LitRPG

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
36,439
107,048
I'm more than halfway through mage errant which is like a less quality version of mother of learning (student centric but no time stuff), but still very enjoyable zero to hero.

for litrpg I finished 'system apocolypse' recently, which I enjoyed. Funny, I went into it right after cradle and it was jarring. Very quickly realized how quality the writing of cradle was.

I discovered system apocolypse because i've been using ai to track down finished series even though they're typically a bit iffy quality, kind of pivoting out of litrpg into zero to hero for this reason, as there's a lot more finished stuff.
 

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
9,871
9,788
Listening to Morningwood; Everybody loves large chests by Neven Iliev on Audible.

Started this this morning. First book is short but good so far. Protagonist is a mimic.
Go through book one mainly because of Hays, feels like a c tier movie you only watched because you really like one of the actors.
 

fris

Vyemm Raider
2,682
3,773
Man, I'm struggling with HWFWM. I'm almost half way through book 1, awesome that it's almost 24 hours in audible, most of the books seem to be 20+ hours long. I bought the first 12 on s crazy sale a while back.

1st, the narrator must have a sound board for " Jason says" and "Gary said". He'll say whatever the character says, pause, then add "character says ". I can't *sink* into this.

I know every main character has to have main character power, but I'm just not getting it. And his smugness after leaving a world where his family dissed him after his brother took his gf. No progression from lone looser to gifted adventurer.

And the political lean of the author isn't the worst, but enough that it's almost the straw on the camels back.

Does this get better? So many compare it to Primal hunter, and it's just not for me
 

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
7,382
36,884
Man, I'm struggling with HWFWM. I'm almost half way through book 1, awesome that it's almost 24 hours in audible, most of the books seem to be 20+ hours long. I bought the first 12 on s crazy sale a while back.

1st, the narrator must have a sound board for " Jason says" and "Gary said". He'll say whatever the character says, pause, then add "character says ". I can't *sink* into this.

I know every main character has to have main character power, but I'm just not getting it. And his smugness after leaving a world where his family dissed him after his brother took his gf. No progression from lone looser to gifted adventurer.

And the political lean of the author isn't the worst, but enough that it's almost the straw on the camels back.

Does this get better? So many compare it to Primal hunter, and it's just not for me
Funny, I thought the first 3 were the peak for that series.
 

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
3,666
3,409
Man, I'm struggling with HWFWM. I'm almost half way through book 1, awesome that it's almost 24 hours in audible, most of the books seem to be 20+ hours long. I bought the first 12 on s crazy sale a while back.

1st, the narrator must have a sound board for " Jason says" and "Gary said". He'll say whatever the character says, pause, then add "character says ". I can't *sink* into this.

I know every main character has to have main character power, but I'm just not getting it. And his smugness after leaving a world where his family dissed him after his brother took his gf. No progression from lone looser to gifted adventurer.

And the political lean of the author isn't the worst, but enough that it's almost the straw on the camels back.

Does this get better? So many compare it to Primal hunter, and it's just not for me

First book was very bad. It does get better, but the guys political lean gets worse.
 

Furry

Email Loading Please Wait
<Gold Donor>
29,132
43,073
On book 11 of HWFWM. It's a mid book series. There are redeeming parts, but the exposition and the author injecting his politics gets much worse as the series goes on. It's getting to therapy quest by therapist sanderson levels of THERAPY at times during book 11. Hard to say if I'd put it above or below dungeon fighter carl. The series have about an equal level of gay retarded going on. I definitely wouldn't be this far in the series if I didn't pirate it and wasn't getting paid to read it.
 

Void

Doin' Too Much
<Gold Donor>
10,889
13,864

Literally ARK the video game in book form. The author could be a poster here, from reading his bio (except he played EQ2 longer than any sane person should). Book is short, but not horrible, and easy to read. I mean, if you want to play ARK without playing it, here you go. I will read more when it comes out but I'm not expecting much.


Drop a space marine into a fantasy world and you have this book. It is fairly well written and has a lot more content than the first one, but we'll see how the second book goes. It doesn't actually have any litrpg elements if you aren't a fan of those; no stats or character sheets or system, etc. Just fantasy shit with a space marine running through it. Starts off with him very mission focused and cardboard-y, on purpose, but his conditioning is starting to unravel and he's developing a personality, so we'll see how that plays out. The world has a bunch of stuff that doesn't get fully explained right away, but eventually you start to get more info, which is good because there aren't massive lore dumps all over the place. You're just left a little confused because of terms and such for a long time. Nothing most people can't handle, unless you're a woman that asks 3 minutes into a movie who that guy is.

I give both books 3/5, but for different reasons, which should be apparent. Mostly just to see how things play out in future books.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
3,666
3,409
I get your point on the main character, but he does only sleep with female characters. Like every Litrpg the writer tends to push something and then within a couple pages contradicts that assertion directly. I actually find that pretty funny. The only one that isn't on your list that I really liked was Hell Difficulty tutorial. I have a feeling that you may have an issue with the number of characters in the main characters orbit as well as him being a generally unlikeable guy. Basically everyone he meets comments on how punchable his face is and how little emotion he shows. I think the only series I can think of that really fits your type without being heavily cultivating, which I can't stand, is Awaken Online. There are some dud books in the series and the side series meant to flesh out the other characters flopped for me. The initial bad guy is a meme though.

Loving Hell Difficulty Tutorial so far, just finished book 4. The ending of that book is amazing.
 

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
9,871
9,788
Man, I'm struggling with HWFWM. I'm almost half way through book 1, awesome that it's almost 24 hours in audible, most of the books seem to be 20+ hours long. I bought the first 12 on s crazy sale a while back.

1st, the narrator must have a sound board for " Jason says" and "Gary said". He'll say whatever the character says, pause, then add "character says ". I can't *sink* into this.

I know every main character has to have main character power, but I'm just not getting it. And his smugness after leaving a world where his family dissed him after his brother took his gf. No progression from lone looser to gifted adventurer.

And the political lean of the author isn't the worst, but enough that it's almost the straw on the camels back.

Does this get better? So many compare it to Primal hunter, and it's just not for me
I had same issue, all of them go away.
 
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Doin' Too Much
<Gold Donor>
10,889
13,864
Just started Hell Difficulty because of you guys mentioning it here. I'm about halfway through the first one, and I have just one question: does the main character ever grow out of being an insufferable prick?

I can't continue reading a series with a shithead main character, so if he's like that forever I might as well just save myself a few burst blood vessels and quit now.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
7,382
36,884
It's a wider character arc. He doesn't show emotion and has a punchable face. His actions show something else. He's frustrated by people who don't take action to better themselves, and not really willing to save them. If someone tries to better themselves, not faking it, he'll tell them how to get better. He even helps powerlevel if he feels like it's needed.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Doin' Too Much
<Gold Donor>
10,889
13,864
It's a wider character arc. He doesn't show emotion and has a punchable face. His actions show something else. He's frustrated by people who don't take action to better themselves, and not really willing to save them. If someone tries to better themselves, not faking it, he'll tell them how to get better.
Forever though? Because he reminds me of the faggot from Classroom of the Elite (anime) that I want to punch every time I watch it too. I get that the uninterested, emotionless mc is a thing in anime, but I still hate it. I hate it even more when I get to hear their thoughts in books like this one.

I get Nathaniel's motivations (although who the fuck shortens that name to Nat instead of Nate? is this author foreign?) for wanting people to help themselves, and hell, I can recognize that I'm probably similar in real life, but I wouldn't want to read 9+ novels about me being a douche either. It is like, we all knew Shane was right in The Walking Dead, but if he had killed Rick and been in charge the show would have been vastly different and felt like there was no hope. You know, sort of like how it felt after Negan showed up and people stopped watching. Entertainment needs to be entertaining, not just something to grind you down and make you wonder why you are consuming it when you always feel worse afterward.

Please, please tell me that he lightens up somewhat.
 
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

Email Loading Please Wait
<Gold Donor>
29,132
43,073
Emotionless characters can be done well. EG stannis baratheon. If everyone around them is so retarded and extreme/evil, a simple guy just fighting for what's right becomes someone you can cheer for, as we all know Stannis was the one true hero of westeros. It's hard to pull off though, and GRRM certainly didn't belittle him by calling his face punchable repeatedly. I'm finishing up all the HWFWM books this week, so I'll slap this story down next on my list. I just hope its not another wokeslop writer.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
7,382
36,884
Forever though? Because he reminds me of the faggot from Classroom of the Elite (anime) that I want to punch every time I watch it too. I get that the uninterested, emotionless mc is a thing in anime, but I still hate it. I hate it even more when I get to hear their thoughts in books like this one.

I get Nathaniel's motivations (although who the fuck shortens that name to Nat instead of Nate? is this author foreign?) for wanting people to help themselves, and hell, I can recognize that I'm probably similar in real life, but I wouldn't want to read 9+ novels about me being a douche either. It is like, we all knew Shane was right in The Walking Dead, but if he had killed Rick and been in charge the show would have been vastly different and felt like there was no hope. You know, sort of like how it felt after Negan showed up and people stopped watching. Entertainment needs to be entertaining, not just something to grind you down and make you wonder why you are consuming it when you always feel worse afterward.

Please, please tell me that he lightens up somewhat.
Him strongly pursuing power, for himself and the people in his group is pretty much his thing. He stays punchable and without visible emotion really.

At one point he tells two people in his party to start working a lot harder to get strong or he'll force them to go down to hard difficulty where they'll be safe. It's just the disconnect between his appearance and his actions that seems to be your issue. Later on we meet characters that are both emotionless towards everyone and ruthless.
 

Void

Doin' Too Much
<Gold Donor>
10,889
13,864
Him strongly pursuing power, for himself and the people in his group is pretty much his thing. He stays punchable and without visible emotion really.

At one point he tells two people in his party to start working a lot harder to get strong or he'll force them to go down to hard difficulty where they'll be safe. It's just the disconnect between his appearance and his actions that seems to be your issue. Later on we meet characters that are both emotionless towards everyone and ruthless.
That doesn't inspire me! Thank you for the info though.

Unless there is a comic/anime somewhere, I'm not sure where I'd even get a feel for his appearance, so I'm assuming you are speaking metaphorically. But that's the problem, because I get to hear his thoughts, and they are fairly repulsive. Like I said, I get the frustration with other people not pulling their weight, because that's pretty much every day at work for me, but no one else can hear my thoughts, and if I wrote them down I would imagine most people would consider me to be an asshole. Even if I'm right.

I will keep going because so many people seem to love it, but I've given up on multiple series because of this exact reason. Maybe it is just me. There is a series called We Fight Monsters (not to be confused with the much more popular and better HWFWM) where the mc is tasked with killing the mega-monsters on this world so he can go back home to Earth and his family. He's tried countless times to "win condition" other worlds and this is his last chance. He's literally spent lifetimes doing it. So now on his last chance, he's all about damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead, to the point where he constantly has to tell all the women that lust after him that he ain't got time for that (despite countless lifetimes actually getting married and shit), and he doesn't want to take time to solidify his strength in the world after each boss kill, which would make a whole lot more sense than rushing onto the next one and getting tons of people killed (think WoW raids but with hundreds), all because suddenly he can't wait an extra couple of years?? If it were my last shot, I'd be a LOT more careful than all of my other ones, but perhaps I'm just retarded.

Hell, maybe it is just me, and you guys would love that series too.
 

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
7,382
36,884
Yeah, I wasn't trying to sell you on it, either you'll like it or you won't. I really liked books 1-3 of HWFWM, but not really at all after that. My post on it.

Post in thread 'LitRPG' LitRPG
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user