Le Football 2018/2019

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Allow me to start with a meme :
DiNMpJ-WkAAzwa-.jpg

"I'll take the 10, penalties, your sister. And go get me a sandwich".

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Premier League August 10th
La Liga / Serie A August 19th
Bundesliga August 24th

drawing of Champions league groups August 30th

first CL group stage games September 18th-19th.

CL finals in Madrid June 1st.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think the biggest thing that a lot of people aren't thinking about yet is that the EPL changed their transfer window to now end the day before the season starts, so it's August 9th this year. You're going to see some pretty unprepared EPL teams getting burned by this as well as some teams in the other top leagues take advantage without an English team being able to bid for a player.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

I think the biggest thing that a lot of people aren't thinking about yet is that the EPL changed their transfer window to now end the day before the season starts, so it's August 9th this year. You're going to see some pretty unprepared EPL teams getting burned by this as well as some teams in the other top leagues take advantage without an English team being able to bid for a player.
Football is England favourite sport, right behind shooting themselves in the foot.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grekko

Trakanon Raider
Courtois, Hazard to RM
Will Navas stay? goalkeeping coach for RM(Luis Llopis) has left to Real Sociedad. Apparently, only Zidane and he were the reason Navas was still on the team.
James? Returning to RM or Bayern gonna pay?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of Bayern (i.e. everyone but Rummenigge) insist on no major purchase this year.

Speaking of Bayern, Lewandowski estimated market value is now on the way down. Better put a price tag on him and send him packing!

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
This is interesting, so after the 9th the rest of europe can get players from EPL but they won't be able to replace those until the next transfer window.
Do EPL players have buy out clauses?

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
this thread title triggers me. Don't tell me we're stuck with it for an entire season?

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Gurgeh Gurgeh any suggestion on an EPL team? I want to be as annoying as possible to Ossoi and Bubbles.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
This is interesting, so after the 9th the rest of europe can get players from EPL but they won't be able to replace those until the next transfer window.

Yes, after the 9th no EPL team can add players. They can still sell or loan them though to the other leagues up until the 30/31st. No EPL players do not have legally binding buy out clauses such as in Spain or Germany sans in cases of relegation.

Gurgeh Gurgeh any suggestion on an EPL team? I want to be as annoying as possible to Ossoi and Bubbles.

I used to do a write-up going over the top 6 EPL teams and why you would want to support them as a new fan. I can do that again, not sure Gurgeh follows EPL that closely as he's stating he's a PSG fan. Ossoi is an LFC fan like a lot of the posters here though. Biggest rival is Manchester United if you want to troll us. Though I have to warn you unless something changes drastically they're a pretty terrible team to watch with the way they play. Depending on your time zone I sure as shit would not get up most mornings to watch them play unless I wanted to go back to bed right away.

• 1Solidarity

Gurgeh

this thread title triggers me. Don't tell me we're stuck with it for an entire season?
You mean stuck with it for four years and a half ? I'm a bit sad that Deschamps will keep coaching the french team at least until euro 2020. Sure, he can do the job and have a good chance at winning it, but Zidane would probably polish that team and look less ugly.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Yeah as Brando stated, I'm not much into EPL, they aren't likely candidate to win the CL, teams seem to be solely focused on the EPL. You'd think English teams would be better as they have a truckload of money, but they're forced to spend it on british players, so I guess : suck to be them. I feel like following Barca or Madrid is just more fun if you're to follow a foreign team. I'm a bit curious to see what RM will look like next year.

That being said, if I were an englishman, I'd probably not care much about anything but the EPL either, it's the most lively league with the most passionnate supporters, it's just that if you're outside the UK and can't go see the games and then to a pub, EPL just lose all its savour.

• 1Solidarity

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah as Brando stated, I'm not much into EPL, they aren't likely candidate to win the CL, teams seem to be solely focused on the EPL. You'd think English teams would be better as they have a truckload of money, but they're forced to spend it on british players, so I guess : suck to be them. I feel like following Barca or Madrid is just more fun if you're to follow a foreign team. I'm a bit curious to see what RM will look like next year.

That being said, if I were an englishman, I'd probably not care much about anything but the EPL either, it's the most lively league with the most passionnate supporters, it's just that if you're outside the UK and can't go see the games and then to a pub, EPL just lose all its savour.

I think CL dominance is cyclical in looking at the history of who has won it. The 90's are a bit weird after AC Milan's dominance with some really random winners but overall it seems to go in 7-10 year cycles between the major leagues on who dominates sans Ajax or teams from other smaller leagues who will probably never come back to that level. The PL dominated for most of the early to mid 2000's with the continental teams then taking over after that. With that said LFC did just make the final and I'd say all four of the PL teams will be expected to make the round of 16 at minimum with ManC probably a betting favorite again for the whole thing. You only need 6 homegrown players out of the 23 man squad so while getting the Brit players to meet that can be expensive that's only so if you want them to be starters.

The other thing is that PL teams do have supporters clubs in most major American cities which are tied to local bars which will open for their games. The one here in LA for LFC will open at 430am for games during the weekend with at times well over 100 people there singing the songs and getting hammered. I'm getting to old for that now and mainly watch the games at home but it's an awesome way to start your weekend :)

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Big Weng is gone, and now so are the Ivan Gazidis/Silent Stan excuses. I hope Arsenal performs better this season, and think they will - but continue to believe it will only paper over cracks that had nothing to do with Wenger.

Prediction Time:

Think City will repeat as champions, but not comfortably. Hard to predict the next 4 teams, but think Spurs are due for a poor year and think their lack of xfer activity will bite them. Still time for them to reinforce mind...

Think PEA will score a feck load of goals this season, and could be in the running for POY. He's a great talent and will have a fairly rested squad behind him (Arsenal was so bad this season, almost none of the guys even made it Russia). Excited to see Torreira in the EPL, and think he could be quality.

Think Chelsea, if they are indeed losing Courtois could be in some trouble. Don't think Madrid can afford Hazard, but wouldn't be surprised to see him leave with Courtois. New manager though could energize them. Think City/United/Chelsea could all start the season quite slow - they all had big players playing late into the World Cup, and there is no question the lack of rest/time off could affect the beginning of the league campaign. If Arsenal has any hope to get back into top 4 this season, the first month should show a lot.

Gurgeh

With that said LFC did just make the final and I'd say all four of the PL teams will be expected to make the round of 16 at minimum with ManC probably a betting favorite again for the whole thing.

I can see ManC being the favorite this year, last year, no way. With RM being a whole new team and Messi not getting any younger, we might see a non-spanish team win this year. The PSG might even have a shot at it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Not a requirement as in Spain. Some players might be able to negotiate one but it's rare - Emre Can left Liverpool for free to Juventus as LFC wouldn't let him have a release clause

Gurgeh

This is Razzes level "new to football" nonsense
Well then you'll explain the EPL having half the top 10 and top 20 richest team in Europe and one CL in 10 years... The likelyhood of that happening is about 1% (assuming there's a 50% chance of an EPL team winning), and if you look at the last 25 years, it's even worse, 4 out of 25, the likelyhood is pretty much 0. So EPL teams are doing far worse in CL than they should, my explanation is that they don't care, CL has a lower priority than EPL.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Well then you'll explain the EPL having half the top 10 and top 20 richest team in Europe and one CL in 10 years... The likelyhood of that happening is about 1% (assuming there's a 50% chance of an EPL team winning)

Liverpool made it to final in Klopps first attempt

The notion that EPL teams/fans only care about EPL is nonsense, Liverpool have won CL 5x

Yours,

Someone who went to a CL semi final in April

Gurgeh

Liverpool made it to final in Klopps first attempt

The notion that EPL teams/fans only care about EPL is nonsense, Liverpool have won CL 5x

Yours,

Someone who went to a CL semi final in April
Your take is that you went to see a semi last year so everything must be fine. Alright.