Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Fadaar

That guy
Anyone remember paying like $80 for FF3(6) or SF2 Turbo back in teh day? I mean granted, there was a fuckton more "technology" in the carts than a damn download or disc, but games today should cost like $130-150 based on inflation alone.

i swear to god some N64 games were $70 at launch. i wasnt the one paying for them but im pretty sure im right.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Divine beasts were ok, but considering they were the dungeons for BoTW they were sorely lacking. I really missed full fledged dungeons we had grown accustomed to in Zelda games. The shrines were gimicky and boring, I agree with you there. I haven’t read much about TotK, are there shrines again? I’m already on the fence about buying just because the stupid weapon durability is in the game again.
I just read the Kotaku article, but it said that there are 5 traditional dungeons, the BotW overworld with changes and new shrines, an underground "overworld" and the skyworld.

So seems like there'll be a lot more to explore this time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Yep, i
I just read the Kotaku article, but it said that there are 5 traditional dungeons, the BotW overworld with changes and new shrines, an underground "overworld" and the skyworld.

So seems like there'll be a lot more to explore this time.

Yep, it still seems to be a similar formula to Botw but seems way bigger to me so far. Honestly just been dicking around since my switch isnt hacked so I have no way to transfer the save, but between the scattered sky islands, the underground area, and the remixed overworld, its a pretty gigantic world to explore.

Weapon durability is really my only gripe so far, but at least fused weapons seem to last a LITTLE longer, though its been a while since I played BOTW so I could be wrong.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yep, i

Yep, it still seems to be a similar formula to Botw but seems way bigger to me so far. Honestly just been dicking around since my switch isnt hacked so I have no way to transfer the save, but between the scattered sky islands, the underground area, and the remixed overworld, its a pretty gigantic world to explore.

Weapon durability is really my only gripe so far, but at least fused weapons seem to last a LITTLE longer, though its been a while since I played BOTW so I could be wrong.
How exactly does that work?

If you have a weapon with 1 durability and merge it, what happens?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah, I remember $70 and $80. I remember talking to my friends and we were thinking games would be $150 in 20 years.

Turok is the one in particular I remember being expensive because it was a launch title and pretty much the only game I wanted when N64 Christmas came around

Eli809 Eli809 this article supports the argument you had on the podcast a while back

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Turok is the one in particular I remember being expensive because it was a launch title and pretty much the only game I wanted when N64 Christmas came around

Eli809 Eli809 this article supports the argument you had on the podcast a while back
a276a39ee65c8865c66c0521472f4f12.jpg

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
How exactly does that work?

If you have a weapon with 1 durability and merge it, what happens?
Basically you can fuse a bunch of random stuff to the weapon you're using and it adds attack power / extra durability / sometimes added effects. (Like a wind knockbsck / flames / etc).

You can only have 1 thing fused to a weapon/ shield at a time but you can also destroy the fused piece and attach a new one.

Seems to extend the durability a bit but doesn't prevent them from breaking entirely.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Basically you can fuse a bunch of random stuff to the weapon you're using and it adds attack power / extra durability / sometimes added effects. (Like a wind knockbsck / flames / etc).

You can only have 1 thing fused to a weapon/ shield at a time but you can also destroy the fused piece and attach a new one.

Seems to extend the durability a bit but doesn't prevent them from breaking entirely.
Sounds even worse. Now we can craft some cool synergy weapons that we never use because we don’t want to break them.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We were kids and our parents actively dodged places like Babbages and Toys R Us. Of course we didnt realize the price of games and consoles. In hindsight, as poor as my family was back in the 80's and early 90's - Im ashamed I asked my mom to spend as much on games and consoles as she did. Maybe if I had an allowance, I would have been more aware of the prices of video games? But then that defeats the whole conversation because at that point, we would have been wealthy enough that it wouldnt have mattered imo.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Ah so I guess you have to choose between combining two weapons for extra range ect, or combining with stuff like red jelly for fire damage? And if you like your weapon you need to keep recombining it with stuff?

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

We were kids and our parents actively dodged places like Babbages and Toys R Us. Of course we didnt realize the price of games and consoles. In hindsight, as poor as my family was back in the 80's and early 90's - Im ashamed I asked my mom to spend as much on games and consoles as she did. Maybe if I had an allowance, I would have been more aware of the prices of video games? But then that defeats the whole conversation because at that point, we would have been wealthy enough that it wouldnt have mattered imo.

I am with you on that. My older brother didn't care and asked for whatever he wanted it was up to my parents to either do it or not. I was more aware or caring of my parents fiscal condition and guaged my asking of things on such.

I worked an entire summer of piece work to buy myself starfox 64.. 80$ after tax

• 2Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Ah so I guess you have to choose between combining two weapons for extra range ect, or combining with stuff like red jerry for fire damage? And if you like your weapon you need to keep recombining it with stuff?

I'll have to see, that was my initial thought but I still dont think you can make weapons last forever, I hope I'm wrong but I have never really been close to running out of weapons, pretty plentiful. (Arrows are the opposite so far, run out of them constantly).

Shitty part is only being able to hold like 5 or 6 weaps at a time but I'm sure you can upgrade that like in BOTW.

Crisco

A greasy jar
Cant beleive how many people cant deal with weapon durability. The whole point is to make players think or get out of the comfort box a bit to kill enemies. Even if you have a favorite weapon enough dropped that you can have full inventory of the same one. It only was an issue at the very beginning if you didnt pick up the axe that is right out the cave at the start. If you go into fights with a stick yea it'll break or if you refused to use the food and elixir system you may be to weak and lose weapons if you try to pow into content that is higher level than you (yes there was a leveling system that made enemies stronger as you killed more and more)

Stop being a horder and use the tools the game gives you and it never got hard. Master mode was tricky with durability but it has master in the title.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Cant beleive how many people cant deal with weapon durability. The whole point is to make players think or get out of the comfort box a bit to kill enemies. Even if you have a favorite weapon enough dropped that you can have full inventory of the same one. It only was an issue at the very beginning if you didnt pick up the axe that is right out the cave at the start. If you go into fights with a stick yea it'll break or if you refused to use the food and elixir system you may be to weak and lose weapons if you try to pow into content that is higher level than you (yes there was a leveling system that made enemies stronger as you killed more and more)

Stop being a horder and use the tools the game gives you and it never got hard. Master mode was tricky with durability but it has master in the title.
I didnt hoard at all, I just stopped caring about weapon and used whatever I had, which is a shame cause acquiring new weapons was always a big thing in zelda, and it felt trivial in botw. Ganeplay wise it wasnt a big deal to me tho.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The durability shit was just poorly balanced in the game. It didnt reward tactful gameplay and was just an annoyance for the most part. Or, in words similar to what you're saying - you were either a hoarder or you just eventually didnt give a single fuck.

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The whole point is to make players think or get out of the comfort box a bit to kill enemies.
Doesn't matter what the intent was. The actual effect was to make players avoid combat unless it was absolutely necessary or the enemy was guaranteed to drop another weapon as good or better than what you had.

• 4Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yup. The game was played and enjoyed IN SPITE of the horrible durability mechanic that literally nobody liked or enjoyed. I guess that says a lot about the game's inherent quality, but at the same point it says a lot about the designers that they couldn't observe the intense dislike for their retarded system and maybe improve upon it for the second iteration.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah my son just ran around enemies until he had a big inventory with durable items and could farm more durable items. He figured out the system sucked at 6 years old.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Yeah my son just ran around enemies until he had a big inventory with durable items and could farm more durable items. He figured out the system sucked at 6 years old.
I agree that the system sucks, but the game was still one of my favorites, I just learned to deal with it and had a blast. Just hope the master sword doesnt go on cooldown as easily in this one, not gonna hold my breath though.

Last edited: