LitRPG

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Reborn apocalypse is pretty good.

Not sure what all you’ve read, but my favorites in the genre are dungeon crawler carl and ripple system. Ripple system is a VR MMO one so stakes are ultimately pretty low in the grand scheme of things, but it’s just a really fun read

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Now i have to decide what to read next.

Options on the table:

• Finishing book 1 of azerinth healer
  • Read the last few books of the ritualist
  • Path of ascension
  • The Land
  • Reborn apocalypse
  • System Change

Any other recommendations along the same lines are welcome.
Azarinth Healer is reasonably good after the rocky start, but I found myself slowly slipping away, and then simply stopped after a while (I have no idea how edited the AMZ version is vs the original Royal Road one).
Ritualist has been declining steadily from what I heard about the series (I skipped over the book 3 and following).
The Land, as commented, is up, down, up, CRASHANDBURNBABY.
Reborn Apocalypse is also heading down with number four (and last). The author had a big problem with book 3, which he took down to entirely rewrite, then took years to produce #4 which is a mess. It sits at 11% read on my kindle app, and I have had zero motivation to pick it up again, so I think I won't finish the series.

No comment on PoA or System Change, haven't read them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I went with system change. Fun so far. Different start for litrpg than I've seen. What's funny is I'm enjoying the verrrry start of the ability bloat that got so tiresome in defiance of the fall. Im a sucker for this garbage.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Now i have to decide what to read next.

Options on the table:

• Finishing book 1 of azerinth healer
  • Read the last few books of the ritualist
  • Path of ascension
  • The Land
  • Reborn apocalypse
  • System Change

Any other recommendations along the same lines are welcome.
I question your sanity about still wanting to read DotF, but I'm going to give it one more chance too I guess.

I sort of lost interest in Ritualist, and as previously discussed I read the first Azerinth Healer but have zero compulsion to read more. Or even remember what I read.

I cannot reiterate what the others have already said about The Land any harder. It has some absolutely fantastic segments. Then it sucks so bad, and the author is such a smug cunt, that you actually want to murder him. So if you can stop one or two books before the end, and never read any author's notes or peripheral stuff from him, you will love it and just have to pretend it is still awaiting more.

I really enjoy Path of Ascension. It isn't top tier like DCC or Ripple, but it is solid and I like all of the characters, the system, etc. And it has not in any way shape or form gotten bogged down in cultivation bullshit like DotF.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I went with system change. Fun so far. Different start for litrpg than I've seen. What's funny is I'm enjoying the verrrry start of the ability bloat that got so tiresome in defiance of the fall. Im a sucker for this garbage.
If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest giving Overgeared a try. It's a very involved web novel about a guy that plays the worlds best VR MMO and is terrible at it, only to eventually become pretty good. Great characters all around. Good battle sequences, good plot. Fantastic story. The book keeps evolving into things that you think might suck, but end up being interesting. Random callbacks to older events, but the story just keeps moving forward.

I have every chapter in Microsoft Word documents, or .mobi files for an ereader. I'd be happy to put them up again on my google drive after I get home.

Aside from that, you can read it on the licensed translation site here:

You're given 1 free chapter every 23 hours. The first 20 chapters are free, but the book was very weak until about chapter 100 due to the jealousy the MC has about virtually everyone else that can actually play the game while he sucks at it.

It strongly picks up from there.
Currently 2110 "free" chapters, with 4 released per week. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I really enjoy Path of Ascension. It isn't top tier like DCC or Ripple, but it is solid and I like all of the characters, the system, etc. And it has not in any way shape or form gotten bogged down in cultivation bullshit like DotF.
I dropped PoA awhile back myself. I’m not going to say it’s bad or question why some like it, but I eventually just found the complete lack of narrative tension to make it boring.

The MCs are never in any danger by default, and it never is a question on if they will win whatever they are doing, but if they will have to show any of their actual powers to do so.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I dropped PoA awhile back myself. I’m not going to say it’s bad or question why some like it, but I eventually just found the complete lack of narrative tension to make it boring.

The MCs are never in any danger by default, and it never is a question on if they will win whatever they are doing, but if they will have to show any of their actual powers to do so.
That's completely fair, and I don't disagree with your assessment. I often get a little bored with everyone around them essentially just doing training missions because higher tiers are always watching to "pull them out" before fatal damage. But I like the characters and the system, so I'm hoping they quickly get to the actual war stuff where people die. If it takes too many more books I might be with you though.

Part of it is the complete lack of DotF-style cultivation bullshit though, as I often end up reading this series after that one, and it is like a breath of fresh air to just have them "absorb a skill" and now they have it, no 700 pages of fucking building a core and tempering a body and contemplating the dao and whatever complete bullshit that guy dreams up next while sniffing his own farts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Reborn apocalypse is pretty good.

Not sure what all you’ve read, but my favorites in the genre are dungeon crawler carl and ripple system. Ripple system is a VR MMO one so stakes are ultimately pretty low in the grand scheme of things, but it’s just a really fun read
I finished system change / system universe book 1 and started reading Ripple. I enjoy it so far! I'm a bit tired of Travis Baldree though, I've listened to so many books (probably 20+?) he's narrated and his range for different voices just isn't that high. It's funny because I had a conversation with him about the value of AI voices for narration and my position was that AI voices will be able to do very different voices (his response was that multi-cast narration is a thing). Now whenever I hear a book he narrates I just think of the other handful of characters he's voices that have the same intonation.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I finished system change / system universe book 1 and started reading Ripple. I enjoy it so far! I'm a bit tired of Travis Baldree though, I've listened to so many books (probably 20+?) he's narrated and his range for different voices just isn't that high. It's funny because I had a conversation with him about the value of AI voices for narration and my position was that AI voices will be able to do very different voices (his response was that multi-cast narration is a thing). Now whenever I hear a book he narrates I just think of the other handful of characters he's voices that have the same intonation.
That's a not uncommon problem. I think RC Bray is amazing, I can't help but hear Joe and Skippy as the characters in other things he narrates. I've found very few that have a wide range of character voices

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
He who fights monsters is my favorite series I think. Just because of the humor. I liked Victor of Tucson as well. The Stonehaven League series was neat due to the Matrix/Peripheral themes. I am reading the newest Randidly Ghosthound book now. All of these series could be read by a preteen. They might not follow everything but there is nothing more sexual than encountered on prime time tv.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed Downtown Druid. Not sure if it qualifies exactly though. But its RR.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just finished Shadeslinger, Ripple System 1.

I enjoyed it a lot, though I think some of the MMO aspects are somewhat worn out for me after having plauyed a dozen of the damn games over the years. I expect future books will be less generic MMO and more evolved, which is fine.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just finished Shadeslinger, Ripple System 1.

I enjoyed it a lot, though I think some of the MMO aspects are somewhat worn out for me after having plauyed a dozen of the damn games over the years. I expect future books will be less generic MMO and more evolved, which is fine.
As long as Frank continues to be Frank, I will continue reading.

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I just listened to the 4 current books over the past few weeks. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to. It was nice to read a non-Apocalyptic litrpg series where it is about just playing an awesome mmo.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got around to starting the Butcher of Ghadobra.

This one is really enjoyable. I like the like cyberpunk corporate aspect of it.