Let's become british spies AKA logic puzzles challenge

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean fuck it, maybe there isn't, if you're going to be a spy you should know how to brute force an answer sometimes.

#waterboardingservers

Palum

what Suineg set it to
lol ok well

Quick google search and a whois returns this for the domain cub-zone-often.org.uk:

Domain name:
cub-zone-often.org.uk

Registrant:
CESG

Registrant type:
UK Government Body

Registrant's address:
c/o GCHQ, Hubble Road
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL51 0EX
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 16-Feb-2015

Registrar:
CESG [Tag = CESG]

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 20-Nov-2015
Expiry date: 20-Nov-2017
Last updated: 27-Nov-2015

So yea, GCHQ just registered it.

We just need the last word on the last question now, answers two and three are ZONE and OFTEN obviously. These guys ARE amateurs...

Troll_sl

shitlord
Q3 are names. I'm also thinking they have to do with the phonetic alphabet.

"VICTOR" MATURE

"----" LOVE

"OSCAR" WILDE

"CHARLIE" BUCKET

"----" BECKHAM

ZULU

iannis

Musty Nester
torrent could be a noun or a verb, the others are singularly either nouns or verbs. By that criteria it's odd. Althougth I suppose saffron is possibly a noun or adjective, so it's not unique.

Szlia

1) Withdraw as sailors hold festive sing-song
2) It receives a worker and returns a queen <---- CELL as in the honeycomb cell where a worker's larvae is fed to become a queen?
3) Try and sing medley of violin parts <---- ALTO both a type of violine and a singing voice range
4) Fit for capture <---- I want to say PAWN but what vertical word would have a LTW sequence?
5)
6)
7) ?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Q3 are names. I'm also thinking they have to do with the phonetic alphabet.

"VICTOR" MATURE

"----" LOVE

"OSCAR" WILDE

"CHARLIE" BUCKET

"----" BECKHAM

ZULU
Still doesn't make sense as it's david beckham right? David is the one without any NATO phonetic alphabet then.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK so only one with last name instead of first name as radio alphabet. OK.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1) Withdraw as sailors hold festive sing-song
2) It receives a worker and returns a queen <---- CELL as in the honeycomb cell where a worker's larvae is fed to become a queen?
3) Try and sing medley of violin parts <---- ALTO both a type of violine and a singing voice range
4) Fit for capture <---- I want to say PAWN but what vertical word would have a LTW sequence?
5)
6)
7) ?
Wait...don't they all need to be 7 word long answers for 7 clues?

Szlia

I assumed the crossword puzzle did not have to be 7x7. As I found two decent answer in 4 letters, I went for 7x4 (also at a somewhat meta level, it's a lot easier to craft the puzzle with a 7x4 than with a 7x7).

And Troll's solution for the Shaka riddle is probably the one they expected (Victor Mature, Mike Love, Oscar Wilde, Charlie Bucket, Romeo Beckham, Shaka Zulu).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I assumed the crossword puzzle did not have to be 7x7. As I found two decent answer in 4 letters, I went for 7x4 (also at a somewhat meta level, it's a lot easier to craft the puzzle with a 7x4 than with a 7x7).
Makes sense

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's seven though. Maybe that's just how they make them in the Islamic State of Britain.

Szlia

Maybe I got the problem wrong, but my understanding is that we have 4 of the 7 definition for the across words and none of the X definitions for the down words and that the only way to find the 7th across word is to find the X down words that starts with the 4 letters we get from the 4 across words and that make actual X letters word on lines 5, 6 and 7 (with 7 being the answer).

I am not sure if I am being clear...

Troll_sl

shitlord
We know the down-word(s) are 7 letters long. The clues all have equal-length answers. We don't know how long those will be.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Watching you guys come up with these answers makes me feel like a dumbass.

Wasn't Chicada supposed to return sometime this year?