LitRPG

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Has anyone read the Surgecaller series? Thus far it's seems OK, 1/4 the way of book one.
I’ve read them, they are OK. Honestly it’s one that is OK while reading but now that I’m current I’ll probably forget all about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Still really enjoying the Ripple System books. Just released book 4 a couple of weeks ago, and most of the time I’m kind of bored with a litrpg series by then. Not with this one though, it’s a good blend of humor and action that hasn’t yet fallen into the “numbers get bigger and that’s the story” trap most litrpg authors end up stuck on.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
If any of you guys are interested, book 6 of Dungeon Crawler Carl is out. Audiobook release date is September 1st.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Still really enjoying the Ripple System books. Just released book 4 a couple of weeks ago, and most of the time I’m kind of bored with a litrpg series by then. Not with this one though, it’s a good blend of humor and action that hasn’t yet fallen into the “numbers get bigger and that’s the story” trap most litrpg authors end up stuck on.
Ok, so I downloaded these from KU because of you, and so far I've finished two books. After the huge letdown of the final Murderhobo book, maybe I'm being overly generous, but this is fucking great. Exactly what I needed. Frank is one of my favorite characters in any book of all time I think. Donut might be better, but Frank is on like every fucking page and is consistently awesome. I am sure some people will find him grating and ruin the series for them, but not me. I could read nothing but Frank fucking with people, over and over. And House is awesome in a different way. Hopefully they don't "evolve" her too much in the next books I haven't gotten to yet. I just read the part where she threatened Frank over the cats, and I almost peed myself laughing. The main character, Ned, is good enough, allowing the other awesome characters to be awesome without getting in the way.

For those that haven't read it yet, I whole-heartedly support Ritley's recommendation. Aside from the characters, THIS is what I always thought litrpg really should be, not <insert generic entity inevitably named System> suddenly terraforms/transports/magics all humans into a game world. This is a fucking MMORPG with immersive VR, people form groups and raids, tanks grab aggro, nukers melt targets down while trying not to draw aggro, healers keep ping-ponging health bars up, mobs and bosses have mechanics just like in the games, loot drops and raid leaders distribute it, etc. Yes, there are stats and skills to read through, but no different than if you were leveling up in EQ and reached a new level and got to choose a new skill. I cannot think of another litrpg series that actually does lit-mmorpg correctly like this one does. It seems the genre has been inundated lately with characters that perpetually need to get stronger (well, yeah, all rpg is that to be fair) both with combat and with bullshit hippy meditation over the course of countless years, with a usually somehow snarky System (which makes almost no sense most of the time) ruling over everything. At least Frank being snarky makes sense, not some all-powerful god-system. If anyone knows of any other series that is like this one, I'd love to hear about them.

I know this is already tl;dr, but one other thing I noticed eventually with this series that I think helps a lot over so many of the others, and is a brilliant move by the author (and kudos to him for being able to pull it off so well too), is that instead of the MC going over shit in his head all the time for pages and pages, thinking about how to increase their power or whatever, Ned talks it over with Frank at all times. Like they always say, show don't tell. Well in this case showing is them having a conversation about it, whereas telling would be the endless internal monologues of other books. Everything Ned does, Frank and him talk about. Sure he occasionally thinks about stuff, but 9 times out of 10 Frank will say something like, "You're smiling for seemingly no reason. You know I hate that. Stop it. Unless you're smiling because we're about to bathe in the blood of our enemies after we gloriously slaughter them, then keep doing it."

• 1Solidarity

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
No one's read The Land? I figured it was already pretty popular as far as litrps go. It was the first series that got me into them.

Chaos Seeds

Also Dungeon Lord by Hugo Huesca is pretty good if you like soundbooth studio (Jeff Hayes)

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ok, so I downloaded these from KU because of you, and so far I've finished two books. After the huge letdown of the final Murderhobo book, maybe I'm being overly generous, but this is fucking great. Exactly what I needed. Frank is one of my favorite characters in any book of all time I think. Donut might be better, but Frank is on like every fucking page and is consistently awesome. I am sure some people will find him grating and ruin the series for them, but not me. I could read nothing but Frank fucking with people, over and over. And House is awesome in a different way. Hopefully they don't "evolve" her too much in the next books I haven't gotten to yet. I just read the part where she threatened Frank over the cats, and I almost peed myself laughing. The main character, Ned, is good enough, allowing the other awesome characters to be awesome without getting in the way.

For those that haven't read it yet, I whole-heartedly support Ritley's recommendation. Aside from the characters, THIS is what I always thought litrpg really should be, not <insert generic entity inevitably named System> suddenly terraforms/transports/magics all humans into a game world. This is a fucking MMORPG with immersive VR, people form groups and raids, tanks grab aggro, nukers melt targets down while trying not to draw aggro, healers keep ping-ponging health bars up, mobs and bosses have mechanics just like in the games, loot drops and raid leaders distribute it, etc. Yes, there are stats and skills to read through, but no different than if you were leveling up in EQ and reached a new level and got to choose a new skill. I cannot think of another litrpg series that actually does lit-mmorpg correctly like this one does. It seems the genre has been inundated lately with characters that perpetually need to get stronger (well, yeah, all rpg is that to be fair) both with combat and with bullshit hippy meditation over the course of countless years, with a usually somehow snarky System (which makes almost no sense most of the time) ruling over everything. At least Frank being snarky makes sense, not some all-powerful god-system. If anyone knows of any other series that is like this one, I'd love to hear about them.

I know this is already tl;dr, but one other thing I noticed eventually with this series that I think helps a lot over so many of the others, and is a brilliant move by the author (and kudos to him for being able to pull it off so well too), is that instead of the MC going over shit in his head all the time for pages and pages, thinking about how to increase their power or whatever, Ned talks it over with Frank at all times. Like they always say, show don't tell. Well in this case showing is them having a conversation about it, whereas telling would be the endless internal monologues of other books. Everything Ned does, Frank and him talk about. Sure he occasionally thinks about stuff, but 9 times out of 10 Frank will say something like, "You're smiling for seemingly no reason. You know I hate that. Stop it. Unless you're smiling because we're about to bathe in the blood of our enemies after we gloriously slaughter them, then keep doing it."
Frank remains frank. House does change some, but she’s still fun. Not in nearly as many scenes as Frank, but most of them are her fucking with Frank. It’s just low-stakes fun

• 1Like

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
No one's read The Land? I figured it was already pretty popular as far as litrps go. It was the first series that got me into them.

Chaos Seeds

Also Dungeon Lord by Hugo Huesca is pretty good if you like soundbooth studio (Jeff Hayes)
Ive read it great series until book 8, he hasnt written anything in ages.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Chaos Seeds

Maybe it isn't in this thread, but I'm sure we've talked about it before, as it got a lot of us into the genre I think. But yeah, it turned to shit with the last book or two, and now he hasn't written a fucking thing in years (unless he started something else I'm unaware of), and he got a bit of the Rothfuss/Martin mentality I think where he essentially says if you don't like it, go fuck yourself, and inevitably there are also his fanbois that defend him despite the entire last book being a complete waste of time, so I'll be avoiding anything he does from here on out.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Maybe it isn't in this thread, but I'm sure we've talked about it before, as it got a lot of us into the genre I think. But yeah, it turned to shit with the last book or two, and now he hasn't written a fucking thing in years (unless he started something else I'm unaware of), and he got a bit of the Rothfuss/Martin mentality I think where he essentially says if you don't like it, go fuck yourself, and inevitably there are also his fanbois that defend him despite the entire last book being a complete waste of time, so I'll be avoiding anything he does from here on out.
He started a new series that's like 1 book in, I haven't checked in awhile because yeah nothing new. I scratched my head when I saw the new series and he said something like he was burnt out on The Land. Basically means he'll never finish anything.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I read quite a few of the Land, until it started to suck and the author got all cunty. Didn’t know he pulled a Martin though

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

If you want a series where the system was heavily inspired by EQ (6-man team cap, holy trinity, zone keying, dungeon-specific loot drops, boss raids with raid mechanics and legendary loot, etc), there is The Infinite Labyrinth (you can run webtoepub to get epubs for your kindle instead of reading it on RR):

Alternate history where "Stargates" open up in 1800, allowing people (those who have high enough stats to get a class) to enter the titular dimension. The Labyrinth runs an obvious game, but the regency-era people don't have a clue... and they also come back with the gear and the stats. Characters are a bit underdevelopped - and book 2 to 4 were never properly edited, so you only get draft 1 for those. But at least it is a completed story.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Chaos Seeds

I would very much like Hugo Huesca to write the next Dungeon Lord book.

He ended off with him being stuck on Earth with all his Dungeon Lord powers and that was bound to be great.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

He ended off with him being stuck on Earth with all his Dungeon Lord powers and that was bound to be great.
Are those the books with Kaz the troll chef? Soft-hearted, don't forget, as we are reminded hundreds of times. If so, I sort of thought it was over with? Or I'm mixing it up with the countless other shitrpg books I've read the past few years. Fuck, now that I think about it, I've barely read anything but in years. Where did I go wrong?!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't remember Kaz the Troll chef but there was that pretty funny Goblin Champion that keeps self-grandstanding and giving himself new titles.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't remember Kaz the Troll chef but there was that pretty funny Goblin Champion that keeps self-grandstanding and giving himself new titles.
Must be a different series then, you'd definitely remember Kaz. FOR THE SALT! Maybe I've never read the one you are talking about. I've definitely seen it on my KU at some point though, as I recognized the author's name.

• 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Are those the books with Kaz the troll chef? Soft-hearted, don't forget, as we are reminded hundreds of times. If so, I sort of thought it was over with? Or I'm mixing it up with the countless other shitrpg books I've read the past few years. Fuck, now that I think about it, I've barely read anything but in years. Where did I go wrong?!
Kaz is in the Rogue Dungeon series, I think? Guy from a fantasy world ends up Isekaied in a MMORPG as a mob, levels up by killing players only. He recruits a variety of Trolls, as they're the base mobs for the dungeon he spawned in.

It's been some time.

*EDIT* And yes, For the Salt is the battle shout indeed.

• 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

He basically fell off the writing scene with Covid. His editor exchanged words with him until he pretty much stopped talking. It think he got massive depression, as some people got during that time...

I would also like to see him dealing with Earth, as it's obvious stuff is going on there... but the series is never going to end, I'm afraid :(

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 was great, more of the same if you like it already.

Read all 4 currently available Ripple System books, and goddamn I want more. I could read 50 more books exactly like those. Compared to most litrpg I was also suddenly aware of how fucking well edited they were. No typos, no grammar issues, no repeated words/phrases, etc. This was the equivalent of a AAA game production, but in an indie game. All 4 of the books too, not just the most recent.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 was great, more of the same if you like it already.

Read all 4 currently available Ripple System books, and goddamn I want more. I could read 50 more books exactly like those. Compared to most litrpg I was also suddenly aware of how fucking well edited they were. No typos, no grammar issues, no repeated words/phrases, etc. This was the equivalent of a AAA game production, but in an indie game. All 4 of the books too, not just the most recent.
Waiting for the audiobook.