Let's talk classics.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I watched Escape from New York a few night ago.

It's a concentrated package of early 80's awesome!!

I've had that keyboard theme music running through my head all the time now.

Oh and a side note: There's a shot in it that sent me cold. The hijacked airforce one flying towards NYC, well there's a shot that shows it getting there, the twin towers of the World Trade Center with the plane heading towards them. It crashes elsewhere in the city, but still yikes.I tried to find a screen grab of it online, but couldn't.

tumblr_m6m6oaTf071qzvpd0o1_1280.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Umm, not the scene, appreciate the effort.

Got some grabs, the image is in itself quite dark, the plane is moving in the footage so that makes it more visible, so I put up 2 shots, hoping to high light the direction of travel.

DQFh0KG.jpg

Epo1l14.jpg

As you can see, a large jetliner flying low and straight at the twin towers. Yikes

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
didn't wanna make a new thread for this but a bunch of people from the Godfather reunited at the Tribeca film festival last night and had a 90 minute panel to reminisce about filming the first two movies. Its only on facebook at the moment, if it gets a youtube version I'll change the link. One of my top 3 movies of all time so pretty amazing watching Coppola, De Niro, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall talk about the movie. RIP Abe Vigoda

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I second Casablanca . Love this movie and its famous quotes.
Cemetery Man I am not sure I would consider this a classic per say but its a vastly underappreciated/unknown film.
Shane This movie always gets me.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Casablanca (as others have mentioned)
Big Trouble in Little China
Godfather 1 & 2
The Great Escape (WW2 prison break with everyone who was anyone in Hollywood at the time)
Seven Samurai
Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai in the old West)
Dr. Strangelove

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
didn't wanna make a new thread for this but a bunch of people from the Godfather reunited at the Tribeca film festival last night and had a 90 minute panel to reminisce about filming the first two movies. Its only on facebook at the moment, if it gets a youtube version I'll change the link. One of my top 3 movies of all time so pretty amazing watching Coppola, De Niro, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall talk about the movie. RIP Abe Vigoda

Lost all respect for De Niro
Hightower owns a coffee company, Coffees of Rwanda, of which De Niro is an investor. Word is that the company, which is five years old, is hemorrhaging money, and sounds kind of directionless; whatever the situation is, De Niro is apparently pissed.

Hightower and De Niro got into it in public while at a bar in Manhattan, and De Niro is said to have dropped a major truth bomb mid-argument: "I wouldn’t have to keep making s - - tty movies if you didn’t spend all my money!"

she looks like a man Troll, da fuq is wrong with him?
robert-deniro-wife

Caliane

I was astounded how good Casablanca is, when I first saw it back in college. Most old movies you can watch for nostalgia, history etc, but yeah, hard to watch for enjoyment, or interest. I found Casablanca genuinely still good and watchable. If it was on TV, I would still watch it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I bought a nice copy of Casablanca on Blu-ray. I still watch it at least once a year. Rick is the bomb.

Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all time favorite movies. Kurt is a bad ass. It's all in the reflexes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have had younger friends roll their eyes when I tell them to watch Casablanca. Almost all of them admit afterwards what a great movie it is.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Yeah, that's a gap in my viewing history.

I've never seen Casablanca, I will make an effort due to the positive comments here.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
List of stuff I like in no particular order or real commentary.

-Three Days of the Condor
-The French Connection
-The Friends of Eddie Coyle
-Chinatown
-In the Heat of the Night
-Marathon Man
-Apocalypse Now
-Carnal Knowledge
-The Deer Hunter
-Deathwish
-Midnight Run
-The Conversation
-Kramer vs Kramer

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There Will Be Blood was already mentioned, really love all things Paul Thomas Anderson.

- Inherent Vice
- There Will Be Blood
- Punch-Drunk Love
- Magnolia
- Boogie Nights
- Hard Eight

Hard Eight also goes by Sydney in some regions. It's got Sam Jackson, John C Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in 1996. All of his movies have great casts, though he's a big fan of re-using 'his guys' too.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
stridulum.jpg

Stridulum (The Visitor) Filmed 1972 Released 1979

Italian-made movie. Features Space Jesus and God doing battle against an intergalatic demon named Sateen. Has Lance Henriksen (Bishop, Aliens) and Shelley Winters.
Kind of hard to describe, but entertaining as fuck.

iannis

Musty Nester
I was astounded how good Casablanca is, when I first saw it back in college. Most old movies you can watch for nostalgia, history etc, but yeah, hard to watch for enjoyment, or interest. I found Casablanca genuinely still good and watchable. If it was on TV, I would still watch it.

The hardest thing about watching Casablanca is wanting to watch it.

Once you pass that hurdle the movie is just a gem.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anything by Scorsese is an instant classic. I have recently been re-watching The Aviator and it is one of my favorite movies. Leo should have won best actor for that over his role in The Revenant. For that matter Gangs of New York was better than the Revenant and even though DDL stole the show Leo was great in it as well.

Might as well add in some Kubrick while we're at it. The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are fucking awesome. I'm told A Clockwork Orange, 2001:A Space Odyssey, and Dr. Strangelove are as well, but I watched them all when I was young and didn't really get them. Maybe I should try them again now.

Cybsled

If we are talking old classics, Dr. Strangelove and Yojimbo are awesome.

• 1Like