Lockheed Martin puts out a Fusion Related Press Release

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If math is all about the numbers, and a slide rule is a tool used to fux with those numbers, then isn't a calculator a battery powered slide rule?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
NnHmZjg.gif

A new opponent takes to the arena. Smart phone wins, fatality.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Did they use a slide rule when landing a spacecraft on Mars?
No but if they had the climate orbiter probably wouldn't have crashed. The thing about computers and calculators is they are GIGO - we've come to trust the numbers. Whereas with a slide rule (as pointed out in the NPR audio) you get a better feel for whether the answer you just got is right or way off.

Raising the stakes:

This guy argues calculators are obsolete (replaced by PCs for all practical purposes).

Slide rules | The Endeavour

If math is all about the numbers, and a slide rule is a tool used to fux with those numbers, then isn't a calculator a battery powered slide rule?
Cook's answer (and I would go further):

I?d recommend using a slide rule in high school for the same reason as using an abacus in elementary school: because it?s tangible, not because it?s practical.
Elaborating: as I've mentioned before, unlike a calculator (scientific or otherwise) a slide rule actually encourages you to "play with it". You can not explore/play with a calculator the way you can with a slide rule.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I edited it before you posted, Smartphone.
But it has to be running ontop of some kind of mini-CAS. In any event rational laziness is winning the day.

@Sabbat I want to wax philosophical about slide rules for a second - and I'm paraphrasing someone who I can't find on the web right now - not my idea originally, but I agree with whomever I am paraphrasing.

The logarithmic slide rule representation of the number line (go see one of the videos or online or see a jpeg above), is a physical manifestation of how we as humans perceive numbers. If you look at the C/D scale you'll see that the numbers from 1 to 2 have twice the gradations as from 2 to 4 and five times the gradations as from 4 to 10.

When the average human thinks of numbers he thinks of 1-19 as close, 20-40 or 50 as middling and numbers beyond 50 as very far. Indeed the English language represents our thinking with unique numbers for 1-20 (one, two, eleven, twelve) and from 20 on up, all numbers except for the beginning of a decade (twenty/thirty) are of similar non-unique forms (twenty-one, fifty-one). The only unique number missing from the C/D scales is zero - which also ties into human psychology regarding math: zero was a very late concept.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Somehow I have the feeling that Tad sells Slide rules for a living.
His only customer is himself, well and a few dirty hipsters.

Tad seriously stop with this faggotry. Slide rules give you a better feel? How about they make it overly time consuming to do complex calculations involving relativity in order to put something on another planet.

Again, it is clear you suck at math and need your dildo toy to visualize and conceive what people can do in their head.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
if technology is what is slowing down math education then we should go back to using log tables. Slide rules are a technological advance that was created to make computations quicker and less tedious, same reasons numerous CAS exist. Of course reverting back to previous technology is retarded so it will not happen.

The reason math education does not reach the kids is because we teach nothing but shitty computations to them. Instead of exploring the logic underlying mathematics, kids are taught computations without any reasons for these computations.Memorizing formulas to compute meaningless shit is not going to inspire anybody.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The reason math education does not reach the kids is because we teach nothing but shitty computations to them. Instead of exploring the logic underlying mathematics, kids are taught computations without any reasons for these computations.Memorizing formulas to compute meaningless shit is not going to inspire anybody.
I know thats why I hated Math growing up.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
After reading a little more, this seems to be very interesting Lockheed making the vessel smaller seems like a good idea for testing, instead of that ITER mess in France..