Liquors & Cocktails

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For XMas my uncle gave me a bottle of some Knob Creek cask strength from a barrel that he actually picked out himself (with some buddies of his) at the distillery. Its pretty good! Tastes like fire.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
For XMas my uncle gave me a bottle of some Knob Creek cask strength from a barrel that he actually picked out himself (with some buddies of his) at the distillery. Its pretty good! Tastes like fire.
Knob Creek is damn good, I haven't had their cask strength but I'll need to look next time I'm out.

I am currently drinking some Johnny Walker Blue Label I got in the work's Christmas gift-basket. It is good, but I would never spend this type of money on a bottle for myself. I can name plenty of bourbons and other scotches to buy and drink that are much less expensive and much more unique and complex.

Picking up a bottle of Angel's Envy Rye and a bottle of Eagle Rare Antique 17yr tomorrow. Going to be a great day!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That is a very smokey flavored Scotch right?
The smokiest I've ever had. Those are my favorites. Thankfully, less than half the bottle was killed at the party. Left me plenty for down the road.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I tried that one. I don't care for the smokey flavor at all.

Tenks

Not a huge smokey scotch lover either. I do love a peaty scotch, though.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If you liked that you'll love Sazerac Rye, should be able to find a 6 year for $60 or so and it's excellent. I actually prefer it to van winkle!

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you liked that you'll love Sazerac Rye, should be able to find a 6 year for $60 or so and it's excellent. I actually prefer it to van winkle!
$60? Fuck me that's a $25 bottle two years ago. Edit: checked total wine and price is $30.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Isn't eagle rare 17 selling for like $2000 on the secondary market

Edit: $900
There are a few places in Kentucky where bottles are still available (you have to specifically ask, won't be on the shelves). They go for about $120-150 a bottle (I believe MSRP is $120). You can find bottles for about $400-500 from resellers in the Louisville area.

Looks like the place I was headed to got rid of the 2 they had left. So to wash down my sorrows of not getting a bottle, went to my favorite cigar bar and smoked a Liga Privada No. 9 and a Arturo Fuente 'Between The Lines' and had a few glasses of (2015) Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch, Barrel Strength. Such a damn phenomenal bourbon (their 2013 release was easily better than any Pappy I've had), but I'll have to wait until around late April/May for their next release.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like we talked about this before but thoughts on Trader Joes scotch? I'm almost out of my Macallan stash and looking for something sub $30 that's good to drink. I'd take other suggestions as well.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's not bad at all, but I think you'd be happier with a 750 of Glenlivet 12 or somesuch. Just stay away from the TJ's blended scotch--bleh!

Tenks

I read somewhere that Ohio's liquor laws make it difficult to get a bunch of different kinds of liquor. A reason TJ and Costco don't sell liquor here. Like if you get a license for Jack Daniels that doesn't apply to everything they make. You need to do paperwork for JD Black, JD single barrel, JD honey, JD [insert anything else] so many companies don't bother with small production run stuff. Kind of a pain in the ass. It wasn't a big deal when I lived in Cincinnati since I could just go across the river to KY.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not bad at all, but I think you'd be happier with a 750 of Glenlivet 12 or somesuch. Just stay away from the TJ's blended scotch--bleh!
That's a good choice but definitely looking for something new... which obviously you don't know what is new unless I listed every scotch I ever drank haha.

I will stay away from the TJs blended scotch though, thanks for the tip.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I read somewhere that Ohio's liquor laws make it difficult to get a bunch of different kinds of liquor. A reason TJ and Costco don't sell liquor here. Like if you get a license for Jack Daniels that doesn't apply to everything they make. You need to do paperwork for JD Black, JD single barrel, JD honey, JD [insert anything else] so many companies don't bother with small production run stuff. Kind of a pain in the ass. It wasn't a big deal when I lived in Cincinnati since I could just go across the river to KY.
Ohio's liquor situation is bogus. Youhaveto go to KY to get anything worth a shit. All there is in Cincy is like...Staggerlee's.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been really getting into making cocktails at home lately so if any of you have any favorite homemade recipes or preferred liquors let this be the place.

Big fan of Pimm's Cups so that was one of the first ones I've mastered. My recipe:

2 oz Pimm's
0.5 oz lemon juice
0.5 oz Cointreau
4 oz ginger beer
garnish with cucumber and spearmint

If you want to make it boozier add 0.5-1 oz of gin/vodka. I prefer gin. If you ever find St George Terroir, pick it up. It's delicious in stuff like this. Very herbal and piney. About as opposite of dry as it gets. Glad it's local because a ton of bars have it here too.

st_george_gin_terroir.gif

If that's not available, you may be able to find Leopold's Navy Strength. It's on the same end of the spectrum.

1092762x.jpg

1092762x.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I've been really getting into making cocktails at home lately so if any of you have any favorite homemade recipes or preferred liquors let this be the place.

Big fan of Pimm's Cups so that was one of the first ones I've mastered. My recipe:

2 oz Pimm's
0.5 oz lemon juice
0.5 oz Cointreau
4 oz ginger beer
garnish with cucumber and spearmint

If you want to make it boozier add 0.5-1 oz of gin/vodka. I prefer gin. If you ever find St George Terroir, pick it up. It's delicious in stuff like this. Very herbal and piney. About as opposite of dry as it gets. Glad it's local because a ton of bars have it here too.

If that's not available, you may be able to find Leopold's Navy Strength. It's on the same end of the spectrum.

1092762x.jpg

Pappy approves of your Gin selection. Had to post this as I just finished my last bottle and I am sad but also happy. But your Gin selection is on point

DcbGJ3f.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I just tried a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey and thought it was great.

dev-here-honey.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user