Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
They are literally all over including one right by great plateau. 20 hours for the blind.

1680067950575.jpeg

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I would give my left nut for Nintendo to get out of the hardware business entirely and throw these games on current gen hardware.

Still playing it regardless. Time to reverse all muscle memory again and for Y and B and A and X all to be in the wrong spots.

Yeah, so would I. Nintendo fanboys would argue that Nintendo getting out of hardware means we'd lose their inventive spirit. I say all their inventive spirit has really brought us is waggle-motion controls and stylus controls that nobody likes. The Switch is a fantastic system due to its portability but it can't even begin to compare to other current gen hardware on an actual TV. It's rough seeing things like Zelda trapped on what is essentially 2014 hardware. Looks so antiquated. I like antiquated games and retro games and their look has never been an impediment for me (see 90's CRPGs), but what we have here is a new game released in 2023.

That video Chimney Chimney posted is probably very close to what this would look like on PS5. If these games looked like that, I might actually put Elden Ring level time into it.

I also feel like Elden Ring does everything BOTW did except better. A super saiyan version of BOTW if you will.

Now that I've dumped on Nintendo a bunch, I'm still kind of excited for this game, because it's new Zelda and I grew up with Zelda. I'm like two games behind though (never played Skyward at all and never got that far with BOTW) so I guess I've fallen out with it. Still glad it exists if that makes sense.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did you guys just never see any Hinox when you played and fought with sticks/low quality weapons? You could get an inventory full of knight or if lucky royal weapon drops pretty much immediately after getting out into the world and never think about it again. It made dura a short term inconvenience and kept it thematically true of a newly awakened Link without access to mastersword etc.

Between fusing and a highly likely way to farm weapons early it will likely be the same in this one.

Otherwise consider it a difficulty slider for inept explorers.
You can also skip the bullshit and just use Amiibos, but none of that makes durability loss taken to such an extreme degree any less of a retarded idea in BOTW. Instead of progressing logically through weapons like a normal game all it does is encourage you to find a source of ones that are way more powerful than what you should reasonably have at the beginning of the game, which in turn trivializes the combat.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve seen people talk about BOTWs innovation before and I don’t understand what they’re talking about. It was a good game but I didn’t feel like there was anything innovative about it. Maybe the map rotation in the divine beast dungeons? The rest was just open world stuff done in dozens of games before. Maybe the shrine puzzles? Puzzles have been done in games going back to Commodore 64 days. Maybe the amount of puzzles that were packed into it was the innovation part?

Anyways, my son is looking forward to TotK, hopefully the fuse thing has made the weapon breaking mechanic more bearable.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I never got into Breath of the Wild. The weapon durability thing just annoyed me to the point where I didn't care to continue and I stopped after playing for maybe an hour or two.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Given that almost everything you killed would drop weapons, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Yeah you get used to "Hold onto it just in case you need something stronger..." but replaying it, didn't phase me at all. Bigger issue to me, was not finding the fucker who let you trade in +equipment slots for seeds until the 2nd playthrough. Trying to manage holding a fire/thunder/ice weapon + whatever when you had 8 (?) slots was a bitch and a half. First half of the game you get really good at killing shit with bombs & gravity, if not headshot bow kills anyway.

Won't ever be as skilled as those people who can doing the hilarious double bomb/flight/physics nonsense, still equally excited to watch the videos of things people come up with

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah when I played BOTW I held on to all of the ancient tech weapons I could and just ended up never using them. I'll try not to do that this time. Also I need to abuse the crafting system more.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I never got into Breath of the Wild. The weapon durability thing just annoyed me to the point where I didn't care to continue and I stopped after playing for maybe an hour or two.

Same here. That and the rampant puzzles. I'm not a huge puzzle guy, at least not in my action/exploration games. Wasn't crazy about Uncharted 4 or Immortals Fenyx Rising either because they both constantly ground to a halt to do puzzles.

Funny thing is I have no issue at all with the puzzles in earlier Zelda games. LTTP has some fun ones, enjoyed Ocarina and Wind Waker throughout, etc. BOTW though, it just got annoying and then I'd get like a Korok Seed or whatever for all my trouble (wru heart containers).

I really tried with BOTW.

Maybe I'll give Skyward a try some time since it's more of a traditional Zelda, and I'm overdue for a new one either way. Those two are all I have left and the last one I finished was Spirit Tracks in 2019. Speaking of awful stylus controls.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Same here. That and the rampant puzzles. I'm not a huge puzzle guy, at least not in my action/exploration games. Wasn't crazy about Uncharted 4 or Immortals Fenyx Rising either because they both constantly ground to a halt to do puzzles.

Funny thing is I have no issue at all with the puzzles in earlier Zelda games. LTTP has some fun ones, enjoyed Ocarina and Wind Waker throughout, etc. BOTW though, it just got annoying and then I'd get like a Korok Seed or whatever for all my trouble (wru heart containers).

I really tried with BOTW.

Maybe I'll give Skyward a try some time since it's more of a traditional Zelda, and I'm overdue for a new one either way. Those two are all I have left and the last one I finished was Spirit Tracks in 2019. Speaking of awful stylus controls.
Skyward Sword is objectively the worst Zelda game, don't play it.

Fii: Hey Rajaah, did you hear that? Chris said that Skyward Sword is objectively the worst Zelda game. Remember not to buy it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Same. Handheld gaming isn't for me, but they have at least a dozen games each gen that are 100% worth playing and I don't want to be a pirate.

Emulated versions of their games in 4k look fantastic. BOTW below for example.

Wow would like to try it. Anyone know how to run BoTW on PC? Really don’t want to buy a Switch just to play a 6 year old game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wow would like to try it. Anyone know how to run BoTW on PC? Really don’t want to buy a Switch just to play a 6 year old game.
I believe Yuzu is the most popular switch emulator, Ryujinx also.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Just go to YouTube and type "4k zelda botw setup" and videos will show you the way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played BotW the first time after doing 5 playthroughs of Elden Ring, so you can imagine how lackluster it felt for me.

The weapon durability system is just another one of Nintendo's efforts to drag out the play time of their games.

Also, don't expect anything like Ultra 4k HD whammo spiffy super FPS graphics any time soon from Nintendo. They're Japan-centric and they don't care about that stuff, they're a big handheld market. Nintendo makes retarded bank on Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby games. They also cash in on all the times soccer moms paid to have a DS screen fixed or Switch controller replaced. Why make expensive HD game systems when you can make cheaper ones that break easy?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Better have a beast of a PC - CEMU BOTW Zelda runs like shit (shouldnt be a surprise as most EMU's do.) But if you tweak it just right and your computer can handle it, its spot on and has some QOL the switch doesnt have for obvious reasons.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Skyward Sword is objectively the worst Zelda game, don't play it.

Fii: Hey Rajaah, did you hear that? Chris said that Skyward Sword is objectively the worst Zelda game. Remember not to buy it.

Oh God, it's one of those games with a "MEGAMAN MEGAMAN!" character who doesn't shut up isn't it?

Too late, I already bought it. Think it was when I got that massive trove of games in early 2021 that I'm still working through now.

Another thing that'd get me plowing BOTW is if Zelda were playable. Surprised she isn't. Seems like they set her up to be playable, and her outfit is very much suitable as a fighting outfit in the Zelda world (as opposed to her usual princess/bard type outfits). Plus she looks really damn good in those yoga pants or whatever they are.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just go to YouTube and type "4k zelda botw setup" and videos will show you the way.

Plus, you can plug a PS5 controller into a PC and use it with emulators.

So between that and the visual upgrade, it'd basically be like playing BOTW on PS5 if you have a decent size monitor.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Really don’t want to buy a Switch just to play a 6 year old game.

Well, I have news for you. You can buy a switch to play this game or any new game and it will still look like a game from 2008.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Also, don't expect anything like Ultra 4k HD whammo spiffy super FPS graphics any time soon from Nintendo. They're Japan-centric and they don't care about that stuff, they're a big handheld market. Nintendo makes retarded bank on Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby games. They also cash in on all the times soccer moms paid to have a DS screen fixed or Switch controller replaced. Why make expensive HD game systems when you can make cheaper ones that break easy?
I would think Nintendo's time is running out on handhelds. As phones become cheaper and more powerful, kids can play games on those. Hell, game streaming (like with GeForce Now) is pretty impressive, so it doesn't even require high-end hardware. Nintendo could easily become irrelevant in quick order.

Anyway, the gameplay of Tears will probably be great. But is it just me for do the graphics in the video look very washed out? Like the brightness is set too high.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I would think Nintendo's time is running out on handhelds. As phones become cheaper and more powerful, kids can play games on those. Hell, game streaming (like with GeForce Now) is pretty impressive, so it doesn't even require high-end hardware. Nintendo could easily become irrelevant in quick order.

Anyway, the gameplay of Tears will probably be great. But is it just me for do the graphics in the video look very washed out? Like the brightness is set too high.
Washed out graphics is a switch feature. It looks like shit even on really nice TVs.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!