Legend of Grimrock 2

Disp_sl

shitlord
Didn't know this game was even in the works, but got an email about it this morning, and it's coming out in less than a month (Oct. 15).

Can pre-order for 15% offbuy Legend of Grimrock. First game was awesome, and so far the trailer looks great too. Can't wait.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I really enjoyed the first. I'll probably pick this up when it goes super-cheap on a Steam sale or something. I have way too much shit to play right now.

Caliane

knew it was in the works. but woah at the soon release date out of nowhere. they've been quiet about it.

yeah, Ill be grabbing this preorder.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This is tile/turn-based combat right? Like Might & Magic? Heard good things about the first but never played it, loved the last Might & Magic that came out earlier this year.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's tile-based, but the combat is real-time'ish. You can get killed if you just stand around.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's a bit different than the last Might and Magic X that was released, combat felt a bit closer to a FPS of some sort, you could play it kinda actiony, where you attack then walk back before the enemy attack and keep repeating to kite them. Attacks are weird too in the sense they're based on you clicking the weapons, but if you click all 4 chars weapons fast you do all your attacks super fast then you can move to dodge. I'd recommend grabbing first, though it might not be on sale before the 2nd one hits. It's very low tier in terms of graphics and shit but the game is amazing otherwise. For the 2nd one you can tell they made money cause damn it looks good, looking forward to this.

I think we had a thread about it, but maybe not. Definitely preordered, it's the kind of game I don't see myself being disapointed because it'd be hard to make a really shitty game in the same vein.

Caliane

yeah. Similar to Might and magic x.

However, some differences, specifically Grimrock 1. I have not read into grimrock 2's changes yet.
Grimrock 1.
A single dungeon. no overland, no towns. you have torchs and food. Survive by going deeper.
Movement is tile based, but combat is real time. As noted. stand there, and you will get killed. Monsters can and will walk up behind you, while you are fighting another pack.
Direction and position matter. There is a front line, back line and sides. Tanks in the front line. Back line mages, etc.. but if you get attack from the side or behind, your softies might be taking the hits.
MUCH much much greater emphasis on puzzles, and mazelike dungeons.
Spells are entered manually via a rune system.

Grimrock 2 features. Quick look without having really kept up.
There IS an overland now, is the most notable thing I see.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Day fucking 1. Even the first Grimrock is a better game than M&M10, and from what I've seen LoG2 is going to be a lot more expansive and improved over the first LoG.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed grimrock 1, and feel I got my moneys worth, but felt the game was kind of short. The whole thing was what, 4-6 hours long or something? Will likely grab 2 as well, but here's to hoping it's a full 40+ hour rpg sequel.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed grimrock 1, and feel I got my moneys worth, but felt the game was kind of short. The whole thing was what, 4-6 hours long or something? Will likely grab 2 as well, but here's to hoping it's a full 40+ hour rpg sequel.
Hmm I don't remember exactly, but pretty sure it was more like 15hours or so. Which is still short but it was a low budget game for a low price, so I didn't expect that much anyway and it was very enjoyable. I replayed the game once or twice too so that added value. I assume the 2nd one will have a much larger world to explore just based on the trailer and the amount of environements and shit. Might not be 100hours long still, but should be decent enough.

Northerner

N00b
Loved the first one (as I did Legacy and Divinity for that matter) and am more than willing to pay up for the title. Hell, I got the initial offering for something like $5 so I almost feel like I owe them a bit more.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I should probably finish the first one, It was good and all but I lost interest few floors in.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I liked G1 but could never play it too much. It is one of only two games that have spiders in them that have been realistic enough to turn my arachnophobia to 11. The other one was Skyrim, but thank god for the arachnophobia mod in that game. Will have to check out if there is a similar mod to G1 at some stage. Had it not had spiders in it I would have played it to bits!

Caliane

haha.

But really, it does drive me nuts that video games have the same monsters over and over. oh, look. giant spiders. Zombies. Wolves.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They made a blog update about races/classes, keeping one class hidden until release atCharacter classes and races revealed Legend of Grimrock

Copy pasta for people with terrible internet fascists limitations:
Only two days left before Legend of Grimrock 2 lauches, so we figured it would be a great time to reveal the various character creation options now, so that you can start planning for your ultimate adventuring party.

The first thing to choose is your race. The races are:

Human: Humans are very adaptable and can excel in all professions. Humans gain experience points 10% faster.

Minotaur: Minotaurs are bulky, simple and quick to anger. Their incredible stubborness is tolerated by others only because of their incredible prowess in combat. Minotaurs have the following modifiers to attributes: Strength +5, Dexterity -4, Vitality +4, Willpower -3. Minotaurs are always hungry and their food consumption rate is 25% higher than normal.

Lizardman: Lizardmen are a social outcast and are mistrusted by other races because of their capricious and deceitful nature. What they lack in social skills they greatly make up for in stealth and dexterity. Lizardmen have Dexterity +2 and Willpower -2. In addition their thick scales protect them from the elements (Resist All +25%).

Insectoid: Insectoid's thoughts are completely alien to other races. Insectoids come in many shapes and sizes but most often their bodies are covered with a thick shell. Their knowledge of the arcane is unrivaled. Insectoids have Strength +1, Dexterity -2, Vitality -1 and Willpower +2. In addition their hard shell protects them from being wounded (-50% chance of getting a body part injured).

Ratling: Ratlings may seem weak and disease ridden on the surface, but they are actually one of the most adaptable and hardy creatures in the world. Ratlings are hoarders by nature (Max Load +15kg) and greatly enjoy fiddling with mechanical contraptions. Ratlings have Strength -4, Dexterity +2 and Evasion +2. Ratlings are immune to effects of diseases.

Each race has special traits that can be chosen in character creation. For example, some Lizardmen have Fast Metabolism which makes them regenerate health and energy 30% faster while some Lizardmen have even thicker scales which makes them very protected against elemental damage (additional +25% bonus to resistances).

Classes in Grimrock 2 are more flexible than in Grimrock 1. The classes give the characters a starting point and nudge towards a path without forcing it upon them. Every class can advance in the 16 available skills as they like. For example, nothing is stopping your Fighter to learn some magic as long as you advance your Fighter in the spell casting skills.

The classes determine your character's health and energy and special abilities. The classes are:

Alchemist: Alchemists are the masters of potion brewing. Herbs automatically grow in the alchemist's inventory during his journey on the island. Alchemists are also proficient with firearms (firearms have 50% less chance to malfunction).

Barbarian: Barbarians do not care about finesse in combat. Instead they rely on raw power and speed. Barbarians Strength is increased by 1 for every level they gain. Barbarians start with the largest amount of health points of all classes and their health grows rapidly as they gain levels.

Battle Mage: Battle Mages are comfortable with fighting in the front row as well as blasting with spells from the back row. They gain moderate amount of health and energy at 1st level. Like Wizards they are natural spellcasters and can cast spells with their bare hands. In addition, when a Battle Mage is equipped with a staff they gain bonuses to their defense.

Fighter: Fighters are masters of close combat. They are great at using special attacks of melee weapons (special attacks with melee weapons take half the time to build up and cost 25% less energy).

Knight: Knights believe that good preparation is the key to triumph in combat. Knight's Protection value increase by 1 point per level and they are masters of using armor (weight of equipped armor is reduced by 50% and Evasion bonus of equipped shields is increased by 50%).

Rogue: Rogues are stealthy warrior who usually fight with ranged weapons or light melee weapons. When dual wielding they suffer only 25% penalty to weapon damage (normally 40%). Also their chance of scoring a critical hit with missile or throwing weapons is increased by 1% per level.

Wizard: Wizards are natural spellcasters who can cast spells with bare hands. For added effect they sometimes use enchanted staves and orbs to enhance their spellcasting abilities. Wizards have low health but high energy. They also get +2 bonus to their Willpower.

In addition there is a secret eighth class. You have to wait until Wednesday to find out yourself what it is. It is meant for advanced players and changes a core aspect of the game in a radical way.

Your character can also be customized by picking two traits and leveling up two skills of your choise (three if you have the Skilled trait). You can also pick your portrait from the 48 beautiful portraits available. If you can't make up your mind about some aspect of character creation you can also let the fate decide: name, race, class, attribute scores, skills and traits can all be randomized if you so prefer. Oh, the random name generator has been updated. Say hello to Vaedar Dragonchild and Gamzam Fellsinger!

There you have it in a nutshell. What kind of adventuring party will you make?

Big question is will you be able to keybind attacks? The first game was 5/10 without auto-hotkey and 9/10 with it.

Imagine WoW without being able to hotkey anything, manually clicking icons only, and you get the picture.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Cant wait

Legend of Grimrock II Review | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Everything in this sequel is bigger, more elaborate, more detailed, and absolutely better. Which, after such a lovely first game, is quite the thing. You will be able to sink days and days into this, and still come away with secrets undiscovered, doors unopened. And I think a real respect for a game that is not only itself phenomenally smart, but one that thinks you are too. It's a joy, so splendidly crafted, so stuffed with original ideas and surprises. This isn't nostalgia any more - it's a massive step forward.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the reviews have all been very good on this from what I've seen. Plenty of good points too from people who played the first, for example secrets aren't all the same switch in the wall textures like in the first one, which makes them harder to find and the class progression offers a lot more replayability.