Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the lack of RNG is one of the best part if you come from Hearthstone.

I’m nowhere near good enough at theorycrafting to know what to expect from Riot in terms of balancing, so aside from new features I’m curious to see wha type of balance change we might see on the beta phase.

I’ve seen streamers bash some cards and then another use it in a very powerful way, so not sure even the community understands all the intricacies yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the lack of RNG is one of the best part if you come from Hearthstone.

I’m nowhere near good enough at theorycrafting to know what to expect from Riot in terms of balancing, so aside from new features I’m curious to see wha type of balance change we might see on the beta phase.

I’ve seen streamers bash some cards and then another use it in a very powerful way, so not sure even the community understands all the intricacies yet.

Which is awesome. People have been bitching at Blizzard to tone down RNG for years and they don't do shit about it.

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its the largest reason I finally just got tired of Hearthstone. I do not mind a little bit of random. Its one of the things that can translate well from table top to computer. I do not like a random like "Spend 6 cast a random legendary creature". Those kind of randoms are just weak and frustrating when your opponent gets a Lich King while you get the 1/1 Pirate. There is little skill involved with a game that over utilizes a random system. This can even be seen with a very recent video in the last Hearthstone tournament, when one of the better players ended up randomly summoning his own death. All it is is frustrating and not fun.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Really wish I could have played this more before it was taken offline. Had to go away this weekend.

My Initial review is very positive.

This game should fill the HS itch nicely, I don't see anymore reason to log into HS. I was already "done" with the game, but found myself logging in every few months to scratch the itch.
HS feels so outdated/old now compared to this game.

My initial reaction to the trailers was that this game was very busy/loud, but playing it & watching streams was the exact opposite.
The interface/animations/art are all so nice. Nice polish and good (intelligent) design choices. Should work well on mobile and also reads well on streams/spectating.

Gameplay:

RNG is the nature of card games, the big problem is when RNG can decide an entire game. For example, you are soundly defeated and have been outplayed all game, yet 1 card turns the entire game to your favor, or outright wins (Yogg). RNG can exist, but needs to be done well, needs to have pros/cons or still involve decision making. I do not believe Riot devs will always make the best decisions. They are human. We will get some broken-ass shit and all complain about it. It's inevitable. But maybe they can do a little better than Blizzard.. we'll see.

The game does mitigate RNG factors due to the "reaction" system. Every action involves a reaction. So that's REALLY nice and is something people wished HS had since forever. The game does have some RNG elements already, such as Karma & some others. RNG card generation has always (mostly) been fine imo.

The Action/Reaction system is real nice. Games can get bogged down with the action queue a bit with always needing to wait for the Reaction before playing your next action. Games might drag on a bit more than HS, but 20 health Nexus also means games come to a tipping point faster and can outright end. I also dread the players that turn "auto-pass" off and let time rope every move. I hope they find ways to avoid this type of griefing.

Decks: Allowing 3 copies of each card means you get decks with 13.33 unique cards @ max copies compared to HS that can have 15. So RNG draws are actually mitigated more if you use max copies, even though deck size is larger. 6 Champion cards is a good trade-off to mitigate RNG compared to HS. You can build around a champion and include 3 copies, giving you 3/40 chance to draw compared to HS 1/30 chance. The trade-off is you can't have more than 6 unique champions. And if you spread yourself thin by including 1-ofs, you have a less likely chance to draw them (worse than in HS). I can see "generalized" decks having a mixture of champions, and "build-around" decks requiring 3 copies of a single champ. (Most decks are likely to be build-arounds, so always at least 1 champ with 3x)

20 Health: Having a lower health count makes sense when you consider EVERY unit essentially has "Taunt"/"Counterspell".

Meta: Like every other "deck/comp building" game, the true test is what the meta looks like and if it's varied & strategic enough & without huge outliers (+55% winrates). Ideal meta means the best decks at a 50-52% win rate. With a game this new, it's way too soon to judge the meta and if it'll be fun, or frustrating.

Right now, it's definitely a breath of fresh air and will be a tough decision between LoR, TFT, or LoL:Wild Rift for my mobile gaming time.
PC gaming may soon disappear for me.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
PC gaming may soon disappear for me.

Only thing I play on PC now is FF14 and Overwatch, and both are available of the PS4.

My PC will be 5 years old in February, I told my friend when it dies, I might not be replacing it and only use my iPad and PS4. I'm not 100% certain I won't replace it, but it's a definite possibility.

As for this game, I played a bit, and I'm already missing it, and can't wait for the next beta phase.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another play weekend coming up.

Looking forward to trying it with a lot more time to play this go around. If you were in the last Beta, you are in all betas from this weekend forward. Apparently there is a potential balance patch coming just before the weekend to address concerns either of lack of power or to much with certain heroes. I really hope this game garners as much attention as league of legends gets with potential tournaments and such. It would be nice to finally knock Hearthstone down to such a degree that Blizzard has to rethink that games strategy. Magic Arena is doing a fine enough job of knocking themselves down. This game just gives me an excellent out from that game.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Got an email I'm still in the beta, wonder if anyone got kicked for this round?

New expedition mode (like HS arena):

should be fun, can't wait to play this more.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
They really seem to have taken HS and looked at all its strengths and weaknesses and improve on everything. As mentioned expedition look very much like HS arena but with a better draft where you pick a theme, card that synergies or wild cards. The you can tweak your deck as you go along by replace cards. It looks interesting.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Won my first expedition match. Person had me but chose not to block the soldier that does double damage to the nexus. One shot for 20 was sweet.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I won my first expedition. Totally crushed my opponent. I really like the way the draft goes picking more than 1 card at a time, and being able to trade 3 at the end. It feels less random and feels like you can try to build around a theme better.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed expedition. I am enjoying this game so far. The play mechanic is better than Hearthstone and Magic. You can tell that a lot of thought went into the design of this game. I honestly cannot think of a better play system than what they came up with. There is some random but it is not overdone. There will always be a need to balance cards but they seem to respond to the issues quickly enough. A list of the things I enjoy over Hearthstone and Magic Arena.

1. NO Mana. Its the largest all around complaint for Magic Arena(It is the largest complaint for Magic Period.) There is are discussions that revolve around the shuffler. No stress with this game with Mana.

2. I hate counterspells. This game has one card that counters. This means a player can have 3 counters in the deck. I am fine with that limitation. I am not sure if there is a discard mechanic but I hate that one as well.

3. I left Magic because I got tired of Mana. So I tried Hearthstone. I enjoyed it but stopped playing mainly because random got out of control. This game has elements of random but it feels more controlled. I guess the worst effect I have seen is the hero that randomly summons a spell. I could see in the right circumstances where that might get annoying. The hero is easy enough to kill.

4. Hearthstone also lacked the challenge of response. This game incorporates fast response actions even on the defense.

I am puzzled at the lack of attention from this board around this game. I know we have a good amount of Magic and Hearthstone players. I stopped playing Hearthstone when Magic Arena came out. I will stop playing Magic Arena when this game comes out. They give you a lot of wild cards to build decks with during the Beta.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I am puzzled at the lack of attention from this board around this game. I know we have a good amount of Magic and Hearthstone players. I stopped playing Hearthstone when Magic Arena came out. I will stop playing Magic Arena when this game comes out. They give you a lot of wild cards to build decks with during the Beta.

I couldn't get in to Magic, though I still play Hearthstone. I read this thread, but I'm kind of in a don't really want to get into another game feeling atm. I'm waiting on Dungeon Defenders Awakened which is supposed to Beta this month, I forsee that as the game I'll dump a lot of time into next.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

I think there are many reasons this has less interest:
  • HS/Magic players are burnt out of these games.
  • Not paying attention to the beta schedule, and still being in beta.
  • It's a Riot game, if you never played LoL, or had no interest in LoL, then you're less likely to have interest, whereas HS is built on an incredibly strong IP which is at least 2x older than LoL, and in fact LoL started due to the DoTA mod in WC3, and Magic is also an incredibly long & old IP and is the leader in the physical card space.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well,

It is time to raise this thread.

They are going open Beta on the 24th. Some Highlights include the following.

1. A friends list that allows a person to directly challenge a player 1v1( Serious WTF to Magic Arena not having this in yet.)
2. They have done some more balancing. More info on that on the 22nd.
3. If you have an account that played in a previous Beta, you can start on the 23rd. This is a little important because..
4. No more resets.
5. Ladder system will be in game.
6. They also added some quality of life improvements which might include graphic enhancements and choices.

I have been looking forward to this game since I first tried it out last September. I have no problem ditching Magic Arena as honestly there development team is just to slow.

I have no doubt that this will take a share of the market away from both Hearthstone and Magic Arena. I do think Hearthstone stands to lose more as Magic always has the physical aspect to back it up. This game is just all around an improvement on play with both games and should have been the rule set Hearthstone used. Should be fun.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I've been biding my time with TFT/LoL waiting for this. I don't think I logged into hearthstone after the 1st beta test preview.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like how they are choosing to go with making money via Pets, boards and effects rather than the cards. It really will make a difference if the game ends up being a major hit. It just appears like they are doing everything right.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm probably going to be casually invested in this, from my limited time during the previous 2 beta I feel this game takes the best from Hearthstone and Magic and removes the worse from both games.

I want the mobile client though, my time playing these type of game is 95%+ on an iPad and not on the PC. It's mostly a time killer for me rather than a main game if that makes any sense, and I prefer iPad for that type of experience.