Liquors & Cocktails

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
@ ginfags, Gin is fucking amazing with cucumber & mint, muddled, shaken, and strained.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Alex Alex , i see your luxardo cherry liquor.

You can make some badass Black Cherry manhattans with that.

Never tried it like that. I really only use it for Aviations. As you can tell, I love the gin drinks. Confirmed gin fag.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Hendricks is a fine gin. But Plymouth tends to be my goto martini gin- they also make a quite fine sloe gin that is quite delicious with just some club soda or even on the rocks.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I could use some recommendations, I have neglected my stash for a while and need to restock. My home bar philosophy is pretty basic. I like to have a good value product for mixing and shots and a decent mid range product for straight/rocks or people trying to be fancy-pants.

What am I missing you guys would consider essential?

This is what I currently have:

Bourbon:
Weller's 90, Elmer T. Lee

Scotch:
Highland 12, laphroaig 10

Vodka:
Tito's

Gin:
Beefeater

Tequila:
herradura anejo

Rum:
Sailor jerry, mt. gay

I don't need any high end suggestions. Whatever top shelf shit I have I don't even keep at the bar so it's out of reach of the drunken savages. This way I don't run the risk of needing to murder a co-worker the next time I see them after a party.

I'm jealous you have some Elmer's- haven't seen that in a year or two here. I'd get some rye personally. I go through Jim Beam Rye like water- it's cheap, mixes well and is generally more drinkable than the bourbon varieties. Mid range is tricky- Templeton probably. Then i'd get like some fernet, maybe campari- MAYBE some absinthe. Some "high end" vermouth can be fun. I was hooked on Manhattans with VYA red vermouth for awhile. That gin- pretty much tonic bait. Better options mentioned already

Tim

Molten Core Raider
I'm jealous you have some Elmer's- haven't seen that in a year or two here. I'd get some rye personally. I go through Jim Beam Rye like water- it's cheap, mixes well and is generally more drinkable than the bourbon varieties. Mid range is tricky- Templeton probably. Then i'd get like some fernet, maybe campari- MAYBE some absinthe. Some "high end" vermouth can be fun. I was hooked on Manhattans with VYA red vermouth for awhile. That gin- pretty much tonic bait. Better options mentioned already

I was lucky enough to get a case of elmer when I heard he died since I wasn't sure if they were going to keep making it. They are, but I haven't seen any on the shelves in TX this year. The local Total Wine will get a lone case every once in a while but it goes fast. If I get down to my last bottle, its coming out of the bar and going into my private stash.

Haka

N00b
Totally worth it if you like gin (or vodka) mojitos to grow some fresh mint at home. Even in my puny apt, I can fit a tiny pot with mint, and it's easy enough to grow.

I find a lot of people muddle the mint too much, you don't need to destroy it to bits. A bartender once showed me to take a bunch of the leaves and slap them in the palm of your hand, this apparently shocks them, then you only need to gently muddle in your glass a couple times (with the ice and sugar, in the case of a mojito).

Also when you go to retrieve your mint from your liquor garnish plant pot you feel extra professional and it impresses the womenz.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Been wanting to try some sipping rum. Came to ask for recommendations and saw your post. Picked up El Dorado 15 for 35 bucks.

Nice price! Funny how rum is so much cheaper than whiskey when it comes down to age statements.

Let me know what you think. Rum is definitely a different taste in comparison to whiskey. You will need to try Zaya also. It's a blended rum, but fantastically well balanced.

Haka

N00b
FYI Tuesday was apparently International Rum Day. I think people will understand if you show up late though.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
I am a huge fan of EH Taylor. It is a Buffalo Trace brand, but the single barrel and barrel proof (the two I tried) are spectacular. They tend to be on the sweeter side with a lot of vanilla and caramel in the taste. Kind of pricey, but worth it for neat/rocks.
Link:E.H. Taylor, Jr. Collection

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
What sort of cuck drinks Old Fashioned's infused with Pineapple?

sheet dawg; muddled pineapple, orange slice, italian cherry, and bulleit makes an amazing old fashioned. come at me.

Also for gin fags, a blackberry martini:

mint
muddled blackberry
2oz gin
.5 triplesec
.5 lime jews
double strain

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Totally worth it if you like gin (or vodka) mojitos to grow some fresh mint at home. Even in my puny apt, I can fit a tiny pot with mint, and it's easy enough to grow.

I find a lot of people muddle the mint too much, you don't need to destroy it to bits. A bartender once showed me to take a bunch of the leaves and slap them in the palm of your hand, this apparently shocks them, then you only need to gently muddle in your glass a couple times (with the ice and sugar, in the case of a mojito).

Also when you go to retrieve your mint from your liquor garnish plant pot you feel extra professional and it impresses the womenz.

I've thought about growing my own mint so this is promising news. I typically just slap it a little bit and that brings out the flavor enough.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel since I saw a few people recommend it. My wife says it looks girly heh.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel since I saw a few people recommend it. My wife says it looks girly heh.
Drink it and enjoy it then hit her with it.

Seriously though hope you like it. I think it's my favorite for the price.

Cheers.
9DzG8D5.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Drink it and enjoy it then hit her with it.

Seriously though hope you like it. I think it's my favorite for the price.

Cheers.
View attachment 2255

I just finished off my bottle of Flor De Cana tonight. Now your making me want to go pick up some El Dorado.

Let me know what you think of the El Dorado, but I am going to assume you'll like it.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I just finished off my bottle of Flor De Cana tonight. Now your making me want to go pick up some El Dorado.

Let me know what you think of the El Dorado, but I am going to assume you'll like it.

I really enjoyed it. It was much more subdued than the cheap overly flavored sugar stuff like Captain's or Sailor Jerry. It was almost syrupy in consistency at first but with very little to no after taste. I can definitely see this becoming a staple.

Cheers.
Just tried the Toki predominantly smells of Green apples. Taste is slightly green apple, white pepper, honey, and ginger. I enjoyed it.

krwncSy.jpg

Also having some of this. It's excellent.

mFom8qt.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I really enjoyed it. It was much more subdued than the cheap overly flavored sugar stuff like Captain's or Sailor Jerry. It was almost syrupy in consistency at first but with very little to no after taste. I can definitely see this becoming a staple.

Cheers.
Just tried the Toki predominantly smells of Green apples. Taste is slightly green apple, white pepper, honey, and ginger. I enjoyed it.

View attachment 2393

Also having some of this. It's excellent.

View attachment 2394

Was drinking Blanton's last night myself. I was contemplating picking up some of the Toki, but all the reviews I read said it was average at best. I may have to try it

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I am not going to say it was the greatest whiskey I have ever had. It was enjoyable though and If you don't mind spending 40 bucks to try something I don't think you will be disappointed.