Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm not into building things with legos either. My infamous failure to platinum Fallout 4 was due to several building trophies that were horrendous to try and get working. Just wasn't into building things. When I was a kid I would have liked that stuff...maybe...if the UI were more intuitive. Hopefully TOTK is better.

But yeah, I want another Elden Ring where I constantly find new things and get rewarded for exploration and find interesting places and lore behind every corner, while also being challenged just enough that all of it actually means something.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is this game really a lot closer to ER than BOTW was?

At the very least I assume they learned a lot from ER design-wise and incorporated elements of it. Lifting ideas from uber-successful games is normal in this industry and if you can innovate on them, even better.
Zelda invented the open world genre. Non linear exploration, side quests, random caves full of loot, riding around on a horse...

I may be wrong but nothing in the genre pre dates Ocarina of Time and all of the elements except the horse were present in the 2D games too.

Breath of the Wild was just upgrading the formula to modern standards and removing the linearity which had crept into the series due to hardware limitations.

Elden Ring learned from Breath of the Wild learned from Ocarina of Time learned from Link to the Past. The Nintendo devs did a talk on how they designed open world points of interest in Breath of the Wild before Elden Ring existed.

Tears of the Kingdom is pretty difficult at the start, like Elden Ring is, until you learn the systems and get some armour/hearts. After that, Elden Ring is at it's heart a combat puzzle game and Zelda is an exploration puzzle game.

• 2Moron
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zelda invented the open world genre.
1njhck.jpg

You're exhausting.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Zelda invented the open world genre. Non linear exploration, side quests, random caves full of loot, riding around on a horse...

I may be wrong but nothing in the genre pre dates Ocarina of Time and all of the elements except the horse were present in the 2D games too.

Breath of the Wild was just upgrading the formula to modern standards and removing the linearity which had crept into the series due to hardware limitations.

Elden Ring learned from Breath of the Wild learned from Ocarina of Time learned from Link to the Past. The Nintendo devs did a talk on how they designed open world points of interest in Breath of the Wild before Elden Ring existed.

Tears of the Kingdom is pretty difficult at the start, like Elden Ring is, until you learn the systems and get some armour/hearts. After that, Elden Ring is at it's heart a combat puzzle game and Zelda is an exploration puzzle game.
I’m pretty sure this is very wrong. Arena pops into my head instantly as an open world predating ocarina of time, and that’s just a game I’ve played and remember. I’m guessing there may have been some before that too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I’m pretty sure this is very wrong. Arena pops into my head instantly as an open world predating ocarina of time, and that’s just a game I’ve played and remember. I’m guessing there may have been some before that too.
What is Arena?

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I would assume he means The Elder Scrolls: Arena. Came out in ‘94.
OK. Now what has gameplay closest to Elden Ring, Arena or Ocarina of Time?

Not saying that Zelda is the only early influence on the genre, but not much has changed since the N64 other than better processors allowing less zone lines.

• 1Picard

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
OK. Now what has gameplay closest to Elden Ring, Arena or Ocarina of Time?

Not saying that Zelda is the only early influence on the genre, but not much has changed since the N64 other than better processors allowing less zone lines.
Oh we’re just picking a game that has the closest gameplay to Elden Ring then declaring it as the first open world game ever?

In that case Assassins Creed Valhalla was the first open world game ever made.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
As far as how much crazy shit you can do to get things done, this Zelda feels closer to Just Cause.

A bunch of enemy camps sprinkled over a huge world, lots of meaningless fun to be had, can pull and yank objects and throw them around, can make explosions, and the story is there but it's not really why you're having fun.

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh we’re just picking a game that has the closest gameplay to Elden Ring then declaring it as the first open world game ever?

In that case Assassins Creed Valhalla was the first open world game ever made.
Elden Ring was the thing people were talking about being an influence on Zelda, I'm saying it's the other way around.

I haven't played any 1st person games like Elder Scrolls. Seems like a different thing to me but it's definetly related.

• 1Picard

Chris

Potato del Grande
Back on topic, Water Temple and the area leading up to it were stunning. The puzzles were so elegant that I was almost moved to tears, was none stop "aha!" moments.

Sky road waterfall gliding, bubble physics... amazing

Take two opal rods/staves.

• 1Pathetic

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I found the skydiving wingsuit. That has made stuff way easier.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users