Le Football 2018/2019

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
We could sit here and dissect the past for hours and even then I doubt there would be one clear answer aside from the two best players in the world were on the two richest teams in the world and dominated.

In going forward I do think you're going to see PL teams do better in the CL due to the money they have now (assuming Brexit doesn't fuck it all up) but even then they have a couple of challenges in going forward:
1. Two domestic cup tournaments, they should stop having PL teams play in the League Cup. It's retarded, they don't value it and having it be just for the Football League would make more sense.
2. More even TV distribution, teams that should be cannon fodder for the top teams are instead able to sign very high quality players. Felipe Anderson went to West Ham, Fulham signed Seri from Nice just a year after he was about to go to Barca. I'm sure there are others I'm missing.
3. Inflexible TV schedule, the other top leagues move games around more willingly for their top teams to have more recovering time for the CL game. The PL does the opposite.
4. Growing gap in the other top leagues between the haves and have nots. This is happening in the PL as well but more slowly due to the TV distribution. Still going into this season we already know who the French, German and Italian champions are going to be barring a miracle. Barca may also walk their league as well depending on what RM do. That's a lot of games that are meaningless to where everything can be done toward solely focusing on the CL game. That's just not possible in the PL to anywhere near the same degree.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean stuck with it for four years and a half ? I'm a bit sad that Deschamps will keep coaching the french team at least until euro 2020. Sure, he can do the job and have a good chance at winning it, but Zidane would probably polish that team and look less ugly.

let's compromise, in two years it'll be called "Fußball 2020/21" until the next world cup.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
We’re forgetting about the Women’s World Cup in France next year. The soccer is coming home 19/20? 😁

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
let's compromise, in two years it'll be called "Fußball 2020/21" until the next world cup.
Yeah, well I guess it could happen. Hope keeps people alive !
We’re forgetting about the Women’s World Cup in France next year. The soccer is coming home 19/20? 😁
I don't follow that at all, except that the OL won the 3 last women CL, with a mostly french team. Sounds like something France will win as well !

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm a little confused about Liverpool going after Shaqiri. Sure, his buyout was low for today's standards, like 13.5m € but I just don't see where he fits into the team. He plays the same positions as Mane/Salah so yeah....hope he likes the bench.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm a little confused about Liverpool going after Shaqiri. Sure, his buyout was low for today's standards, like 13.5m € but I just don't see where he fits into the team. He plays the same positions as Mane/Salah so yeah....hope he likes the bench.

Salah went off injured in the CL final, and was replaced by Adam Lallana who was injured all season, unfit and not a like for like replacement. If LFC had brought on Shaqiri instead of Lallana then the system/tactics would not need to change so much.

Mourinho in his first spell at Chelsea used to say you needed 2 quality players for each position. So yes, he was signed to provide cover and to rotate so other players can be rested.

At one stage last season LFC were down to two fit central midfielders, hence having to play TAA in midfield

faille

Molten Core Raider
Our team is probably the strongest its been in a long long time. There's no obvious areas I think we need improvement on. Maybe a good DM. All we need now is depth and cover for most of our positions.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Are you saying you don't rate Fabinho as a DM or did you just forget LFC signed him?

It's somewhat funny to hear all the cry arsing about the amount of money LFC has spent but ManC and ManU can still spend more than us. Just because they choose not to do so in one window doesn't all of a sudden change anything in that regards and with 3 weeks still to go they just might.

faille

Molten Core Raider
More I haven't seen him in action, nor how he'll adapt to the premier league. I also didn't really he was a pure dm. Thought he was more of a box to box like Henderson

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Henderson hasn't been a box to box midfielder in years, maybe since Klopp arrived. Fabinho is definitely a DM though Klopp was commenting after the last friendly in that he doesn't want Fabinho to always drop so deep so maybe he wants him to play more like an 8? Otherwise will Fabinho unseat Henderson as the 6? For the amount of money we spent you'd figure he's a locked on starter but then that kind of leaves out Henderson who is the captain. Will they play together? It seems overly negative and would push Keita more forward which would seem not ideal. Guess we'll see. With the amount of games we should have this year they'll both play regardless.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Brando why are you so argumentative? Its like you cant just have discourse with someone, or respect another mans opinion, we get it, you watch football and are knowledgeable. Congrats, really.

Liverpool's golden chance was this past CL final. But Ramos ruined their chance at glory and Salah's magical run was over in an instant. I dont see how they will be better this season. Maybe they will be stronger in the Prem, but reaching a second consecutive CL final will be a TALL task.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Jozu why are you always talking in absolutes as if your opinion is a complete fact? It's like you can't handle that someone would disagree with you. We get it, you love Ronaldo and would have his babies. Congrats, really.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mesut Özil retires from German team in the fallout of his dictator-loving shitposting at age 29. His "reason": Racism.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, we tried to buy him two years ago and would probably still buy him. He played well today.