League Of Legends

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Need to be level 20+ for tier 3 though. Basically instead of saving IP till lvl 20 I was telling him to go ahead and load up on tier 1 and 2 now. Once 20+ then I agree, try to complete full pages of tier 3 runes. Armor yellows are probably the best bet since they help everywhere but health yellows are also really good.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Thanks, mostly just want to get better and get to level 30 so the next time I have a lan party I don't get destroyed by all the other people. I don't mind the losing but I want to try to be somewhat competitive. My co-worker uses Sion mostly and it didn't matter which champion I tried against him at the last one, I couldn't score one kill.

No real interest in putting in cash or playing ranked, just need to grind to 30 and get a champion that can dismantle Sion.
I'm a lowly bronzie but I have zero issues with Sion as Quinn top.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly if you aren't planning on doing ranked or a lot of solo play in general you can save your IP, stick with tier 2 runes (now that they aren't pointless) and just spend IP on champs you like.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Honestly if you aren't planning on doing ranked or a lot of solo play in general you can save your IP, stick with tier 2 runes (now that they aren't pointless) and just spend IP on champs you like.
What!? No. That's terrible advice. Tier 3 runes should be your first purchase once they are available. At least enough so that you have AP/AD/Support pages. You can play free champs til you find one you really like and buy that one if need be, but not having runes is shooting yourself in the foot.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What!? No. That's terrible advice. Tier 3 runes should be your first purchase once they are available. At least enough so that you have AP/AD/Support pages. You can play free champs til you find one you really like and buy that one if need be, but not having runes is shooting yourself in the foot.
Reading about runes it seems like going with T3 and trying to keep it generic they recommend 9x armor pen, 9x magic pen, 9x seal of armor, 9x glyph magic resist and then 3x of +gold or life steal quint would be the cheapest way to get 2 full setups. Does that sound right? Is armor and magic pen really better than AD and AP?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The stat difference between T2 and T3 is only going to make a difference if things are already really close. If you're just planning on playing with friends casually at LAN parties why the fuck would you waste 30,000 IP on T3? More fun to just be able to play more champs.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Reading about runes it seems like going with T3 and trying to keep it generic they recommend 9x armor pen, 9x magic pen, 9x seal of armor, 9x glyph magic resist and then 3x of +gold or life steal quint would be the cheapest way to get 2 full setups. Does that sound right? Is armor and magic pen really better than AD and AP?
Everything is semi right except the quints. Nobody uses the +gold quints.

To answer you question though around pen it is a tricky situation and really depends on the champ you are playing. A good generic page though for AP would be (aside from the blue/yellows you mentioned) would be mpen reds with AP quints. As far as AD is concerned it would be atk dmg reds with atk spd quints. I am not sure from a pricing stand point which is cheaper (the life steal ones or what not) but if you want a decent generic page I would suggest what I mentioned.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The stat difference between T2 and T3 is only going to make a difference if things are already really close. If you're just planning on playing with friends casually at LAN parties why the fuck would you waste 30,000 IP on T3? More fun to just be able to play more champs.
If you are not playing ranked you'll have the opportunity to play every champ in the game without spending any IP

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

To answer you question though around pen it is a tricky situation and really depends on the champ you are playing. A good generic page though for AP would be (aside from the blue/yellows you mentioned) would be mpen reds with AP quints. As far as AD is concerned it would be atk dmg reds with atk spd quints. I am not sure from a pricing stand point which is cheaper (the life steal ones or what not) but if you want a decent generic page I would suggest what I mentioned.
To add onto this, +AD runes help players a lot with last-hitting early on. Increases the window a surprising amount.

Edit:
If you are not playing ranked you'll have the opportunity to play every champ in the game without spending any IP
Sure, if you are playing free champs and playing all the time. If you're playing a limited amount of times spread over greater timelines you may as well have more champs you like permanently unlocked so you can play what you want when you want to. With 120 champs the chances of the champs you want being free any given week are not great.

Buying T3 runes is a must if you're going to play regularly. Otherwise the difference between T2-T3 truly do not matter. Even at mid-high gold ranked I got by with a mix of T1/T3 runes (mostly T1) on my alt with no appreciable difference in effect compared to my main (although if I was a jungler I would have prioritized runes for sure)

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
I think the point is with 120 champs on free rotation, play those and find ones you like and buy runes that will help 100% of your games. If you don't know who/what you like, why waste the ip to unlock a champ?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Thanks. Does Attack Speed help AP'ers as well as AD'ers? And could you explain why not many builds use the 3 points into movement speed in the utility tree? I would think that would be mandatory for everybody.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
AP doesn't want attack speed. There might be some fringe builds, but it should be low on the list.
I have always liked movement speed, but the mana does help with sustain. But this is a copy/paste game for the most part. Usually foe the better, but not always.
Examples: I was looking for vlad builds on probuilds. I found a Korean build (nagne I think?) that decided he too liked mana regen as a mastery...
During the 1v1 tournament in Korea, multiple players would repeatedly have the "increases damage of teammates" mastery and the "health & mana regained when killing an opponent" mastery. Both 100% useless for this 1v1 first blood tournament.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If you like the game, buy IP boosts and buy rune pages. I've gotten hundreds and hundreds of hours out of LoL over years; if you invest $50 into boosts and a rune page pack you're absolutely guaranteed to make good on that investment.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There used to be five dollar gift card things that came with a one week exp boost, one day IP boost, Garen, Yi, Ashe, Annie, Ryze, and a Yi skin.

edit -http://www.bestbuy.com/site/riot-lea...skuId=6668017#

rrr_img_92555.jpg

Worth the buckos.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Yea in a game like this, chipping Riot some money every few weeks goes a long way. Especially for a new account that will likely want to play random champs and google random guides that suggest runes you don't have quite frequently. It's by no means necessary; you'll be "skill-capped" for months... but if you can afford to treat LoL like an MMO and pay $15/mo then A) you'll get to unlock a lot more goodies and B) you'll definitely get MMO-esque playtime out of it.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing that bothers me is the equipment setups seem to be locally cached. I have two different computers I play on and it doesn't want to load the equipment on the other pc.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Don't buy gold quints. Don't buy 3 lifesteal quints. I would also suggest getting Hybrid pen marks in place of both magic/armor pen marks because honestly they are just better in most cases(autos make up a ton of damage trading early and hybrid helps with that even on mages) and you have limited rune pages right now. If you want to jungle or adc at all go ahead and buy 3 attack speed quints, those will even help you with laning as far as last hitting and are very gold efficient. For reds buy AD first, even over the penetration I would think. AD on someone with long auto ranges is still useful, it helps with last hitting, and again your typical jungler/ADC page is going to have those AS quints and AD reds 90% of the time. Lifesteal got nerfed hard, I don't think it is worth it on anyone anymore. Movespeed is my favorite setup as a jungler but it's a niche investment so wait on those.