Last Epoch

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree. An arpg can be it’s own contained experience like Grim Dawn, they don’t need to be a perpetual game/grind for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just because it's an ARPG doesn't mean it has to be another Diablo or PoE. Fuck MP, fuck trading, fuck leagues. I'll take something like Grim Dawn over something like, say, Inquisitor Martyr which could have been a great game if not for all the shoehorned in MP/league/always-online bullshit. (And yes, I know Grim Dawn has MP, but it's so poorly implemented and pointless that it might as well not exist. Hopefully LE's turns out the same, though I wish they just never wasted the dev time on it at all when the core game still needs so much work.)

Play it until you're sick of the godawful grind it turns into at the endgame, make a different character and do it all again. Or don't and just go play something else.
I'd say there's a point to MP even for a non-GaS ARPG, a lot of people like playing these games coop. Personally I don't give a shit but I can see why they put some effort into it, people will buy several boxes at once to play with their friends even if it's just the once and if you're not monetizing cosmetics and season passes and other shit like that, selling more boxes is obviously something good. I personally don't play MP but I think it likely makes financial sense to have MP in this type of game.

Like most ARPGs, including Grim Dawn, I think this will release in an "ok to meh" state and will be fixed by patches and a paid expansion down the road. Base Grim Dawn wasn't that great imo but got better with the expansions adding a bunch of content and the patches over time.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just because it's an ARPG doesn't mean it has to be another Diablo or PoE. Fuck MP, fuck trading, fuck leagues. I'll take something like Grim Dawn over something like, say, Inquisitor Martyr which could have been a great game if not for all the shoehorned in MP/league/always-online bullshit. (And yes, I know Grim Dawn has MP, but it's so poorly implemented and pointless that it might as well not exist. Hopefully LE's turns out the same, though I wish they just never wasted the dev time on it at all when the core game still needs so much work.)

Play it until you're sick of the godawful grind it turns into at the endgame, make a different character and do it all again. Or don't and just go play something else.

I just want to play with my friends :(

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I duo a LOT in arpgs with my best friend. I also know LE people have talked about trade and leagues, so my point is that they have done their development kind of wonky in taking forever to do leagues and MP. Grim Dawn I played solo though.

I’d be ok without leagues if they limited the Atlas or whatever it’s called to a character. But really same. I just want to play with my buddy.

Caeden

Chris Wilson just said this isn’t a real game.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Chris Wilson just said this isn’t a real game job.

Fixed that for you.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

My hot take is I was over trade after 3 years of PoE. I wonder how casual me would take D2 now. But I think this is probably a fine compromise. I just hope the endgame is as engaging as PoE’s. Mapping is addicting.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Chris Wilson just said this isn’t a real game.
They had me at bazaar, they lost me at "gifting".

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How finished is this in its present state? I've been holding off on the assumption that the the game is going to be different in the future, I'm unlikely to play it twice, and I want to experience the "right" version.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How finished is this in its present state? I've been holding off on the assumption that the the game is going to be different in the future, I'm unlikely to play it twice, and I want to experience the "right" version.
Well I mean the right version isn't going to be any version before 1.0 when the game actually launches. That or much later once they add expansions and what not. 0.9 is coming early next year with multiplayer(plus I guess a bunch of other shit), then 1.0 will likely follow next summer or so, so that's when you'd play it for it to be feature complete. Not too sure what's in 1.0 plans but there's really no reason to play a game pre release if you want the complete version.

• 1Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I think majority of the content is in. Definitely some major rebalancing probably between now and release etc but I don't think overall play experience will change drastically. End of the day the game is really centered around diverse end game grinding. Story/pre mono goes pretty quick and outside of a few challenging parts for people is kind of whatever.

Part of me hates that there isn't an economy especially with the great crafting system + LP that they built out, would be pretty interesting when you start getting into those lottory luck items like 4 LP items and double exalted T7 drops etc. End of the day they are making the right call, i read through their reasoning and thought about what I would do and honestly I probably would make the same call looking at all the factors. The gifting thing is a nice touch to help drive co-op, end of the day the risk vs reward of introducing a trading system into LE specifically just isn't there. Also the RMT side would be crazy when you are talking LP4 items etc.

Only other alternative that would be pretty awesome and bring back some old EQ bazaar memories is if they didn't allow gold trading. Made it straight up auction channel and negoition based trading. There isn't any dumb currency crafting stuff like POE to build around outside of Glyph of Despair's really which are pretty rare and minor impactful. That would have a fun human element and stay relatively high level as most people aren't wasting time trading meh stuff. Always interesting to do that because you get to see just how true "value is relative" is. But would still lend itself to RMT abuse just straight selling items for cash and hard to police so again...they made the right call.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've played every character to 40ish and its great. I stopped at that point waiting on release. I hate aarpgs but this one does a great job with specs and skills.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Well now I wish I never bought this game. Without some sort of auction house or trading interface this just becomes D3 since people are going to complain when they drop INT items on a STR build character and vice-versa. I don't understand how these retarded studios don't just realize that not everything needs to be tradeable; simply let people put crafting mats/supplies on an AH or trade bot and make them hunt for good bases. Fucking hell.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you still just modify the code to give yourself any item in the game? Nif so trading will be.... Interesting

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well now I wish I never bought this game. Without some sort of auction house or trading interface this just becomes D3 since people are going to complain when they drop INT items on a STR build character and vice-versa. I don't understand how these retarded studios don't just realize that not everything needs to be tradeable; simply let people put crafting mats/supplies on an AH or trade bot and make them hunt for good bases. Fucking hell.
The crafting system in this game lets you replace the INT with STR though doesn’t it? Been a while since I last played.

Caeden

????

When was this a thing?
Since launch. One of the big content creators early on got busted multiple times. I even tried to work out one build he tried before realizing it was trash without perfect items.
I think it has either been fixed or is going away with the MP patch.

• 1WTF