Lending money to friends?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know of a platform that's good for lending money to friends? Like a microlending type thing almost? I have been very blessed the past 3-4 years and made a lot of money and spent very, very little (aside from my monitor addiction) and I would like to help some friends pay off their high-interest debts in the same way that I helped my mom pay off hers.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know of a platform that's good for lending money to friends? Like a microlending type thing almost? I have been very blessed the past 3-4 years and made a lot of money and spent very, very little (aside from my monitor addiction) and I would like to help some friends pay off their high-interest debts in the same way that I helped my mom pay off hers.
Venmo, Zelle, etc and a “friend” handshake.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I meant more significant sums. I wanna be able to blank out their debts and get repaid in a structured manner.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My dad had lent some money to friends/family. Based on his experience this is a fantastic plan to fuck up your relationships with these people. Gift or don't gift, but lending will create future stress when inevitably someone misinterprets where the personal/business boundaries are.

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Don't

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
He isn't. This is just another made up thing he came up with. Mist works at Wal Mart, has no friends and no money to give out.

I mean, he could have simply Googled it, but he comes here to SJW himself or whatever.

Weirdo.

• 1Truth!

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only lend money to family and friends if you are okay with never getting it back.

• 6Like
  • 3Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I meant more significant sums. I wanna be able to blank out their debts and get repaid in a structured manner.
Sure sounds like usury. What’s your opinion on central banking and do you enjoy rollerblading?

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
He isn't. This is just another made up thing he came up with. Mist works at Wal Mart, has no friends and no money to give out.

I mean, he could have simply Googled it, but he comes here to SJW himself or whatever.

Weirdo.
I did google it and came up with a bunch of bad answers.

And I did get the expected response of "Don't."

joz123

Potato del Grande
San Diego Bike GIF

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I did google it and came up with a bunch of bad answers.

And I did get the expected response of "Don't."
Well, expect them to not repay you. If you consider the loan a gift, then fine. If you expect them to repay you, expect to be very let down.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I can't stand Mist Mist as much as anyone, but if it wants to throw its money and/or friendships away then who gives a shit?

"DON'T!!" doesn't answer the actual question in any way.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"Don't" is the obvious and expected response. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered an outlier outcome, perhaps using a feature native to one of the major payment apps that I'm not aware of. Denamian Denamian can shaw this if he wants.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m trying to understand why you need a platform to facilitate these loans?

Fucker

Log Wizard
"Don't" is the obvious and expected response. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered an outlier outcome, perhaps using a feature native to one of the major payment apps that I'm not aware of. Denamian Denamian can shaw this if he wants.
Don't is the expected response because it is the correct response. Everyone who has done it has gotten stiffed. Once you get stiffed, also expect to really not want that person or person in your life any more.

I gave my niece a loan to consolidate all her shitty debt. 0% interest, very easy terms. I knew she'd flake, and flake she did. I warned her up front that if she failed to meet her end of the bargain, she'd never get help from me for anything ever again.

Keep in mind that in the past I'd given her my nice used SUV, and I furnished her apartment. Now she's up shit creek without a paddle because I was the last person on Earth who was willing to dig her out of her shitty decisions, and that is all gone now.

I consider it a cheap way of getting an egghead out of my life for good.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There is some nuance and it depends on the relationships. Give money to family and women, the only time lending works is when you are a man and have a brotherly bond with another man who you know will legitimately take it as a point of honor and loyalty to repay you.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Based on his experience this is a fantastic plan to fuck up your relationships with these people. Gift or don't gift, but lending will create future stress when inevitably someone misinterprets where the personal/business boundaries are.