LK-99 Room-temperature Superconductor

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Instead of clogging other threads figured I would post this here. I dunno if it is going to be real or not but figure it is worth following just in case.

Overview:
LK-99 is a potential room-temperature superconductor with a gray‒black appearance.[2]: 8  It has a hexagonal structure slightly modified from leadapatite, by introducing small amounts of copper. The material was first discovered and manufactured by a team of researchers including Sukbae Lee (이석배), and Ji-Hoon Kim (김지훈) from Korea University (고려대학교; KU).[2]: 1  The team claims it functions as a superconductor at ambient pressure and below 400 K (127 °C; 260 °F).

In simple terms the main constraint on conductors is loss of energy via heat dissipation. A room temperature superconductor would, as I understand it, alleviate this issue to a large degree. Its hard to overstate the potential behind this as it could essentially obsolete most of our current technology. Processing power would increase exponentially. I've seen this development compared with the invention of the transistor. If its true its a huge deal.

Also worth noting that this is made from copper and lead, so its going to be incredibly cheap. People are claiming to have imperfectly recreated this in their kitchen to give you an idea. There is also some sort of tie in with levitating rocks, but I'm not sure I understand that part of it yet.

I'll spoiler some sources but as of today there is allegedly one confirmed replication of the original experiment so we're potentially moving toward this being confirmed.

Original release:

Alleged confirmation - note this guy seems to be following this closely and may be worth following independently for updates if you care.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure tons of other people will be trying to verify, should be more news coming in the next few weeks. If it's real it's definitely huge and will make anything electric dramatically more efficient. Slam-dunk Nobel Prize if it's real so even a hint of an effect will be enough to give it a lot of attention.

1690918923642.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I read a little bit about the drama with the publication for this. Nobel prizes can only be split among 3 people, and more than 3 people want credit, so there's some competition from the individuals responsible who are publishing results and trying to solidify their name as being a key contributor.

A series of academic publications summarizing initial findings came out in 2023, with a total of seven authors across four publications. The first publication appeared on arXiv on 22 July, listing Young-Wan Kwon, former Q-Centre CTO, as third author. A second preprint listed as third author Hyun-Tak Kim, former principal researcher at the Electronics & Telecommunications Research Institute and professor at the College of William & Mary.

Will be interesting to see more replication attempts come in.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read a little bit about the drama with the publication for this. Nobel prizes can only be split among 3 people, and more than 3 people want credit, so there's some competition from the individuals responsible who are publishing results and trying to solidify their name as being a key contributor.

Will be interesting to see more replication attempts come in.

That seems like a fairly horseshit rule by the Nobel people. I get not including every fucking intern that contributed, but having an arbitrary limit is dumb.

Also, I'm with Big P that it is likely horseshit, but all the UFO crazies here tell me we've got ant-gravity and shit hidden away already, so this seems pretty tame in comparison. You'd probably need something like a room temp superconductor to make anti-gravity work in any capacity, I'd imagine.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Also, I'm with Big P that it is likely horseshit, but all the UFO crazies here tell me we've got ant-gravity and shit hidden away already, so this seems pretty tame in comparison. You'd probably need something like a room temp superconductor to make anti-gravity work in any capacity, I'd imagine.
My hair-brained theory is that they'll use alien disclosures as a cover for releasing a lot of technology that was discovered with black budgets and kept under wraps. I don't believe in aliens, but I do believe in existing power structures using their power to keep innovation from the market to maintain power. Something changed*, so now its time for alien technology to explain why we leap forward 80 years in fields like physics that have done nothing since WW2.

Probably stupid, but its something I think about when putting all this weird stuff together.

*Something changed... like the West is losing control over commodity markets, time to nuke them with new tech

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My hair-brained theory is that they'll use alien disclosures as a cover for releasing a lot of technology that was discovered with black budgets and kept under wraps. I don't believe in aliens, but I do believe in existing power structures using their power to keep innovation from the market to maintain power. Something changed*, so now its time for alien technology to explain why we leap forward 80 years in fields like physics that have done nothing since WW2.

Probably stupid, but its something I think about when putting all this weird stuff together.

*Something changed... like the West is losing control over commodity markets, time to nuke them with new tech
My brother in Christ, these guys have been working on this shit since the 1990s in Korea. This didn't come from no where.
The name LK-99 is from the initials of discoverers Suk-bae Lee and Ji-hoon Kim, and the year of discovery (1999).[13] The pair had originally been working with Professor Tong-Shik Choi (최동식) at Korea University in the 1990s.[14]

In 2008, researchers from Korea University founded the Quantum Energy Research Centre (퀀텀 에너지연구소; also known as Q-Centre).[6] Lee would later become CEO of Q-Centre, and Kim would become director of research and development (R&D) at Q-Centre.

When Tong-Shik Choi died in 2017, he requested in his will that LK-99 research be continued. Q-Centre got new funding in the same year and interest in LK-99 research was renewed in 2018.[citation needed]

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
My brother in Christ, these guys have been working on this shit since the 1990s in Korea. This didn't come from no where.
Yea I said it was hair-brained! I reserve the right to be correct when we're all driving Jetson cars by 2035 though

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Can we merge this with the lumi thread? There is a lumi thread, right?

• 1Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yea I said it was hair-brained! I reserve the right to be correct when we're all driving Jetson cars by 2035 though
I hate to be the one to have to break this to you, but anti-gravity does not currently exist in this time/space/dimensional frame of reference.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Huge game changer if true. For grid level energy storage applications, would probably put batteries out of business.

Could be the breakthrough needed for magnetic confinement fusion energy.

I'm sure a bunch of Navy guys have boners about its uses for a rail gun.

Much cheaper MRIs.

I look forward to randomly thinking about this again in 20 years when none of this comes to fruition and looking up an article about why it was a sham.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Man think of the EM drives you could make with this stuff

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This isnt tame, easy to produce room temp superconductors are on par with anti gravity in terms of impact to humanity.

• 1Solidarity