Let's all go to the lobby - The Culinary Experience

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
cold oil like in the fridge? no i believe why you think thats a myth is b/c when you cook with a wok you don't cook on med-heat, you turn it to 11
nobody puts oil in the fridge, "cold" oil means it didnt warm up with the pan. you get the pain hot then add the room temperature (COLD OMG!) oil. its a thing, google it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nobody puts oil in the fridge, "cold" oil means it didnt warm up with the pan. you get the pain hot then add the room temperature (COLD OMG!) oil. its a thing, google it.
maybe youre thinking about putting protein on an already hot plate, so it sears the protein, instead of putting the protein in a cold plate and then turning on the heat, which would actually "boil" the meat.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe youre thinking about putting protein on an already hot plate, so it sears the protein, instead of putting the protein in a cold plate and then turning on the heat, which would actually "boil" the meat.
you dont make the pan super hot, i never get my pans that hot unless i'm making steaks, you do medium , wait maybe 4 or 5 minutes then add the oil, it doesnt boil. you just want the pan lubed up. if you make chicken or something then add a lot more oil.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you dont make the pan super hot, i never get my pans that hot unless i'm making steaks, you do medium , wait maybe 4 or 5 minutes then add the oil, it doesnt boil. you just want the pan lubed up. if you make chicken or something then add a lot more oil.
the protein will boil if you drop it into a cold plate which is why everyone says drop proteins onto a hot plate, and then maybe from there some weird myth about cold oil in a hot pan developed...

not like it matters for you, youre italian, you cook with olive oil which has the lowest smoke point of all the oils.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the protein will boil if you drop it into a cold plate which is why everyone says drop proteins onto a hot plate, and then maybe from there some weird myth about cold oil in a hot pan developed...

not like it matters for you, youre italian, you cook with olive oil which has the lowest smoke point of all the oils.
yes, thats the point of cooking with oilive oil. i use other oil for different foods. peanut oil is awesome with french fries.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
@Amod a better thread title would be The Faggotry Files: Adventures in Overmoderation.
I'm not searching through 10 movie threads to check the brand name of olive oil you scrubs are cooking your popcorn in this week. A one stop shop for the lazy was the only solution.
The Final Solution if you will.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not searching through 10 movie threads to check the brand name of olive oil you scrubs are cooking your popcorn in this week. A one stop shop for the lazy was the only solution.
The Final Solution if you will.

Well this scrub doesn't even use oil. I have a cheapass silicon bowl that I toss some popcorn in and throw it in the microwave. Add butter and salt after.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
lately i've totally switched to using all canola oil for cooking, i mainly use my wok and it gets too hot for the pathetic smoke point of olive oil, and when i do use the stove i've switched over to carbon steel there as well and i've heard a theory that wheat based oils (canola) will keep the seasoning better vs berry (olive) oils.

Have you tried peanut oil? Been liking that for my carbon steel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have you tried peanut oil? Been liking that for my carbon steel.
yea i mainly reserve peanut oil for frys or specific "regions" of cooking

like i'll use the peanut oil when i'm cooking w/ sichuan peppercorns cuz they need high heat to bring out the flavor or marinated beef.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use grapeseed oil on my Matfer and De Buyer carbon steel pans.
the more i use the matfer the more i like the de buyer i have

think i'll buy another de buyer if i see one on sale, but i don't have enough hooks now, i used all 10 for the pot rack

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
the more i use the matfer the more i like the de buyer i have

think i'll buy another de buyer if i see one on sale, but i don't have enough hooks now, i used all 10 for the pot rack

I like my De Buyer more as well, but I also use it more since I got a smaller one to do eggs in for breakfast. It does have the rubber in the handle that I'd take out if you're using it in a 400+ degree oven.