Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Makes your freefall glide ratio a lot wider so you can go further before pulling out the glider.
Niiiiiice, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Lately I've just been messing around with the sky areas and how to make machines to get from one island to the next. Pretty pointless overall, but also a blast to play around with.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I find myself having Metroid Prime vibes playing this game, some of the darker creepier areas like the underground along with the semi-sentient gloom reminding me of Phazon, maybe also how you start the game with all your stuff and then lose everything exactly like in Metroid games and not at all like usual Zelda games.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wtf is opal magic?
Stick a gem on a rod or staff and it does magic.

Opal is balls of water, Ruby is balls of fire, Topaz is balls of lightning etc

Also I think you can beat that boss with just the sage ability.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wait. Holy shit I had no idea. Where does the game even tell you that?

I need to find some staves soon then. Or just start using tree branches.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

The various Wizzrobes you encounter in the world carry sticks or scepters with a gem fused to it, that's one way to discover the elemental properties of the gems.

The other way is to read the description of the gems in your inventory that flat out tells you rubies will make fire, topaz will make electricity, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You don't need to use a staff/wand for gem attributes. You can attach to swords and crap.

Niiiiiice, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Lately I've just been messing around with the sky areas and how to make machines to get from one island to the next. Pretty pointless overall, but also a blast to play around with.

Even better is the upgraded set let's you negate fall damage.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Description on the rods/staves says to attach a gem, got a few in shrines.

The various Wizzrobes you encounter in the world carry sticks or scepters with a gem fused to it, that's one way to discover the elemental properties of the gems.

The other way is to read the description of the gems in your inventory that flat out tells you rubies will make fire, topaz will make electricity, etc.

Been avoiding them so had no idea you could get them for free!

You don't need to use a staff/wand for gem attributes. You can attach to swords and crap.
I think it's only 1 ball on regular items and 3 balls on rods/staves, 3 is much better for mobile enemies.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll just say that it can be found in the very early areas by just messing around. I'm like 12 hours in at most.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Far as open world stuff goes, I'm just glad OW games are so popular now and that the last two Zeldas brought them to people who weren't into them before. OoT was open-worldy to an extent but it also followed a path through the game. BOTW and TOTK are true OW, and exposing new people to the wonders of OW (who somehow missed out on ER, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc etc)

I think Fallout 3 was the first truly great modern open world monstrosity for me. The logical extension of things like the original Zelda and Dragon Quest. Put the player in the middle of a world and basically just tell them "go in any direction, find adventure". Several Elder Scrolls games pre-date it and one could make the same argument for, say, Morrowind, but for me Fallout 3 was the point where I felt everyone sat up and took notice of what an OW game could be. Since then we've had a bunch of great ones that built off of it.

• 1Like

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
Zelda invented the open world genre:

th-1650581414.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Far as open world stuff goes, I'm just glad OW games are so popular now and that the last two Zeldas brought them to people who weren't into them before. OoT was open-worldy to an extent but it also followed a path through the game. BOTW and TOTK are true OW, and exposing new people to the wonders of OW (who somehow missed out on ER, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc etc)

I think Fallout 3 was the first truly great modern open world monstrosity for me. The logical extension of things like the original Zelda and Dragon Quest. Put the player in the middle of a world and basically just tell them "go in any direction, find adventure". Several Elder Scrolls games pre-date it and one could make the same argument for, say, Morrowind, but for me Fallout 3 was the point where I felt everyone sat up and took notice of what an OW game could be. Since then we've had a bunch of great ones that built off of it.
Pretty sure Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall still holds the title for largest world.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall still holds the title for largest world.
It has been beaten since. Don’t forget shit like flight simulator which has the entire planet. Then you have games that span multiple planets now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This game has succeeded in keeping the game world interesting. There's always something to find just around the corner. Just like in Elden Ring and I appreciate that.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It has been beaten since. Don’t forget shit like flight simulator which has the entire planet. Then you have games that span multiple planets now.

Pretty interesting list here, I learned a lot. One thing though:

1684773166853.png

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't FFXV's explorable world only like...the southern half of the east continent? It definitely wasn't all of this. Maybe some FFXV veteran can chime in. It lets you visit some of the other areas in short, guided, on-rails visits but that's it.

I guess that one area was a whopping 700+ square miles though. For how incomplete the game is that's impressive. Maybe if they hadn't spent years fully fleshing out that one half of that one continent, they could have put the rest of the game world in too.

Xenoblade X is probably my favorite map on the list because of how varied the biomes are.

One thing's for sure, I'm just glad things like BOTW, Elden Ring, and Witcher 3 mainstreamed open world games and showed everyone what us Elder Scrolls players already knew.

• 1Like