for each eye about 2k nowadays in the US?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I paid 3600, it was a 400 dollar discount for paying at once, in cash, with no insurance. Insurance was, ironically, only a 250 dollar discount.

Factor in the drugs, that brought the price up another 100 or so too.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I had Lasik done about 17 years ago now, my correction wasn't huge, I was -3.50 in both eyes. I still to this day have 20/20 vision and no haloing at night. It was the best decision I ever made and I have never once regretted it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just want to get some basic info but is the average cost for each eye about 2k nowadays in the US?
It is 100% dependent on how bad off your eyes are to begin with.

My dad barely needed glasses, and his Lasik was about $1500 per eye. I'm damn near legally blind without glasses/contacts, and I was quoted by the same place at $4000 per eye.

The problem is, most good Lasik places will guarantee their surgery for life(or at least until age 65), so if you need corrections/adjustments down the road those are free. Someone with really bad eyesight to begin with is a lot more likely to need those adjustments periodically so they are going to front-load the price assuming you'll be back several more times.

For reference, my fathers contact prescription was like -2.5 in each eye($1500 per eye), while mine is -7.75($4000 per eye)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was -2.5 in each eye, it was about 4 grand in total. No extra charges for drugs, check-ups, etc and it was fully warrantied for life. So yeah, that seems to be the going rate for a good surgeon. The ads you here about $499 per eye don't include shit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I went in for a consultation about 4-5 years ago and they recommended PRK. I was not interested in PRK due to the longer healing time. My prescription hasn't degraded that much, but, being near-sighted absolutely sucks when working in a hospital cause I can't see signs far away. I can't even read the telemetry units.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The ads you here about $499 per eye don't include shit.
I laughed my ass off the first time I saw an ad (about a decade ago I think) for bargain lasik. Much like heart surgery and penis enlargement, it just seems to be one of those things you REALLY don't want to go bargain basement on.

The Master

Bronze Squire
It depends. I remember there was one bargain LASIK place in L.A. that had the highest success rate of anyone except for the guy who all the LASIK doctors go to when they want LASIK. Why? They'd done the most procedures and had the most experience with everything. Nothing ever came up that was "I've never seen this before!"

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
A college friend had it done about 15 years ago and it never really worked out. After that I just decided to keep wearing glasses forever.

On another large forum I belong to a guy had it done and they totally screwed him. I'm not sure what the problem was. He sold everything he owned trying to get it fixed and traveling to other doctors to look at, attempt to fix it. Eventually he comitted suicide over it.

I know that's extreme cases but I'll pass.