League Of Legends

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
My biggest ass whooping yet with him and all 3 of the games I've gotten to play him so far. That is me in plat 4. He doesn't have hard cc, but you're insane not to build botrk so you do get the clicky slow. That is more than enough to secure an early gank. I've been doing it Saintvicious style with a long sword 2 pot start so you get bilgewater early. Tried the trinity in that last game. I was so fed it was hard to tell if it was helping more than any other item would.

True damage is OP, it always is, and they always struggle to balance it. I think that botrk + all defense is a fine way to play it (probably ideal), but I was fed in all of those games so I kept going damage early. I think Yi Is pretty OP in its current state.

rrr_img_38717.jpg
rrr_img_38718.jpg

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
haha, the enemy vayne(strikelol) is a friend of mine. Ouch.

edit: just saw support fidd with no sightstone. ouch x2

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
well, sorry to be the post-game picture guy. Just won a straight up, pillar-to-post (ok, 8 cs and one death ragequit caitlyn) 4 v 5. Got a pentakill, too. I am jacked the fuck up after that game. 15 league points for that....

This was mid yi. Having easy access to cs probably makes it a better option than jungle.

rrr_img_38727.jpg

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea.. if you can get a decent lane matchup, I think lane Yi is pretty ridiculous after lvl 6. I did a normal game jungling with him, and quite honestly failed multiple times in the early game (died to golems, fail gank, etc..) and then just hyper carried the game after some lanes started roaming and I could just go into super farm mode for a few minutes. Farm jungle, clear a big wave top, back to jungle, clear big wave mid, rinse repeat. Jumped up to highest CS on the team by 50+ at 25 minutes and started stringing double kills into triple kills, into our team acing them multiple times. Ended up like 17-6-20, after starting 0/3/2.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah, I just played Yi and got my first pentakill. I went straight damage... went top vs. shen, was doing alright, but we were losing. We lost our bot and mid inhibs, and then in one fight they didn't focus me and all of the sudden everyone was dead. I'm not sure what happened, I just hit Q and then Vayne was down from 100% to like less than 10% health, then I auto attacked and my static shiv went off, taking me from like 40% health to full again because of bloodthirster. Then Vayne died, and then everyone else just went poof and I had a penta. Then we won the game. Enemy team was so butthurt that I got a penta and turned their certain victory into quick defeat, and I don't blame them.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a definite buff to AD Yi compared to before, yea. He's probably as good a pub stomper as ever but he basically fills the same slot as Trynd/Aatrox and is less reliable at it, so I wouldn't expect to see him that much once people just start picking CC champs all over the place again.

Edit: I dunno where people are getting Alpha doing on-hits from. It doesn't even apply the extra damage from his E active, which is on-hit. I'll go test it with a sheen quick but it didn't do that on PBE either pre release.

Yep doesn't even apply sheen, have the sheen proc ready when it finishes. Doesn't lifesteal either. People are just pasting Fiora's ult on to it or something in their heads~

sebur

Bronze Squire
I think people are reading that Alpha can crit (and thinking of it like Fiora's ult as you pointed out) and are running wild with it. That is the only thing that I can think of. It is a definite buff but you can certainly lock him down quite easily with hard CC and then he explodes. Has anybody tried a minimum damage/tanky build (like BOTRK/LW, then rest tanky)? I am curious as to how that type of build would work out, if at all. I currently build him glass cannon.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've been a pretty avid yi player since I started lol. I have in the thousands of games with him, with at least 5-700 of them ranked specifically on the 3 accounts I play ranked with. I've played a ton of ranked yi in the 1500-1800 elo range. I've played AP, hybrid (best split pushing yi), tanky, AD and on-hit yi (in previous seasons.) Its sad to see most of these removed, to have yi converted into only having one decent build. He's essentially Irelia atm, and I think you'll see a lot of people convert their builds into similar stuff. Fairly tanky, a bit of attack speed.

So is he overpowered? No, but his kit is hard to deal with the lower your opponents elo is. Higher elo teams are usually very good about isolating and destroying squishy targets, and for the same reason irelia doesn't see much competitive play, I doubt yi will get much either. He'll be the sort of pick someone can keep up their sleeve for specific situations, but he is still far too vulnerable to cc to be used in most tournament situations I believe. Perhaps some team will mess up picks and leave themselves vulnerable to a yi (Picking too many characters with slows for cc ect), but I think he just won't be competitive as is.

That said, He's horrible for low elo people to deal with. The same way Akali was such a problem for low elo players, yi will present the same issues. Lower elo people just aren't as good at targeting out and eliminating squishy dps threats, and using proper positioning and spacing to punish that sort of play. Because of that, I think you'll see Yi doing just fine in lower elo, but never really becoming anything but a novelty in higher play. His changes pretty much just kept his position in power about the same, but made his play style far more predictable.

sebur

Bronze Squire
That is along the lines of what I was thinking which is why I was debating builds in the first place. Good info. Thanks.

I've had some success with him, but I wouldn't consider him broken because he still has team fighting issues unless you can sneak in after the engage. I like playing him mid and rushing BotRK in to a Randuins or if against double ap an SV. After that I've tried last whisper and IE. Still need to try black cleaver and ghostblade. I don't really think he needs more then two offensive items though so yah old Irelia light I guess would be a good description. His sweet spot seems to be mid game where literally nobody can 1v1 him if you have the BotRK and defensive item. Depends on you convincing your team to either group with you and team fight or for them to be competent at allowing you to split push. My scores have been good at 8-18 kills with minimal deaths in the five games I've played him since the rework but I've only won two out of the five... so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh yea it did the same to me after I started playing ranked again. I decayed all the way from silver 1 down to 5, won 3 games and a promo series and was back in silver 2 instantly.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
My biggest ass whooping yet with him and all 3 of the games I've gotten to play him so far. That is me in plat 4. He doesn't have hard cc, but you're insane not to build botrk so you do get the clicky slow. That is more than enough to secure an early gank. I've been doing it Saintvicious style with a long sword 2 pot start so you get bilgewater early. Tried the trinity in that last game. I was so fed it was hard to tell if it was helping more than any other item would.

True damage is OP, it always is, and they always struggle to balance it. I think that botrk + all defense is a fine way to play it (probably ideal), but I was fed in all of those games so I kept going damage early. I think Yi Is pretty OP in its current state.

rrr_img_38717.jpg
rrr_img_38718.jpg
How soon are you building BoTRK for an "early" gank? And you clearly didn't donate kills to lanes which is what I was talking about.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Fucking Yi is awesome.

Jungle build:
Looking at build orders with a non-fed game, normal pacing.
Mache 5pot -> Lizard Blade
Cutlass
Shiv
BORK
.. etc.

However, maybe Rush Bork/Boots then go Shiv?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I played a jungle yi earlier. Went bork first, longsword 2 pots start. Early jungle was a bit slow, had to recall at lvl 3 to heal, waited like 10 seconds in shop to finish my vamp sceptor. Went back in to the jungle and it was easy sailing from then on. Our janna disconnected pretty earlier but caitlyn held up nice on her own on the bot. We steamrolled the game even 4v5 as Yi, Cait, Kennen, Jayce. This just 1 game tho, and like I said it was a steamroll even 4v5 so things could easily not work out so well like this too.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fucking Yi is awesome.

Jungle build:
Looking at build orders with a non-fed game, normal pacing.
Mache 5pot -> Lizard Blade
Cutlass
Shiv
BORK
.. etc.

However, maybe Rush Bork/Boots then go Shiv?
I only really play Yi in lane so I'm not totally 100% on this, but I would think it's never worth it to build Lizard Elder on Yi. The only stat it gives that he cares about (AD) is low for 2000 gold, he clears jungle insanely fast anyway, and the passive true damage doesn't really scale with his playstyle (Attack often and hard, also Q).

Either build a Wriggle's with it (for offense), Ancient Golem (defense), or sell the machete (probably what I'd do after a while). I prefer PD over Shiv in lane as well because ignoring collision with ult on makes all the difference a lot of times, Avarice seems like a good item for getting gold in the jungle though so there is that. You don't really need to rush BOTRK since Cutlass is cheap and has nearly as good a slow on it, upgrading it to BOTRK is pretty expensive.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally!

Was about my 3rd promotion series from Gold 1. I was actually down 0-2. Played TF 1 game and Kennen 1 game. My kennen game was like 10-3-10 or something and we lose where my TF game was like 6-6-10 or so. Then I played a leona game where we crushed, then I did back-to-back Shaco jungle games. First game was against a Jax jungle, did my Red > Blue > Counter jungle at enemy red, killed jax, got very far ahead and we crushed that game very hard because I got dragon at about the 5 minute mark and every lane was winning. Next game it was against Elise Jungle and I did the same thing. Got first blood at enemy red, ganked top immediately after and we got another kill, then went mid, we got another kill. Zyra was middle and went up like 6-1 but then started to feed pretty hard. Eventually once I got Sunfire I told my team to group up because I could 1v1 anyone on the enemy team. I was pushing bot, lured 4 of them bot, team killed the one mid, got mid tower and inhib and picked off another 2 guys. Ended up getting bot inhib because they all left and went back towards mid. I had the most CS out of everybody. Split push shaco is amazing.

It's funny because I think I was undefeated until I got to promotion series and then I'd bust out 0-3 or 1-3. This last series I was 0-2 and was like fuck this....but came back and won 3 in a row. (I was also playing on a 3g connection so I had between 150-200 ping and was still doing well as shaco. God damn I love this champion, especially if my team listens and groups up mid to end game.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
How soon are you building BoTRK for an "early" gank? And you clearly didn't donate kills to lanes which is what I was talking about.
As early as I can make 600 gold? Which is 400 gold earlier than if you start with machette/5 pot.

I had no intention of responding to anyone's comment regarding "donating" kills to lane, but if anyone is "donating" kills to lane as master yi, they are making a mistake.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So I compared playing Shaco Jungle to Yi jungle. Huge difference. I just don't know how to play Shaco yet I guess. However, in my game mid lane fed a Katarina like 5-0-1 in under 10 minutes so she just started roaming and shitting on everyone so I'm not sure if I can appropriate judge that game.

My Yi games are fantastic though, I'm still dying way too many time because I'm still used to play bruiser/tanks and I really need to get used to the squishiness of Yi. Or I just start feeling beastly and I couldn't really go 3v1 and win. Heh.

That and my mana issues mid game sometimes get troublesome. I have to learn when and when not to use abilities.

But I really want to learn Shaco, I haven't been able to get a game where I could get some early ganks to get some early gold. Is he still build like machete/5 then boots/shiv/cutlass (or hydra)?