Lockheed Martin puts out a Fusion Related Press Release

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
If Cad was elected dictator for life next year, my first order of business would be to allocate 50% of the defense and brown-people slaying budget to 1> NASA, 2> fusion research, 3> genetic engineering research. And I'd supervise it personally and make sure it did not turn into some government program pile of shit.

We arefigurativelyshooting ourselves right in the face by using fossil fuels on the scale we are using them. Especially when the technology exists to have emissions-free nearly unlimited electricity.
Good call.

In one of his smarter acts as president, Bush Jr sunk significant money into the Human Genome project. It was a success; it is already starting to pay dividends in individualized medicine and we are just scratching the surface of its usefulness. So more money into genetic engineering is well spent. According to the doctors I've heard speak on the subject, the next easy step is to bring data correlation into medicine. Establishing which genes allow a particular treatment to be effective or ineffective is extremely valuable.

Fusion research is fine, but it is pretty well funded as is. The bigger immediate impact would be opening the door for modern fission plants to replace fossil fuel plants, investing in the research of enabling technologies for better electric cars and accelerating the release of self-driving vehicles. Those 3 things would cut our reliance on fossil fuels MASSIVELY.

And yes, NASA needs real funding and a clear set of goals. I think they are pretty well aligned on goals, but their funding is shit. Bump it up and establish the United States of Space, bitches.

edit: fix grammar

This MIT prof is SO BUTTHURT that LM may have beaten him to the miracle:

rrr_img_79453.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not sure that's butthurt as much as it is academic shit talk. "We are highly skeptical" translates to "Fags are so full of shit their gay partners need to get a doctor to unfuck their gastrointestinal tract from their reproduction system."

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Not sure that's butthurt as much as it is academic shit talk. "We are highly skeptical" translates to "Fags are so full of shit their gay partners need to get a doctor to unfuck their gastrointestinal tract from their reproduction system."
I'm with Tuco, that's shit talk not butt hurt. Butt hurt will be if the Lockheed shows them how close they are and MIT deems them not to be full of shit, then they will be butt hurt.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
A for-profit company makes an outrageous claim that is not feasible or even physically possible at this time?
News at 11.

ScreamCo has plans for a new pocket sized battery that will contain enough energy to power a fleshlight for 1,000,000 years or power at YT-1300 Light Freighter in at least 11 parsecs.

My statement and Lockheeds have the exact same amount of cred.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
If scream co had built one vehicle as complex as any of these maybe you'd have a better point, skepticism is good but it's not like it's some Italian scam artist making the claims either.

List of Lockheed aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, didn't realize I was dealing with both an aeronautical engineer and theoretical nuclear physicist.

So tell me fanaskin, what does creating aircraft have to do with manufacturing a massive heat withstanding tokamak on the scale they claim to be able to do?

You're the expert here and all. I can't wait for your well educated reply delving into stable plasma dispersion and magnetic containment. I mean, you wouldn't DARE be just talking out your ass right?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Oh, didn't realize I was dealing with both an aeronautical engineer and theoretical nuclear physicist.

So tell me fanaskin, what does creating aircraft have to do with manufacturing a massive heat withstanding tokamak on the scale they claim to be able to do?

You're the expert here and all. I can't wait for your well educated reply delving into stable plasma dispersion and magnetic containment. I mean, you wouldn't DARE be just talking out your ass right?
what do you do for a living? I bet it's like man a toll booth.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
what do you do for a living? I bet it's like man a toll booth.
I man a toll booth.

How does it feel to know that a man that mans a toll booth has a better grasp on simple concepts like the difference between building a flying machine and building a sustainable fusion reactor(in a smaller form factor no less)? Or that a man that mans a toll booth can see when a company that makes it's bread and butter killing people is going to make a claim like "We Will Save the World" to appeal to its share holders (note the spike in their share price on the 16th after a long drag).

So, since we have established that I, the toll booth man, can understand these things, what do YOU do?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I don't know anything about fusion reactors. But I know about love.
"The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love."- Henry Miller

Love is a true fusion reactor. Call me. XOXO

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
To be fair, LHM has been involved in Energy for a long time, so its not really out of left field.

Energy Lockheed Martin

It would be hysterical if they got it and made the $50 billion tokamak being built in France obsolete before its even finished.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
To be fair, LHM has been involved in Energy for a long time, so its not really out of left field.
See, and I knew that. And you knew that. But fanaskin didn't know that. Hence he linked me a list of aircraft.

It would be hysterical if they got it and made the $50 billion tokamak being built in France obsolete before its even finished.
I doubt in Lockheeds wildest speculative dreams do they think their device will be even close to 500MW in the beginning, so research into magnetic containment would still be were the smart money is.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
See, and I knew that. And you knew that. But fanaskin didn't know that. Hence he linked me a list of aircraft.

I doubt in Lockheeds wildest speculative dreams do they think their device will be even close to 500MW in the beginning, so research into magnetic containment would still be were the smart money is.
The list of aircraft does give Lockheed credibility. Which is not to say we should accept what they say without proof, but it does mean we should sit up and listen when Lockheed says it as opposed to random guy asking for investors.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
The list of aircraft does give Lockheed credibility.
Not really. They have given ZERO details about just how the fuck they plan to contain the amount of heat in a device that small. They are interested in media attention. I understand taking a company like them seriously, but when the hundreds of scientists working on the ITER that Lleauaric referenced above are skeptical about the claims, I am going to roll my eyes at the for profit company that makes planes.

If we get our working prototype in 5 years, then awesome. But we won't. They want funding and adoration. Half of their published material even has the "PATENTS PENDING!!" copy you see in late night infomercials.