Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Some early access testing will be happening this year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Visually it looks busy & loud, but in terms of mechanics it seems interesting.
I watched a little of the livestream and it seemed easy enough to follow.
It's clearly designed for Mobile since bright/big icons work best there.

Kripp / Trump played it

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I only had time to watch the Kripp video, my initial impression is that it's that feels very much like Hearthstone in term of pacing/flow of the game, it was somewhat easy to follow even if I was not familiar with the mechanics and cards being played.

It seems to address the major flaw of Hearthstone of not being to do anything during the opponent's turn, but it seems to much more limited as to what you can do than in Magic. I feel that keeps the game pacing a bit faster than Magic, and possibly make the game easier to follow.

I always found Hearthstone to be very casual friendly both in term of gameplay and watchability, and Magic to be a bit more hardcore again both in gameplay and watchability. The 1 game I watched gave me Hearthstone vibes in both cases, gameplay and watchability.

I think if it has good balance, interesting meta, interesting gameplay modes that it will will hurt Hearthstone more than Magic.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I signed up for the beta to give it a try. Been done with HS and I never wanted to dive into Magic. The fact it'll be on mobile has me stoked. However between this, TFT and LoL:Mobile, I don't know what I'm going to gravitate to. Right now TFT ranks up there for me, but sometimes it can be frustrating, and the games are pretty long @ 45min or so. Maybe they find a way to tone that down. They clearly understand that game time on mobile is a big deal, since they say LoL:Mobile games will be ~25min.

This game seems to have a LOT of depth but is presented in a very clear-cut fashion. I can see getting invested in it due to its depth. Really depends on the $$$ commitment and if it has meta-issues like HS did.

Having a Dual-Class system is interesting though. HS has had issues with it's 9 class decks + neutrals. This game eliminates problematic neutral cards by funneling everything into the 6 classes (origins?). So you're less likely to see a "Sylvanas" or "Ragnaros" in almost every deck.

What history tells me is there's always reason to complain about something :D

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Cool twitch integration, you can mouse-over cards to see them in details. :)

Some animation are very long, can be annoying a bit.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just watched dog for a bit. Game seems good and an upgrade from HS. Animations might be long but look cool and don't happen all that frequently. Seems to have good pacing.

You can tell it's designed for mobile but also spectating. Large text explaining actions or why an action can't happen, helps educate viewers as much as the player. I was able to learn a decent amount without even playing.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I watched Disguised Toast for a bit and found the game fun to spectate and very easy to follow. If Riot does a good job of marketing the game, and obviously if it's balanced and has an interesting meta, I think it will hurt Hearthstone a lot. Gameplay seems more interesting with more interactions. Also so far it doesn't seem to have much RNG.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watch their model be even more predatory on the "omg i just watched a hype game time to build that deck" crowd ;)

At least with pack opening you despair of building the deck anytime soon from the start!

I like their solution to the "legendary" problem, with the swapping back and forth between a duplicate champion card and a signature spell. Something that works much cleaner on a digital game than when magic tried it with "grandeur."

The spell mana overflow also seems like a pretty nice little way to deal with how these guaranteed resource progression games tend to turn into curve-or-die at times, by giving you an advantage to leverage on later turns whenever you miss a curve-step or are forced to play a less-curve-fitting answer to a situation.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m in. Won’t have time for to play till tomorrow night though.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I’m in. Won’t have time for to play till tomorrow night though.

You just signed up on the website?

I hated getting in a year late to test Artifact (yeah, yeah I know lul). By then the game was already figured out to a science. Half the fun of these games is trying to build the OP deck.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You just signed up on the website?

I hated getting in a year late to test Artifact (yeah, yeah I know lul). By then the game was already figured out to a science. Half the fun of these games is trying to build the OP deck.

I got in with a "drop" from watching Disguised Toast on Twitch.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well this was fun. :)

I had a buffed Zed to start the round, he was 5/4.
Zed.jpg

I cast Dawn and Dusk

Dawn and Dusk.jpg

I attack with 3 Zed, creates copies of himself and that is what the board looked like. :)

1571361079137.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I think I'm done for the night. The game is a lot of fun.

It feels like a hybrid of Magic and Hearthstone in that it has mechanics and complexity similar to Magic, but the flow and pace is more like Hearthstone in that it's faster.

All in all, pretty fun...won't be playing much since I hate playing card games on the PC, I love them on iPad while doing other stuff, or just to kill time. They've said they developed on mobile first, and PC after and that mobile will be at launch so that's cool.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played some more and having a total blast.

I'll admit that much of it has to do with the game being new, and just being amazed at seeing stuff I never saw before, either cards I never saw or strategy I never expected. I'll say again personally, this has the feel of hearthstone in term of pacing, but with more complexity like Magic.

One thing I notice so far(small sample) is that early games rarely get out of control, I think the way the draw system, the passive mana, and the 3 extra "spell mana" you can bank if you don't use all your mana keeps the early game very interesting. On the other, the mid/late game when heroes level, and the big cards come out can see some spectacular turns, and reversals. My last game I had 1 health left, and opponent had 20 and I won 2 turns later taking him to negative 32 I think, so I did like 52 damage in 2 turns.

One tiny detail I like a lot, when you cannot do anything on your turn, the computer automatically passes, so you can't use the 30 seconds to think about the next turn, it keeps the game flowing at a quick pace.