Lending money to friends?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I’m trying to understand why you need a platform to facilitate these loans?
Either 1. Because he’s a grabbler and needs legal recourse if not repaid or 2. This entire thread is part of his larp.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Don't is the expected response because it is the correct response. Everyone who has done it has gotten stiffed. Once you get stiffed, also expect to really not want that person or person in your life any more.

I gave my niece a loan to consolidate all her shitty debt. 0% interest, very easy terms. I knew she'd flake, and flake she did. I warned her up front that if she failed to meet her end of the bargain, she'd never get help from me for anything ever again.

Keep in mind that in the past I'd given her my nice used SUV, and I furnished her apartment. Now she's up shit creek without a paddle because I was the last person on Earth who was willing to dig her out of her shitty decisions, and that is all gone now.

I consider it a cheap way of getting an egghead out of my life for good.
I don’t even loan people things I own. Want to borrow my camera gear? Naw. Want to borrow my chainsaw? Naw, happy to cut that down tree for you though.

Life gets way easier when you don’t lend people anything other than your time. Unironically when you end up lending people your time it’s actually an investment in that relationship.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
do it with an official signed contract or you'll just fuck things up. you'll probably have to sue one of them eventually anyway.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Also if these are your personal friends why do you need a fucking app? Apps are stupid and retarded, you don’t need to bring some software faggot shit into this.

also again we all agree the answer is “don’t” any other option is lighting that shit on fire.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Mists lending money to friends?

Its fucked up you guys are giving my friend such a hard time about this

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mist Mist im in if you’re in!

1700698163741.jpeg

• 2Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Moobs or get the fuck out.

Any relative asks me for money, I tell them to fuck right off.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Mist can I get 20k to pay off debts i’ll pay you right back

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Worf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
"Don't" is the obvious and expected response. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered an outlier outcome, perhaps using a feature native to one of the major payment apps that I'm not aware of. Denamian Denamian can shaw this if he wants.

Outside of the obvious don't answer (seriously, I have seen this type of situation destroy several friendships and family relations), I have personal experience in something like this working all of once.

In my early 20's I bought a car off a friend of my dad's. I was in desperate need of a more reliable car than the clunker I was driving, but I was making shit for money at the time. The guy was fine with me paying it off over the course of a year knowing that my dad would step in if I fucked up. His wife, however, was not. To satisfy her, we put together a promissory note with a payment schedule and the car as collateral. I paid it off in 10 months, partially thanks to him needing computer help from time to time.

Every other time I have seen someone loan money to a friend or family, it has at best put serious strain on the relationship. Don't do this unless you are prepared to lose those friends in addition to losing the money.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
"Don't" is the obvious and expected response. I was just wondering if anyone had encountered an outlier outcome, perhaps using a feature native to one of the major payment apps that I'm not aware of. Denamian Denamian can shaw this if he wants.
Don't is the correct answer. But if you are bound and determined to fuck whatever relationships you have up beyond repair, you are going to have to do it the old fashioned way, by getting a lawyer involved and getting a proper contract drawn up. Take collateral if you actually want your money back.

Ishad Ishad said it correctly, only give out money to friends and family if you are okay with never seeing it again.

• 1Like

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
if you loan someone $20 and you never hear from them again, it was probably worth it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only did this once and I had a notarized loan agreement drawn up (also for tax reasons for both parties).

Don't use a fucking app, if the thought of having to read and sign paperwork and actually commit to stuff scares off the other person, well then you know why they're in debt and will be forever.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would never loan money to someone who had no money and needed that sort of cash. I would - and have - loan money to friends who make 7 figures per year and are simply floating something between sales/income because I know they are financially responsible and can/will pay it back.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have done this twice for family. Both times I got a solicitor involved. Before I gave them the money, they had to agree to a repayment schedule and acknowledge that they owed me. The lawyer fees were minimal. The loans I gave were life changing. If they had not paid me back (they did) I had legal recourse to pursue it. I don't know that I would have, but it was still the right decision to involve a lawyer. And for more than one reason. It made the transaction "official." And it being official means the person being given the money knows the responsibility to pay it back is there. And the mere knowledge of debt owed is often all the catalyst that people need to make it happen.

The other side of this is that you should not lend a sum that debilitates you and your prospects.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I suppose I should caveat my previous comments by saying my dad actually took his mortgage out from his father, because he wanted a non-standard structure and got a favorable rate. I don't know if they involved a lawyer but the whole thing was paid off in 5 years and no one mentioned it again, so I assume it all went fine.

I think the rules are a bit different if you're talking about nuclear family.