Lawyer costs question

Siliconemelons

Well if that $3500-$4500 is anywhere close to accurate then I guess i'ma have a warrant out for the rest of my life, lol. Maybe i'll be able to get a non-shit job that won't do a background check. That's more than it would cost me to take a month off work, fly out there, do my 10 days in jail and fly back.

Sorry old and random... but

Every place I have been, HR and Hiring managers are generally "okay" with people that have a hit on the BG check IF you tell them up front before the check and you explain the situation.

As long as it's not super bad and also not "bad" in relation to the job.

I want to be a element teacher and I have been convicted of child abuse! Yeah no.

I was arrested in red neck country for "resisting" my ticket for +1mph.... Yeah okay bro we know the feels.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It isn't that there aren't a lot of gotchas involved in deferred adjudication and probation. It's the idea that DAs/Prosecutors are standing there, twirling their mustaches like some sort of courtroom BBEG, as they try to maliciously twist the system to give people as much time as possible.

You do understand that with deferred adjudication and probation, they're opening the door to you either being able to walk away with no conviction, or a conviction but with zero jail time, right?

Of course there's issues with DefAdj/Probation, especially in certain states. But if you really believe what you're saying here, then in order for it to be an issue AT ALL, you also have to then believe that recidivism is a fucking given and that people can't fucking help themselves.

Almost every sob story I've heard about probation has people either not taking probation seriously, blowing it off, refusing to change their behaviors and getting busted for something else, or essentially being incapable of NOT violating probation. But you want to blame the DA/Prosecutor for some malign intent?
Perhaps you read my post differently than I read it as I wrote it. I didnt mean to imply is is the "only" reason. I know DAs and I know def attorneys. If you believe a DA hasnt sized up a defendant and thought "no way he can do 2 years without fucking up. He'll violate" then maybe you know different DAs than I do. This isn't tin foil hat shit. It happens. Especially in big ass metro areas.

The crux of what I was trying to say is that probation can be a much worse scenario than doing the time, especially for non-violent offenders. Most fuckups in this position will in fact fuckup their probation. If someone is looking at a short jolt in county or a couple of years probation they have to ask themselves can I not fuckup for a couple of years. If the answer is no, then do the 10 days and put it behind you.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
They aren't extraditing me for it, no. It's a misdemeanor possession charge. They haven't wanted to extradite me any time I've ever been stopped by the cops (once in Ohio cause I was walking home from the bar wasted, they gave me a ride home instead!) and 732108573028 times in Florida for "I haven't seen you around here before" or "you're probably gonna get pulled over again up the road" (cause I was walking down the sidewalk... and had like 4 miles left to get home...)
Bro how sketchy do you look IRL for Florida cops to stop you for not looking familiar. They usually only do that for black people.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Hes a meth addict...
I thought he was just a dude who lived in a trailer. Didn't know he was full blown meth head. Now I really wanna see a pic. We could make a poll and do bets on how many teeth he has.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Perhaps you read my post differently than I read it as I wrote it. I didnt mean to imply is is the "only" reason. I know DAs and I know def attorneys.

Man...in an earlier post, you prefaced what you wrote with "I'm not a lawyer...", but now you're doing a 180 and throwing out the "I know DAs and I know def attorneys"

Well, shit. Now I don't know if I should just take your post as gospel, or if I should question it. These qualifiers have me all turned around now.

If you believe a DA hasnt sized up a defendant and thought "no way he can do 2 years without fucking up. He'll violate" then maybe you know different DAs than I do. This isn't tin foil hat shit. It happens. Especially in big ass metro areas.

You say 'sized up a defendant' as if the only thing they're thinking about is whether a defendant can make it through probation, with an intent to railroad them. Which is extremely odd on a number of levels.

No offense here at all, but if that's the opinion you have, and you're basing this on "I know DAs and I know def attorneys.", then I have some bad news for you. Maybe the issue isn't with DAs and defense attorneys across the board...maybe it's just an issue with the ones you know.

Did you ever stop to consider that one reason they offer probation is that they legit think they're doing the defender a solid? That they're putting someone on a path towards treatment and recovery (especially when it's substance abuse or DWI)?

Yet you're over here with this incredibly narrow and cynical view of their motivations.

The crux of what I was trying to say is that probation can be a much worse scenario than doing the time, especially for non-violent offenders. Most fuckups in this position will in fact fuckup their probation. If someone is looking at a short jolt in county or a couple of years probation they have to ask themselves can I not fuckup for a couple of years. If the answer is no, then do the 10 days and put it behind you.

The question I'd want to ask is if the particular conditions of probation are fair. You're wanting to ask if the derps can keep themselves from derping, which might be a rhetorical question.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm not a lawyer and I am not in NC so take this into consideration. The reason probation is such a shitty deal that DAs push is that if you violate you "can" be sentenced to time equal to what's left of the probation even if the original crime would have given you a much shorter sentence. It's a way of fucking people on the assumption they will violate. So you trade your 30 day jail time for a year of probation and violate 6 months later. It is possible a judge can dunk you for 6 months in jail (the remainder of the probation).

You might want to consider calling legal aid or the public defenders office in the NC county of record before you opt to turn your self in.

Everything I read any time I've looked said that you could face the full amount of jail time for the original sentence (which is suspended for probation), not that you could serve up to the duration of probation.

You continue holding back your entire life by forcing yourself to take shit jobs because you don't want to do 10 days?? Bro...

I did a lot of stupid shit in my 20's and did the same dance you're doing right now. It sucked and the time it held me back I will never get back. Just bite the bullet dude. Make sure your rent is paid up, buy a fucking bus ticket to NC, do the fucking 10 days, and leave that jail a new man ready to move on with your life. The economy is still roaring and without that warrant hanging over your head you can start pursuing a real career.

Seriously, what do you have to lose? A fast food job?

I'm at that point now where I have enough money saved up that I can actually do this. Hasn't really been a feasible option in the past because I've never been able to get far enough ahead on savings that I could afford a couple weeks of not working (and x amount of time to get a new job afterwards).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Everything I read any time I've looked said that you could face the full amount of jail time for the original sentence (which is suspended for probation), not that you could serve up to the duration of probation.

I don't really deal with that side of it, but my understanding had always been they get a set sentence that they'll serve if they screw up their probation and that's known ahead of time.

Regardless, DA's are rarely out to get anyone. They base their actions on how serious the charges are and how strong the case is. Outside of the rare high profile case and glory seeking DA, most are just trying to clear their case load and don't give a shit about random Timmy who had a meth pipe on him.

Only time I've ever seen one act like they're out to get someone are when we've communicated to them that someone's needs to go away or when a defendant turns down a very generous deal and they just go "well fuck him then"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you have a warrant out for you how do you avoid having a cop run your plates? I got stopped for speeding when I drove about once every 6 months and they call in your plate and I got off with a warning. But still. I would think eventually you would have some interaction with someone or some agency that would check.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If you have a warrant out for you how do you avoid having a cop run your plates? I got stopped for speeding when I drove about once every 6 months and they call in your plate and I got off with a warning. But still. I would think eventually you would have some interaction with someone or some agency that would check.

They do. Every time I've gotten stopped by police for anything they make me wait around while they get in touch with NC to see if they want to extradite me for the warrant (they don't cause it's a misdemeanor possession charge and they're not gonna pay a bunch of money to take me back for that). Usually adds 15minutes or so to any given interaction.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They do. Every time I've gotten stopped by police for anything they make me wait around while they get in touch with NC to see if they want to extradite me for the warrant (they don't cause it's a misdemeanor possession charge and they're not gonna pay a bunch of money to take me back for that). Usually adds 15minutes or so to any given interaction.

Is the warrant close to where you live now?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

I'm at that point now where I have enough money saved up that I can actually do this. Hasn't really been a feasible option in the past because I've never been able to get far enough ahead on savings that I could afford a couple weeks of not working (and x amount of time to get a new job afterwards).
Why do you need to take time off work to find a new job? Stop sucking off the taxpayer teet freeloader

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Hes a meth addict...
I thought he was just a dude who lived in a trailer. Didn't know he was full blown meth head. Now I really wanna see a pic. We could make a poll and do bets on how many teeth he has.

Lol Christ guys don't scare the guy away out of embarrassment, we're like the only positive influence in his life

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Lol Christ guys don't scare the guy away out of embarrassment, we're like the only positive influence in his life
Just a lil foh tough love. Wouldn't be foh without our resident methheads, trannies, and southern crackheads ( hodj hodj )

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users